Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just read that one of the 2 exhaust tip on the Giulia base/Ti is fake. Having driven mostly domestic V8s, the concept of a fake exhaust is foreign to me. So is it the left or right tip that has no air flow? Would this engine gain any power if exhaust air was allowed to exit on both sides?
Thanks,

·
Registered
658 Posts
The answer is neither or both because the Ti uses both but the 3 1/2" pipes you see aren't actually part of the exhaust they just shroud the 2 1/4" actual exhaust pipes.

Several companies have or are about to have 3rd party exhausts with a combination of larger diameters and less restrictions on flow. But mainly with a better growl, my main complaint about the factory Ti exhaust is you don't really hear it from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The answer is neither or both because the Ti uses both but the 3 1/2" pipes you see aren't actually part of the exhaust they just shroud the 2 1/4" actual exhaust pipes.

Several companies have or are about to have 3rd party exhausts with a combination of larger diameters and less restrictions on flow. But mainly with a better growl, my main complaint about the factory Ti exhaust is you don't really hear it from the drivers seat.
Ah, thank you for the clarification. So exhaust gas actually exits from both tips, just that the actual tips are smaller, covered by the larger diameter tips. Got it. This is akin to Michael Keaton wearing the batsuit to make him look muscular.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you look at the tailpipes up close, you can see the real pipe diameter inside the wider shroud.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just like a factory inspired the birth of a son....

...akin to Michael Keaton wearing the batsuit to make him look muscular.
That is the most obscure and anachronistic reference I have heard in a long, long time. From now on I am only using 30 year old Tim Burton movies as the source of all of my metaphors and similes!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Just wait for a chilly morning (they're coming!) and see whether steam comes from both.

Many of today's tailpipe bezels are actually mounted to the rear fascia rather than the exhaust pipes. Audi wins the fakery award; no exhaust gases flow through its oh-so-phony tips.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just wait for a chilly morning (they're coming!) and see whether steam comes from both.

Many of today's tailpipe bezels are actually mounted to the rear fascia rather than the exhaust pipes. Audi wins the fakery award; no exhaust gases flow through its oh-so-phony tips.

That was certainly not true with my 2008 RS4 (which I traded in for my Quad). Those two obscenely large exhaust tips were entirely functional and the sound was epic.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts

Where does the exhaust actually come out? Fascinating that is all fake.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Where does the exhaust actually come out? Fascinating that is all fake.
On that SQ5 it comes out of all 4 tips
it has a new V6 3.0t with dual exhaust and 4 exhaust outlets, tips are however mounted on valance, seems to be very common on many new vehicles

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
On that SQ5 it comes out of all 4 tips
Not according to this Autoweek article:
The SQ5 adds typical S-Line styling touches, including a platinum gray grill, standard LED headlights, aluminum mirror caps and a rear roof spoiler. Do you like those double-dual exhaust tips tucked into the corners of its rear valance? Well, they’re fake -- not even cut out. The real pipes point down behind the bumper. Audi says the simulated tips allowed more styling flexibility, but this reviewer is still scratching his head.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-audi-sq5-first-drive-benchmark-updated#ixzz4qgUzvQMM

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Interesting, I thought we were done with that, my last car with hidden exhaust pipes like that was C5 A6 almost 20 years ago, it didnt even had exhaust tips :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, I thought we were done with that, my last car with hidden exhaust pipes like that was C5 A6 almost 20 years ago, it didnt even had exhaust tips :)
Are you referring to the C5 Corvette? I see them all the time, with 4 oval tips right below the license plate, all functional.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Have exhaust tips become synonymous with power? Now that they're all but ubiquitous, I think they've lost some of their meaning. They don't make, for example, a Dodge Dart the equal of a Ferrari GTO or Jaguar E-Type. But buyers have come to expect them. Maybe some even think a car that doesn't have a pair is an EV. The practical me says they add weight and are vulnerable to damage. Sure, they (usually) look good. But there are many things more important to me than something I can't see or feel from the driver's seat. <rant font off>

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Are you referring to the C5 Corvette? I see them all the time, with 4 oval tips right below the license plate, all functional.
I thought the reference was to an Audi A6.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The reasons why many contemporary cars have the exhaust tips integrated in the bumper cover essentially boil down to style and ease of assembly (hence, ultimately, cost).

The exhaust must be free to move relative to the body, so designers and engineers must leave a certain amount of clearance around the tip, when it's mounted on the actual exhaust line. This will limit the diameter of the tip, or lead to ungainly cutouts in the bumper cover. With the tips on the bumper, you have no empty space between the chrome ring and the bumpers. That makes designers happy. The required clearance now becomes the space between the chrome tip and the actual exhaust inside (this is why they're so different in diameter).

Also, with the classic exhaust-mounted tips, care must be exercised during assembly so that the tips are correctly centered relative to the bumper cutouts (Ferrari had special tools for the 360 and F430 for that purpose), and be at the correct level relative to the bumper - i.e. not sticking out or being recessed.

Finally, bumper-mounted tips allow for product variance at minimum cost. Want to introduce titanium tips, black tips, change their shape? No need to have a specific exhaust made by the supplier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bad. Mistakenly thought C5 = Corvette 5th Generation, A6 = 6-speed automatic transmission.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts