Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.
Just picked up a new white Ti Sport last week. Love this car.
Today, out of curiosity, I checked the build date and it says 7/17. This leaves me confused, because I know the dealership just got it in within the 2 days before I bought it - I had been stalking their lot and website for weeks hoping for the exact build/color to show up. When I saw this one pop up online and showed up to the lot, the salesman couldn't initially find the car and when they did bring it up front it had all of the factory wrappings all over inside and out. It had 16 miles on it.
Where could it have been the past year and why? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Could have been at another dealer. My old local Alfa dealer just transferred 16 cars to the new Alfa dealer, and they sold 14 of them to yet another dealer. Stock gets moved around from time to time. When we bought my wife's Genesis in 2014, it was a 2013 with 20 miles on it. They had 'lost' it on the back lot. It was covered in dirt like it hadn't been washed or driven in months, but we didn't care at the price we were getting it at.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The window sticker says it was sold to the dealer I got it from, but I suppose maybe those can be reprinted it transferred - dunno. Just seems really weird.
Oh, and Android Auto works just fine and if I understand correctly a 7/17 build should be waiting for a flash for it to work.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,408 Posts
Same here. Took ownership of my 18 qv at the end of May and the build is 7/17

I wonder the same thing too

Reactions: Dr_Schlotkin

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dealership not on my windows sticker

Congrats an your new Ti!

I think July builds are the very best time to have the factory workers do their magic. Getting ready for August Holiday, in the “groove” of building since Feb.

This link can look up your factory Windowsticker. Insert your VIN, without the “<>”s at the end.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=<Insert VIN Here>

Never seen a dealership or FOB address, only the point of entry.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
you probably got a good deal on it - because although some like to think sales have been brisk or on target, it has been common for vehicles to sit at port in Italy for ten weeks, then sit at port in the US for ten weeks, and then get "moved around from time to time" between dealers, none of which would be considered signs of high demand.
not an issue for people purchasing from inventory, they have been getting great discounts and can talk about "exclusivity", but when people order vehicles and they get caught in the "let them sit at port because they aren't selling at the lot" thing, experienced by members on this forum, and now the stelvio forum, well, that is an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats an your new Ti!

I think July builds are the very best time to have the factory workers do their magic. Getting ready for August Holiday, in the “groove” of building since Feb.

This link can look up your factory Windowsticker. Insert your VIN, without the “<>”s at the end.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=<Insert VIN Here>

Thanks.
If you look at the bottom center of the digital window stickers you will see "ship to" and "sold to" fields that are blank. My physical window sticker has those filled in with the dealerships info.

I'm not really concerned, more of a curiosity. Excess inventory is a huge expense (cost of capital) that manufacturers/retailers of all sorts are very keen on minimizing, so for it to not even be offered up for sale for a year seems odd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats an your new Ti!

Now that you mention it, it shows a 7/17 build but is a MY '18. 7/17 seems like it should be a MY'17.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you for the link to find it the window sticker. My Julia is in transit and may be in Jacksonville by now but I was able to find the window sticker. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Congrats an your new Ti!

Is that really true of July builds? Makes me feel better about mine. I would have thought a later build means they work through the kinks of the first builds in July

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Are you somehow under the impression that when a model year is introduced the factory is stopped? Because that's not how it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you somehow under the impression that when a model year is introduced the factory is stopped? Because that's not how it works.
I was, but I guess that is only when retooling is needed for a new generation or something similar.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello there.
Just picked up a new white Ti Sport last week. Love this car.
Today, out of curiosity, I checked the build date and it says 7/17. This leaves me confused, because I know the dealership just got it in within the 2 days before I bought it - I had been stalking their lot and website for weeks hoping for the exact build/color to show up. When I saw this one pop up online and showed up to the lot, the salesman couldn't initially find the car and when they did bring it up front it had all of the factory wrappings all over inside and out. It had 16 miles on it.
Where could it have been the past year and why? Any thoughts?
I am going with it has been in a secret government facility undergoing tests. Ever see those secret government videos people upload which show what the NTSB does to cars? They will make you sick to your stomach!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
For those of us that took ownership of cars sitting in limbo for an extended period of time, is there a checklist of items we should do to ensure the car is tip top?

I already had to have my battery recharged because it had low voltage. I had to replace the washer fluid because it ran out after only 10 uses. I also wonder if there's rust anywhere that I may need to clean/remove. Are there other items? I'm only at 2500 miles so far but my car sat out for 10 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My coolant reservoir was low but haven't noticed anything else - though it only has 400 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I don't know if it really is a factor, but I imagine that at the factory, cars have to be accumulated into shipping orders, and that there is some maximum and minimum number of cars that make economic sense to ship out. Some cars probably wind up sitting at the factory lot waiting for shipments.

For example, say the ideal shipment size is 50 cars. If the factory can make, say, 70 cars a month in total, that's 20 more than can be shipped in a given month, so there's rollover shipping inventory. Additionally, not all 70 cars are built for the same market, so it's not a steady accumulation of rollover inventory and shipping, either, and one shipment may go 3 weeks after the previous, but another in 5 weeks.

Holiday schedules and completing custom builds must also impact factory output and shipping, and I'd imagine there is some number of cars which can be pushed to dealers, perhaps based on their inventory, and there is some number of cars which Alfa can or will hold in distribution lots (at port?) before they can take more factory shipments.

Not knowing how it all fits together, I wouldn't be worried about the build date too much provided the car had appropriately low mileage and was in new condition.

I have a MY18 customer ordered in June '17, built in Sept. '17, and which was delivered to the dealer-- window sticker says sold to and shipped to selling dealer-- in January '18.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts