Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install summer tires on my Q4 but am having some issues with shops that won't swap out the current run flats with non-run flats due to a safety policy. To anyone that has swapped tires from the stock run flats to non run flats, have you had this issue and how did you get around it. Do I just need to go to a smaller store that won't care about this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
That's super weird. Firestone did mine for cheap and perfectly. No one had any safety policies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bogus! Find another shop. Repair facilities have been installing tires on cars with PAX or RFT for years. The only time I have experienced a shop denying me a mount and balance was when I was trying to squeeze a wide tire on a narrow rim. My guess is:
1. They don't have the equipment to do the job safely and they don't want to risk damage to your wheel/tire.
2. They are unfamiliar with Alfas and they don't want to risk damage to the car and its parts.
I had winter tires put on the factory 18" wheels and the shop I use had no issues.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's super weird. Firestone did mine for cheap and perfectly. No one had any safety policies.
Interesting because I first asked the shop where I was getting my flat fixed and they refused. I went to firestone next door when picking up my car and the guy said he can’t swap run flats to non run flats, same issue saying I don’t have a spare so it’s a safety issue. He then also said he’s not sure they could even do anything on my car since it’s an Alfa..

I guess I have to keep looking for a shop that doesn’t claim this odd policy.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"don't have a spare"
the guy must be as old as me, it used to be illegal most places to sell a car without a spare, now the factories do it and give you a bottle of gunk and roadside assistance.

the regulations were probably changed to allow lighter vehicles to meet absurd economy standards

·
Registered
647 Posts
You don't wear a Yankees t-shirt or hat by any chance?

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I am trying to install summer tires on my Q4 but am having some issues with shops that won't swap out the current run flats with non-run flats due to a safety policy. To anyone that has swapped tires from the stock run flats to non run flats, have you had this issue and how did you get around it. Do I just need to go to a smaller store that won't care about this?
I just made this swap for my daughter’s BMW 228i at NTB with no questions/issues. The only one challenging the move to non-RFT was my wife!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Had the dealer do it pre delivery. No issues and they completely understood why I would want to do it and why I picked the non run flats I did. Hope you find a less officious tire dealer who will see sense and do this for you.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,794 Posts
its the same here in the land where women glow and men chunder

probably because there is a surplus of runflats, anyhow i just got 22,000 klms on a set of Bridgestone Potenza S001 - almost identical even wear on front and back in a staggered set-up

could probably squeeze another 1000klms out of them, but not if it gets wet soon - we havent had rain for, blardy eck, all summer mostly - maybe an odd day here and there, but yeah, good for lizards and bush shagging

sorry what was the question

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't wear a Yankees t-shirt or hat by any chance?
After almost 6 years here I have learned to keep my NY apparel more subtle and save a few bloody noses, my buddy was denied entry to a bar because he wouldn't coat check his Rangers jersey..

I just made this swap for my daughter’s BMW 228i at NTB with no questions/issues. The only one challenging the move to non-RFT was my wife!
NTB was next on my list of attempts as they are the next closest shop to me. I am keeping my current all-seasons since I can get one one more winter season out of them so I want to keep the shop local since I will likely need a few trips to get the tires back to my apartment.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
"don't have a spare"
the guy must be as old as me, it used to be illegal most places to sell a car without a spare, now the factories do it and give you a bottle of gunk and roadside assistance.

the regulations were probably changed to allow lighter vehicles to meet absurd economy standards
That is hysterical. All the QV's must be illegal because they have no spare and are not RF. The tire kit isn't going to help if you have a blow out anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My dealer also swapped out the run-flats with my new Michelen PSs before I ever took delivery of the car>:) - no issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Firestone refused to work on my car at all! They said they weren't comfortable working on "such an expensive car", and had never even seen one before. This is after I had my tires sent to them from tirerack. Of course they let me just take the tires, so I took them down the street to discount tire who put them on without any issue (despite being non-runflat, and going from 225/45/18 to 245/40/18).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems more likely to just be an annoying tire installer. Have you tried calling around?
I found a place near my office that did the swap no problem. Seems to be an issue with bigger chains. Even when I ordered the tires from Tirerack they gave a window making me confirm that I knew I was ordering non-runflats for a car equipped with run-flats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found a place near my office that did the swap no problem. Seems to be an issue with bigger chains. Even when I ordered the tires from Tirerack they gave a window making me confirm that I knew I was ordering non-runflats for a car equipped with run-flats.
Right, I had the same Tirerack popup, but it still let me order them just fine. Discounttire are a pretty big chain and also had no issues, but they tend to be more competent than Firestone, and less of a pain :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts