Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some wheel spacers from Bloxsport via eBay. The product looked good, after a little back and forth with the seller I was comfortable in moving forward with the purchase. Immediately after install I noticed a pretty loud screech which sounds like metal on metal. I thought it could have been the rotors as I used a little WD-40 during the install. It’s been a few weeks and the sound hasn’t changed. It’s only noticeable at full lock, left or right turn at slower speeds. Oddly enough, it doesn’t make the screech when in reverse at full lock, and going straight at any speed has no issues. I notice it mostly when turning into a parking spot. I did a search with no solid conclusion. Is it possible the bolts are too long in the front? But in that scenario, why the noise only under turning conditions?

If anyone has any insight, I’d greatly appreciate it. Spacers are 15MM Front, 20MM Rear

·
Registered
422 Posts
is there a dust shield you bent when taking the wheel off?

I'd also pull a bolt asap to see if it's banged up. Don't drive it until you know what's going on.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
IS it possible you are actually hearing tire squealing and not metatometal squeal?

Wheels turn on pivot axis in middle of the wheel without spacers and with proper offset.....with spacers they are pushed further out which could exacerbate effect of ackerman angle on GIulia...15mm is probably also not enough for wheel to rub on body parts even though giulia’s wheelwell is pretty tight

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled a bolt on and it had no signs of rubbing. Pulled a back bolt just to see also. Both looked fine. Heat shield was my next guess, both sides are bent pretty good. But they’re identical in shape. I couldn’t recall their design prior to the install so I wasn’t sure if that was their original shape or not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not tire squeal. It is clear that metal is rubbing on metal somewhere. If anyone has a photo of the heat shield shape that would help eliminate that theory. I won’t have a jack and stands for a week or so to lift the car.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Can you check full lock up front?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Dust shield stays in exactly same place when you install the spacers so I am puzzled why you think that might be cause of rubbing....the only thing that moves with spacers is the wheel and further away from brakes and shields..its a real puzzle this one

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only reason I thought it was a possibility was because of other threads I’ve read regarding this. I agree, the dust shield shouldn’t be the issue when you think about it. Either way I’ll report back what I find. Really puzzled as I’ve installed spacers on a few of my vehicles in the past without issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am sure this is not the issue, but strange things sometime come up. Are the wheel spacers you installed, wheel and hub centric? From everything I have read and been told by a service manager, that is important.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It’s entirely possible you bent a backing plate removing a wheel, which could easily cause the noise, although it should be there all the time, not just when turning. What I would so is simply reach through the wheel and lightly move the backing plate out (towards the rotor) to see if it’s contacting anything solid, and if so, give it a bit of a push away from the rotor.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Thanks Alfatech. Entirely possible. And from the "scraaaaape, boing, clang-ang-nag-ang" sound when you catch one removing the wheel, I'd say that could be it. Also check for rubbing on the fender liners and wheel well lip. If you need to roll your fenders (not likely with the cowling type) I have the tool at home collecting dust. Did a great job on my 360. Will ship...with heat gun...use it!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, look in the wheel well, probably some fresh scrapes now. Pushing wheels out will do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I installed their wheel spacers too. It seems they create a new brand name Bonoss, and those wheel spacers work great on my vehicle, no weird sound, the wheels are flush with the fenders. Do they still make noise on your vehicle? check out the bolts? or maybe reinstall them? I know that they have 10 years warranty, you may want to contact them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts