Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow.... just Wow. I’ve never seen that precise failure before.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,883 Posts
I suspect something like this; not the exact same, but a similar type of impact which did not break it immediately, but started a crack which propagated through the barrel.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That is most likely the cause: impact. But that is a catastrophic failure. I would guess the desired outcome would have been for it to bend, not break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alloys wheels have a higher tendency to crack rather than bend.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I had to zoom in to see the crack. That's crazy. My one of my 5 holes cracked this summer as I went over a crack in road while changing lanes at 65. Scary stuff

·
Registered
692 Posts
phew... looks like oddball structural failure, if it is absent impact damage.

Glad your're ok.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I must add, chances of structural failure is significantly higher with cast wheels. My guess is most wheels out there are cast and not forged. Is this rare, sure. Is it metallurgically likely? yes given the right circumstances.

Either way, what's important is nobody is hurt.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a guess but I assume the low pressure tire monitor came on, was ignored (or the TPMS was faulty), and the tire was driven on in that state for a long period of time. The run flat offered enough rigidity that the condition wasn’t noticed until there was enough frequent day to day bumps and shocks that the barrel cracked which truthfully looks terrifying.

I would still ask for a replacement (doesn’t hurt to try) but they will probably site negligence. If you sight the safety aspect of it, however, they may replace it to make you go away. I would suggest calling Alfa Romeo Cares first before the dealership. Corporate would be more concerned with a safety issue and willing to help. They will also retrieve the wheel for inspection.

Good luck and glad no one was hurt.
I have always found it more useful to call the manufacturer's district rep than to argue with the dealer about a warantee item. All the dealer cares about is whether they will get reimbursed.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I must add, chances of structural failure is significantly higher with cast wheels. My guess is most wheels out there are cast and not forged. Is this rare, sure. Is it metallurgically likely? yes given the right circumstances.

Either way, what's important is nobody is hurt.
I have to wonder if a rock got caught between the caliper and barrel, digging a grove. QV owners have had plenty of such problems, but they have less clearance.

A caution point: what was the inflation pressure in the tire? While most people are familiar with max tire inflation pressure, the wheel also has a max pressure rating. Have the other tires been checked?

Just to add to the above from @kshitishsoman :

I believe that for Giulia OEM wheels only the German made Tecnicos are forged. The others are apparently cast in Thailand (maybe not the 2020 and 2021 wheels?). The finish is better on the cast wheels--especially the earlier MY 5 holes, but several people have reported that the Tecnicos can be bent (minor bends) and straightened while 5 holes simply break.

Aluminum for forged wheels must be malleable enough to be forged, so it will bend at least a little before breaking. Cast aluminum is highly variable in quality, depending on the material and casting process. Higher strength cast aluminum tends to be very brittle.

Either material can have internal flaws, but IMO foundry formed forge-able aluminum is likely to have fewer flaws than cast. Lastly, casting flaws tend to be found at the thinnest part of the casting, which is exactly where the subject wheel failed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have always found it more useful to call the manufacturer's district rep than to argue with the dealer about a warantee item. All the dealer cares about is whether they will get reimbursed.
Which is why I said call Alfa Cares ( i.e. corporate) because being a safety issue it is more likely to get a favorable outcome for the consumer (a new wheel) and Alfa itself will want to take a closer look at that wheel to determine the cause.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
724 Posts
I was wondering about the quality of roads in the area, potholes, or if you went over a speadbreaker too fast, or something like that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look carefully at the first image. The barrel split in two along its circumference, all along the bottom half (halfway between the front and back of the barrel).
Wow, that's a new one. Never seen anything like that. Imagine if she'd been cruising at 100+mph like I drive? Scary! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update.
I finally made time to get the wheel off and took it by the dealership as they were very eager to see it.
I wished I would've grabbed more photos.
The dealership kept wheel and tire to send to corporate for further investigation / direction in what to do to correct issue. Further update to come.
As I wait any recommendations for new tires?
I'm not sure if I want rfts or not.

And as always you guys have been great 👍

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Update.
I finally made time to get the wheel off and took it by the dealership as they were very eager to see it.
I wished I would've grabbed more photos.
The dealership kept wheel and tire to send to corporate for further investigation / direction in what to do to correct issue. Further update to come.
As I wait any recommendations for new tires?
I'm not sure if I want rfts or not.

And as always you guys have been great 👍
For 4 cylinder models without considering price Michelin PS4S and Michelin PS A/S3+ are popular options depending on temperature constraints. PS A/S3+ was recently discontinued and replaced with the supposedly improved A/S4, but A/S4 was at last check only available in a few sizes-none suitable for Giulia. The PS4S situation may be similar.

PS4S is reportedly quieter than A/S3+, A/S3+ being a bit noisier than OEM. I have A/S3+ on my car because I encounter freezing conditions year 'round. YMMV.

Reactions: Hoylesdrywall

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you are a recent owner and the cars has 22K miles, mostly put on by the original owner, I doubt Alfa will feel responsible and cough up a free replacement wheel. Most likely the original owner hit a pothole that cracked the wheel and either didn't know or ignored it. BBW.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Add me to the list of never-seen-anything-like-that-before. Very interested to hear what the dealer/corporate have to say. About getting runflats or not, they obviously have their pros and cons, but the runflat may have made that experience somewhat less frightening than it would've been with a conventional tire.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update.
Alfa says that there was no way possible that the wheel could have had a defect and just come apart.
They are saying we had to have hit something very hard. Hahaha if we hit something very hard, my only question is where is the rest of the damage?
Anyways I finally have my new wheels and tires on

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I think they are right, this was caused by something external. Did they say you did it? It's likely the previous owner created a hairline that exploded in your life.

Reactions: Alfa Nut

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I feel your pain. I know my employees or gumads would never admit to hitting anything either. Never them. Cars and trucks just mysteriously get damaged. Must of been someone else. I don’t remember hitting anything.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Are you implying his wife did it? Woah! ;)

Reactions: Alfa Nut
21 - 39 of 39 Posts