Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question - do I have to have the tires installed at the Alfa Dealer? They want 2x what everyone else wants, including the dealers suggested by TireRack. I was going to go to a highly reviewed Firestone, unless someone knows for sure that I must go to Alfa.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, let me just preempt the smartass answer to my own question - "Have the tires installed on the wheels, dummy!"

Reactions: PNW_Giulia_Owner

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'd call any tire places and make sure they can activate the TPMS sensors before you order, I don't see any other reason than that. Make sure you take before pics for you wheels in case they get scratched.

·
Registered
402 Posts
yes, you can go to anyone to get new tires. If you are leasing and will be turning in with those tires, they must be the same size and characteristics (tread rating, speed rating, etc).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts
Also, let me just preempt the smartass answer to my own question - "Have the tires installed on the wheels, dummy!"
I've got tires installed in a hill side as a retaining wall. Ugly, but functional...

Anyway, if you have 19" wheels tirerack highly recommends going to a place that has roadforce balancing. That will double your mounting costs but reduce the chance of having shimmy problems. A tire installer that has the roadforce balancing equipment is also more likely to properly respect the finish on your wheels.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I called around to a whole bunch of places to get new tires installed on my QV. The place that I found that was the most reasonably priced, did road force balancing, and was actually willing to mount 30 series tires was... Discount Tire. I was skeptical, but they were fantastic and did a great job. They brought me back into the garage to show me where I had a few tiiiny paint chips and scuffs on my wheels before they even touched the car, then they showed me their equipment beforehand so I'd know they weren't using metal on my wheels to get the tires mounted. Obviously it will vary by location, but I was very happy with their work and customer service.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I go to America's Tire because they don't try to sell other services and they've always been nice. And they match prices though I have found they are always in line with tirerack.com

After I trash the stock tires on my QV (which won't take long) I will put Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. I've used them before and they handle great, look REAL good, and have a long tread life. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3%2B+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&frontTire=435YR9PSAS3PLXL&rearTire=83YR9PSAS3PLXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Alfa%20Romeo&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Giulia%20Quadrifoglio&autoModClar=

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firestone does do Road Force balancing. However, they also only delivered 3 tires. That's 75% in my book, but I'm not feeling like they earned a C+. I think we need to grade this one on a curve.

Will test on an off-camber 90 degree turn on way to work once, you know, the fourth tire arrives. Previous attempts have shown 0.88 and 0.91 (!!) on the g-meter. Ti Sport AWD with LSD on Cinturato P7 right now.

·
Vendor
3,752 Posts
Stupid question - do I have to have the tires installed at the Alfa Dealer? They want 2x what everyone else wants, including the dealers suggested by TireRack. I was going to go to a highly reviewed Firestone, unless someone knows for sure that I must go to Alfa.
No. Just stay away from Discount or Big-O or something. Go to someone who is a bit smaller, has a clean nice shop and offers lower prices. Should be about $40 per side. If the dealer was cheaper, no reason not get it done there but since they are too much look elsewhere. Always go for road force balance

I can't stand getting tires put on so I make sure I am at a good place that does a good job, not fast like Discount where they make tons of mistakes and cause damage.

·
Vendor
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Costco is an option (it was mine). Just make sure that you inspect with them your wheels before they touch them (and after the work is compete). Scratches on the wheels during dismounting/mounting the tires may happen and you don't want to realize that a couple of weeks later when you are washing your wheels. I also asked at AAA Bob Sumerel Tires and Service because they are the recommended place by Tire Rack and they charge $40 per tire when coming from Tire Rack. I do not think it is necessary to go to the dealer for tires, unless they charge less than $160 for the work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No. Just stay away from Discount or Big-O or something. Go to someone who is a bit smaller, has a clean nice shop and offers lower prices. Should be about $40 per side. If the dealer was cheaper, no reason not get it done there but since they are too much look elsewhere. Always go for road force balance

I can't stand getting tires put on so I make sure I am at a good place that does a good job, not fast like Discount where they make tons of mistakes and cause damage.
Why not Discount Tire? You have a bad experience?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The way I look at this is as follows: The dealership isn't a tire store. People don't go there to get tires, so they do, on average, FAR fewer installs than a franchise or indy tire shop. I'm taking my vehicle to the people who are good at what they do, and you get proficient by doing something a lot. End of the day, no dealer for me for tires.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The way I look at this is as follows: The dealership isn't a tire store. People don't go there to get tires, so they do, on average, FAR fewer installs than a franchise or indy tire shop. I'm taking my vehicle to the people who are good at what they do, and you get proficient by doing something a lot. End of the day, no dealer for me for tires.
The counter to that is the techs at the dealer are more skilled, know which end of the torque wrench is which, and are likely to take care with the car. And they sell and change enough tires. At a lot of tire places it’s the local high school kid that fell off the turnip truck that morning, and likely got stoned on the way to work. No offense to all the hard working stoners out there.

·
Vendor
3,752 Posts
Why not Discount Tire? You have a bad experience?
Always. They work too quickly. I have not been to one in ages. I had enough. I rather take to someone who will do it right. Balance it right and do a road force correctly. Many bad experiences with them. BIG -O too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Alfa dealer scraped up my brand new 19x9, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Always. They work too quickly. I have not been to one in ages. I had enough. I rather take to someone who will do it right. Balance it right and do a road force correctly. Many bad experiences with them. BIG -O too.
I use Discount Tire exclusively, and they have yet to damage one of my rims. Their customer service is excellent, and they fix flats for free...and their prices are excellent.

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
111 Posts
The counter to that is the techs at the dealer are more skilled, know which end of the torque wrench is which, and are likely to take care with the car. And they sell and change enough tires. At a lot of tire places it’s the local high school kid that fell off the turnip truck that morning, and likely got stoned on the way to work. No offense to all the hard working stoners out there.
I beg to differ, tire work is usually handed off to the grunts at the dealer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts