Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just upgraded the wheels on our QV from the original 5-hole wheels to the Bright Tecnico wheels, which are a nice, light forged wheel set and from a performance POV definitely the way to go. There have been some persistent rumors that these wheels don't clear the CCM brakes but we have not had any interference.

In the process, we decided to see if we could accomplish a mild "Plus Zero" tire upgrade too. We knew this was a tough ask as the wheel and tire package is fairly well optimized from the factory and there is not much additional room available, or many sizes that will work. Nonetheless we went with Michelin's new Pilot Sport 4S in 255/35-19 front and 295/30-19 rear - both nominally 10mm wider than the stock fitments. The overall tire diameter has grown by about 1% and is matched front to rear, which means this should not upset the traction or stability control systems. We also experimented with 5mm and 10mm spacers, but have settled on a 5mm spacer in the front and no spacer in the rear, which gives a nice flush fitment.

We chose the Michelins as we really love their predecessor, the Pilot Super Sport, on our 4C and wanted a tire that would work over a broader temperature range than the PZero Corsa, and also perform well in the wet. Tread wear wasn't a huge consideration but the Michelins are rated at 300 vs 60 for the

So far this new tire has performed well in testing, and we are pleased with the change. They seem to have equal sidewall stiffness to the PZero Corsa and are not giving up much grip if any. They are very smooth and quiet where the Zeros can be noisy on some types of pavement. They also took a very minimal amount of weight to balance out, while there was a ton of weight on the original wheels. The only rubbing we have had with the wider tires is at full lock while backing up and it is only a touch on the inner fender liner.

The Tecnico/Michelin combo is about 5 lbs lighter per corner than the 5-hole/Pirelli combo, which is terms of rotating mass is huge! I can post up the measured weights if anyone is interested in such details.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Love it Joe...looking forward to my set. Great to see a nice weight savings!

I have 5mm spacers currently on the front and rear.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the geeky stuff:

Tecnico/Michelin PS4S Front: 46.5 lbs
Tecnico/Michlein PS4S Rear: 52.5 lbs

5-hole/Pirelli PZero Corsa Front: 51.5 lbs
5-hole/Pirelli PZero Corsa Rear: 58.0 lbs

You definitely feel the weight difference when changing wheels, and the car does feel a little more responsive with the lighter set up as well.

The more miles I put on the Michelins the more I like them, although the PZeros were a really good tire as well. For my usage they were just outside of their temperature window pretty often. While the PS4S is not intended to be an all-season tire, I think they will be more tolerant of (dry) colder temperatures than the PZeros. In Colorado we often encounter 40s and 50s in the morning all through the summer, especially in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I love the technico wheels but got an amazing deal on the 5 holes so I will just have to stick to those for summer driving (other activities). I will defintely be changing the tire to something either proper RCOMP like hoosier or toyo R888Rs.

Thanks for the weights and the detailed post :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
We just upgraded the wheels on our QV from the original 5-hole wheels to the Bright Tecnico wheels, which are a nice, light forged wheel set and from a performance POV definitely the way to go. There have been some persistent rumors that these wheels don't clear the CCM brakes but we have not had any interference.

The Tecnico/Michelin combo is about 5 lbs lighter per corner than the 5-hole/Pirelli combo, which is terms of rotating mass is huge! I can post up the measured weights if anyone is interested in such details.

The more I see the tecnico wheels the more I like them......
In my eyes, it makes the Q look even more aggressive, if that is even possible..... plus the weight and $$ savings....

Thanks for posting Joe!

·
Vendor
619 Posts

Improved looks and less weight, perfect! Thanks Joe!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dear lord how I love the look of those 295 sitting beside the 255s.

But overall, that looks dope !! Plus weight savings on top of that? That's a win-win in my books. Great job!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Love my dark 5 Holes, but this looks like a great scenario for the Tehnico wheels.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The Beauty here is that the Q looks great in dark or light wheels !!!!

Can anyone suggest a good all season tire ? I've seen the Continental ExtremeContact and the Michelin Pilot Sport ? Being in NY, the Quad will be my daily sled...Office is close to the house and if there's snow, there's plan B (Ghibli S with Q 4).....

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update for anyone who is interested. I've put quite a few miles on the Michelin PS4S tires and they continue to impress.

I thought they were pretty grippy right out of the box but they seem to be even stickier now, and they gain grip when they heat up like race rubber does. They have good feedback but make more noise when cornering hard than the PZero Corsas did. When they let go they seem to be very easy to control. Overall I'm very happy to have made the switch.

We do have a couple more sets of the Tecnico wheels in stock, both Bright and Dark colors, if anyone is interested in a set without waiting...

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone suggest a good all season tire ? I've seen the Continental ExtremeContact and the Michelin Pilot Sport ? Being in NY, the Quad will be my daily sled...Office is close to the house and if there's snow, there's plan B (Ghibli S with Q 4).....
I've used both of those (Not on the Quadrifoglio). The Michelins are an amazing all-season tire, most people would not be able to distinguish between these and the best summer tires in the dry or wet. The Continental is not quite as good in the summer, but better in snow. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Tku

Thanks Joe....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great, now you got me going on these. I knew the Technicos were lighter and considered stock but I figured I'd want the Alfa style language of the 5 holes. Now I'm not so sure. It's bright for me the whole way too since that's my color preference. Almost looks like an F12 with the Technicos.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't PM since I don't have enough posts but wanted to say these are beautiful. I'll be a future buyer.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
The irony is that the 5 hole wheels are $500 option versus the standard equipment Tecnino’s.
My advice to anyone ordering the Quadrifoglio who has considered two sets of wheels is to get the Tecnico’s with the car then order the 5 hole wheels separately.
The price difference is staggering, here’s the info:

2017 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGILO OEM WHEELS

5 Hole Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CQ44U0OAA - $590 EA
- Rear wheel – 6EB13U0OAA - $602 EA

Tecnico Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CP07690AA - $1365 EA
- Rear wheel - 6EB0PU5RAA -$1385 EA

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The irony is that the 5 hole wheels are $500 option versus the standard equipment Tecnino’s.
My advice to anyone ordering the Quadrifoglio who has considered two sets of wheels is to get the Tecnico’s with the car then order the 5 hole wheels separately.

5 Hole Wheel

Tecnico Wheel

for that kind of money $5500 I can get nice aftermarket rims....that are forged as well...too bad I could not order my Quad....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

5 Hole Wheel

Tecnico Wheel
In June I ordered my QV with light Tecnicos!
Thanks for validating my decision!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
Here's the geeky stuff:

Tecnico/Michelin PS4S Front: 46.5 lbs
Tecnico/Michlein PS4S Rear: 52.5 lbs

5-hole/Pirelli PZero Corsa Front: 51.5 lbs
5-hole/Pirelli PZero Corsa Rear: 58.0 lbs

You definitely feel the weight difference when changing wheels, and the car does feel a little more responsive with the lighter set up as well.

The more miles I put on the Michelins the more I like them, although the PZeros were a really good tire as well. For my usage they were just outside of their temperature window pretty often. While the PS4S is not intended to be an all-season tire, I think they will be more tolerant of (dry) colder temperatures than the PZeros. In Colorado we often encounter 40s and 50s in the morning all through the summer, especially in the mountains.
All the more impressive given that 245 35R19 PZero Corsa is about 1 pound lighter than 255 35R19 PS4S (from Tirerack 23lbs versus 24lbs), so the rim weight difference is closer to 6 pounds.

Lighter wheels should exhibit less hop, giving better ability to get the power to the ground. Did you check 0 to 60 times and/or 60 to 0 distances before and after?

Losing 22 pounds of total weight can't hurt either.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts