Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the new member section. Benvenuti to our new members!
But I'm curious to see if there has been a vehicle turnover among the older/original membership.
Just some names I remember when I joined back in 2016.
@BostonDMD @Simey @John_K_348 @mc3456 @lost1750GTV
I know I'm missing some people....so don;t feel slighted.
This happens as time passes

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,152 Posts
Add Racer Z (user name no longer current?), @MINIME , and @MacGeek .

lost bought a Stelvio. I do not think he ever had a Giulia.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Add Racer Z (user name no longer current?), @MINIME , and @MacGeek .

lost bought a Stelvio. I do not think he ever had a Giulia.
yeah @MacGeek went ghost around the 1st round of COVID. we messaged him to make sure he was okay but never heard back. Racer Z was a moderator and he disappeared as well.
Happens, especially when people change their rides

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,327 Posts
Was thinking the same thing the other day. I remember MINIME posting frequently in early 2018. It seems a lot quieter these days, in general.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Was thinking the same thing the other day. I remember MINIME posting frequently in early 2018. It seems a lot quieter these days, in general.
That happens when the product gets stale and people get bored. I'm on a bunch of forums and it ebbs and flows as new all-new models are released and then dies down.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
475 Posts
That happens when the product gets stale and people get bored. I'm on a bunch of forums and it ebbs and flows as new all-new models are released and then dies down.
BTDT although I'd venture to say its the forum that can sometimes cause it. I recently sold my 2010 Camaro SS which I bought new in June of 09, I was on the forum for it from 2 years before the car was released. It started with anticipation, then pre ordering, getting the cars, figuring them out, etc. I spent a few more years on the forum but as time passed people cycled through, wrecked their cars, etc. Then the audience started to get jaded, long answered questions got repeated, arguments happened over stupidity (like how many people were SO BENT that the 2010 Camaro wasn't like a 1969 where you could buy the cheapest V6 and just "drop in" a V8) , Horsepower guys hated all the cheesy visual mods out there (for every nice carbon fiber part there was 100 shitty pieces of plastic festooned with emblems), V6 guys became hell bent on finding a way to "beat" the V8 and would often overspend trying to get even close, and all the other tropes out there. It actually took away from my enjoyment of the car because looking at the forum was annoying. So I basically bailed on it. Didn't even bother trying to sell my car there in the classifieds. I took one look back and I was like, nah screw this place.

That does happen here sometimes, as well, but thankfully this car seems to attract a somewhat different crowd which is a good thing. But that doesn't change that some people sell their cars, some lose interest, and some just don't give much of a shit about the people they met here online.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
But I'm curious to see if there has been a vehicle turnover among the older/original membership.
I've been here since 2017, but I also disappeared for a couple years after October 2018 because I'd (stupidly) sold my first QV. Got another one a year ago and have been pretty involved out here since.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure what I am considered, but I’ve got a 2017 Ti. Still have it. Runs well. Extended warranty to 90k miles and have almost 60k on it now. Not sure what to do moving forward. Will look at grecale twin turbo when it comes out. Other than that, doubt my next one is an Alfa.
The only dealership here in San Diego is totally lame and I have no interest in doing business with them. Next closest dealer is way further away than what I want to deal with. If the grecale is interesting and not absurdly priced, I may go that route. If not, perhaps cayman gts 4.0.
Im in no rush but do want to get into something this year.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Accident took ours away mid 2019. Still poke around once in a while just limited in ability to contribute...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
yeah @MacGeek went ghost around the 1st round of COVID. we messaged him to make sure he was okay but never heard back. Racer Z was a moderator and he disappeared as well.
Happens, especially when people change their rides
Miss those macgeek days…..if he/she said it, it was gospel. Now all we get are opinions and half truths. Seemed like he/she was on the inside. Hope the vid didn’t get them down….

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Miss those macgeek days…..if he/she said it, it was gospel. Now all we get are opinions and half truths. Seemed like he/she was on the inside. Hope the vid didn’t get them down….
Didn't we get a partial view of him in the video of him driving his Alfa 8C convertible around town?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
8C?! 😱
Yes. They were about 1/2 of the USA price in Europe. Alfa did not have any dealerships in the USA at the time and had to "pay through the nose" to sell the cars in the USA.

He also said the convertible handles better than the lighter weight coupe. I find that the convertible is rather plain looking while the coupe is a stunner.

However, I remember incorrectly, there is no glimpse of @MacGeek in the video.

Here is a picture of the car

Here is the video

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Yes. They were about 1/2 of the USA price in Europe. Alfa did not have any dealerships in the USA at the time and had to "pay through the nose" to sell the cars in the USA.
Ahh! I didn't realize that. Sucks lol!

He also said the convertible handles better than the lighter weight coupe. I find that the convertible is rather plain looking while the coupe is a stunner.
Interesting, as I've always found convertibles to "flex" more in corners, hence the reason I haven't bought another convertible since my F355 F1 Spider. I got rid of it and bought an F355 GTS which was much more ridged even with the top out.

This was the late 90s, though, so maybe I need to give convertibles another go, as I'm sure they're much better these days. Just never would've figured one being stiffer than the hardtop counterpart.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Ahh! I didn't realize that. Sucks lol!

Interesting, as I've always found convertibles to "flex" more in corners, hence the reason I haven't bought another convertible since my F355 F1 Spider. I got rid of it and bought an F355 GTS which was much more ridged even with the top out.

This was the late 90s, though, so maybe I need to give convertibles another go, as I'm sure they're much better these days. Just never would've figured one being stiffer than the hardtop counterpart.
Yes, but $100k in the middle of a terrible recession is still a lot of money.

Read through the threads I pointed to and you will find his explanation for the handling differences.

Back to topic: @MacGeek had information that was really hard to come by. I think he knew more than he let on as well, but he has gone silent on all forums.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,933 Posts
The profile section used to show a last seen date but I don't think that's there anymore. But it was interesting to see as some people who used to post a lot but hadn't in a while, we're still visiting regularly

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the other hand, I've only been on the forum about a month, and am so jazzed about these cars, I visit twice a day. I'm from the BMW world, and never even gave AR a thought. But after buying what is considered the ultimate driver's car (M2CS) and being instantly bored, I searched for something new.

I think now that these cars are on their second owners, there will be a resurgence. Can't wait for my 2018 QV to arrive!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I was just curious. Seen it before on the M5forum. A natural evolution of sorts. People move on to other cars or really after 5 years there aren't many new things that pop up. I would venture to say the from late 2018 going forward the early issues have been identified and sorted...mostly;)
We've kicked this can already but it really resonates, the dealer network does more harm then good for Alfa unfortunately.
IF you have a solid dealer, your gold. If you don't 🙏 Dio Mio

·
Registered
148 Posts
If I could have any car in the world it would be the QV. I need a car that doesn't get uber attention, something that can ride more than 2 people, is fast and great handling. Based on those criteria the QV is a winner for me. I am going on two years ownership and every time I drive the car (weekend car) it is like a small little party. I still sit and stare at the car after washing it. I love the lines.

I like this forum, I wouldn't say I post a lot but I am here weekly. I like hearing how others enjoy their car. I like a good debate. I like people's opinion on other cars. I like cars and I enjoy people who like to talk cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts