Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to suggest that when posting a new thread to discuss problems or concerns or just sharing experiences with your new Giulia, please state which model Giulia you own! Base, Ti, Quadrifoglio, AWD, etc. The reasons are obvious.
Also, not to continue to beat a dead horse, but, it's a Quadrifoglio. Not a Quadrifoglio Veloce or a QV. If Quadrifoglio is too much to type, Giulia Quad is an acceptable compromise. Am I picking nits? Some may say yes. Sure, do as you like. Spell Alfa, alpha. Put Dextron in your transmission. Lower the top on your spyder. Change your break pads. We see you and know you by the words that you type and the sentences that you compose.
Trying to keep it real, and the flame burning bright.
AlfaAndy
Too many Alfettas and GTV6s and Milanos to remember.
Current stable:
67 Giulia GT Veloce
74 Giulia Spider
74 Giulia GTV
86 Spider Graduate
91 164B (aka 164V, {yes-yes bring it on}base model with S cams, Speed factory eprom "chip", Stebro straight pipe and rear can) took her to 156 mph and almost 300k. Gone but not forgotten.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Also, not to continue to beat a dead horse, but, it's a Quadrifoglio. Not a Quadrifoglio Veloce or a QV. If Quadrifoglio is too much to type, Giulia Quad is an acceptable compromise.
FYI QV stands for Quadrifoglio Verde, not Quadrifoglio Veloce......:wink2:

Reactions: Rossonero3

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also, not to continue to beat a dead horse, but, it's a Quadrifoglio. Not a Quadrifoglio Veloce or a QV. If Quadrifoglio is too much to type, Giulia Quad is an acceptable compromise.
FYI QV stands for Quadrifoglio Verde, not Quadrifoglio Veloce......
Yes this. Historically, Quadrifoglio verde (green) for the top sporting model, Quadrifoglio oro (gold) for the top luxury model.

Say QV, most Alfisti will understand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The first road-legal Alfa to bear the Cloverleaf was the 1963 Giulia TI Super more known as "Giulia Quadrifoglio"
"Quadrifoglio Verde" and "Quadrifoglio Oro" were coined in early 80's as sporty and luxury trim, original Cloverleaf was green only and no need to call it green.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI QV stands for Quadrifoglio Verde, not Quadrifoglio Veloce......:wink2:
Ah yes, I forgot to include that one.
Still, for 2017 Alfa Romeo offers several Giulia models, none are called a Quadrifoglio Verde or QV.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Calling it a "Quad" might be interpreted by some people as 4 wheel drive (AWD). I like "QV"

·
Registered
150 Posts
The pronounciation of Quadrifoglio is great. I have to do the the Pizza/Pasta thing with my hands when I say that. Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is even better. I have to do the Cornetto thing when I say that mouthful.

QV is fine; I can't think of any negative connotations as it is just two, short, single syllable letters that are easy to say. Plus, actually knowing what the V stands for when it isn't part of the official name makes me feel part of the club.

But all of this pales into insignficance when I hear people say "ro-me-oh" rather than "ro-MAY-oh".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to put too fine of a point on it ,but NO.

If Alfa can't figure out a standard nomenclature over the life of their brand, why should I conform to your perceived standards for what is correct.
Case in point the Milano trim levels were not rolled out as Quadrifoglio Gold, Silver etc. but as simply Silver, Gold, and Platinum even though the badging to denote this was a quadrifoglio in the color of the trim level. The best part is the top level commonly known as the "Verde" wasn't even called this by Alfa. It was the 3.0 litre!

My Milano is a Verde or QV and as far as I am concerned any alfa with a green cloverleaf is a QV. No matter your opinion this is technically correct because it wears a Quadrifoglio Verde badge.

Besides it is a royal pain with my crappy typing skills to write Quadrifoglio all of the time.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm curious, is there any relationship between Alfa's 4-leaf and the NBA Boston Celtics' 3-leaf?
Quadrifoglio is a symbol of luck in the Italian culture
Boston Celtics 3 leaf, the Shamrock, is a symbol of Irish culture, St. Patrick and all......

The point being there is no relation at all about the Quadrifoglio and the Shamrock

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,787 Posts
whilst we are on the subject

Base Giulia is just called Giulia,
in the US it comes as 280hp, rest of the world, Giulia is 200hp
then there is diesel which comes in 136, 150, 180 and 210 hp

no it has nothing to do with the Boston Celtics, Pizza Hut or Cappuccino, it is Alfa Romeo, derived from a company called Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili (A.L.F.A), which was bought by Nicola Romeo

i have no idea why they initially called it Quadrifoglio Verde and then dropped the Verde from the name, but Qf also works for me

perhaps QV6 might be a great compromise as a lot of Alfa nomenclature referred to either the cylinders or the horsepower

4C
8C
24HP (first Alfa ever)
the Montreal didnt even get an official name and was named by the fans after the city's motor show in which it first appeared in

im going with QV6 :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When speaking, Quadrifoglio is such a lovely word, why change it?
When typing, if you are seeking expediency, Giulia Q would work.
Quad. Perhaps this could be confusing. One might think that you are referring to a Suzuki ATV, or the freshman dorm at the University of Pennsylvania, or the libation from Weyerbacher Brewing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm waiting for the QV cabriolet to be released. Then I can have a Giulia Quad Cab. I'm sure Chrysler must have some decals in the Dodge Truck parts inventory I can slap on it.

Seriously though for not wanting to beat a dead horse this one sure is flat.

Take a deep breath and find acceptance. If anyone wants to look down their nose at me over the semantics of what they feel is the proper and only way to designate the QV I'm alright with that. I'm a current and future Alfa owner with a deep respect for the brand so I feel I've a right to my opinion without being considered a troll.

By the way I own a Fiat 500 GQ Abarth Cabriolet so that's the Ab Cab right? Isn't shortening words fun!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
"Quattroformaggio" was awesome! :D And the 4Cs original headlights were used to grate that "cheese." The headlights turned me off of that car. Main reason I aimed higher for Ferrari. But fate would bring me back just in time for the Quadrifoglio. And seriously, in Italian, Quadrifoglio just mean four leaf, literally. It might have idiomatic meaning in the sense of a four leaf clover, but the words do not on their own. Foglio and pagina are both used for "pages" or sheets. Quadrifoglio on it's own, to a librarian or scholar, and especially those working with rare and early books/manuscripts, might think you are referring to a 4 fold sheet of paper that is cut AFTER printing to make a book about coffee table size or textbook size. It's cut in quarters basically (Quarto, actually). Octavo, means 8 fold, and is the classic size or choral music or larger paperback books. 8.5 by 5 inches or so. Roughly half a printer sheet.

The new 4C headlights are beautiful "Milanese" conversions from the original "Parmigiana." ;) Just seeing those cheese grater headlights made the skin on my knuckles hurt.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alfa call their 4wd system Q4, so Giulia Q would be confusing.
I guess Quattro was taken.
IMO, the Q4 badge looks and sounds ridiculous.
I'll be debadging that on mine.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm waiting for the QV cabriolet to be released. Then I can have a Giulia Quad Cab. I'm sure Chrysler must have some decals in the Dodge Truck parts inventory I can slap on it.

Or, the Giulia Quadrifoglio cabriolet with the special edition interior. The Giulia J Crew Quad Cab.

Reactions: alfaverde

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't like the term 'QV' but that's the accepted nomenclature, and so I use it.

Thus is the nature of a living language.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts