Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my Guilia TI tomorrow.It's got 19's on it so I wanted to know if anyone has put spacers from Madness Autoworks on their cars ? and which size would you folks recommend ? any pics if possible. Thx:smile2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I ordered the black ones 5 front 17 back.

Did you get yours yet and put them on? How are they?

I'm wondering if I can lower my q4 and have spacers without rubbing.

Anyone else doing that combo that can give me a suggestion?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Ordered two sets of wheel spacers today. 5mm front and 17mm rear for base Giulia. I hope rear will not stick out. Decided to buy a Christmas present for myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may be a naive question but doesn’t adding spacers change the suspension geometry and, moving the wheel further out increase the unsprung weight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes. It's well-discussed in other threads. End point is any difference is not noticeable unless you're on a track. It's done for looks. Higher end sports cars already have the wheels near-flush or flush with wheel wells. Looks way nicer. Also a staggered off set is nice too and Q4 doesn't come that way.

Q4 also has too large of a wheel gap at the top so lowering is needed to make it actually look sporty.

That's my opinion anyways. Some of my friends don't feel it's necessary but for my eyes, it's necessary. I did both springs and spacers and I absolutely love the new look. The stance it came in at stock was like a family sedan.

But it's like people's choice of clothing. Number one it's gotta make you like what you see, everyone else's opinion is secondary.

Next is time to fix the sound...

·
Registered
529 Posts
End point is any difference is not noticeable unless you're on a track.
Pushing more tire to the outer part of the car will also help with grip, which will negate the increase in the marginal unsprung weight increase... so, yes, it'll be noticeable on track -- in a good way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes it changes the suspension geo, and no the unsprung weight is basically unaffected. the suspension geometry changes may require a slight adjustment by getting an alignment, theoretically it may add more negative camber. your Ackermann steering problem will most likely become more noticeable, but the alignment will not help that

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I got my wheel spacers today from MADNESS, and could not wait to put them on the car. It is kinda dark now, but I am going to check it out under the light. Two things:

1) none of the lock bolts that came with the package would fit. Did anyone had the same issue? I had no choice than to put the original ones back
2) For those that like the calipers close to the wheel, these wheel spacers will add that space, and thus the calipers look a little further in
3) I was surprised that the spacers are light in weight. I am juuuust a little hesitant to drive the car the way as I did before. I am sure these parts are tested, but I want to be on the safe side. the 5mm in the front slide pretty much over the axle, but the 17mm in the back kind of replace the part of the axle that the wheel goes on
4) The new bolts are great, but I wished the bolts were black, just like the original ones. Maybe I can find some bolt covers
5) make sure you have a small jack. My 3 ton jack did not fit under the car, and as we all know, the Giulia does not come with a jack
6) Shipping was fast. Awesome job to MADNESS.

I will make some pics tomorrow and send them over, but so far they look great.

·
Registered
529 Posts
the 5mm in the front slide pretty much over the axle, but the 17mm in the back kind of replace the part of the axle that the wheel goes on
You're thinking of the hub, but it won't be a problem. Their spacers are hub centric, which is why they cost 5x more than your generic wheel spacer that generally aren't.

You want the wheel centered on the hub, as to prevent vibration, however there are two schools of thoughts about how to achieve it:
1. hub centric wheels/rings/spacers are absolutely necessary to center the wheel on the hub.
2. hub centric wheels/rings/spacers are not necessary, as the wheel lugs will center the wheel to the hub.

My experience says thought number 2 is more accurate.

Here's how I went about my wheel spacer fun, since I don't like wasting money and I wanted black lugs instead of wheel bolts:
5mm spacers: $10 - 10mm spacers: $15 - Wheel lug conversion: $25 (need 2) - Wheel lugs, black: $30 - Total: $105.

For the price of Madness' rear spacers, I converted the wheel bolts, and added spacers.

Although the spacers aren't hub centric, I have not had any issue (vibration, wheel lugs loosening up, etc). I have about 5000 miles on the setup so far, including two track days and an autocross.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts