Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen or heard of this.
My wife was driving home didnt hit anything or run off the road. But the wheel seprated in half at low speed.
There is no external damage to tire.
Will alfa cover this? I will call them in the am.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm confused... what do you mean by "wheel separated in half" ... did the runflat come off of the rim? ...did the wheel barrel crack in some way?

It is pretty clear that the runflat went flat and was running without inflation, based on the sidewall wear and tread condition.

Please clarify.

Reactions: MDLBC

·
Registered
232 Posts
They will certainly only cover it if you have a wheel/tire warranty.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm confused... what do you mean by "wheel separated in half" ... did the runflat come off of the rim? ...did the wheel barrel crack in some way?

It is pretty clear that the runflat went flat and was running without inflation, based on the sidewall wear and tread condition.

Please clarify.
Look carefully at the first image. The barrel split in two along its circumference, all along the bottom half (halfway between the front and back of the barrel).

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
416 Posts
If the lug nuts were torqued fully, would the wheel have the room for that kind of separation? I could see it getting a crack but for that spacing, something seems off

·
Registered
28 Posts
How old is the car? I personally think that they ought to give you a wheel. That should not happen, and it sounds like a latent defect that thankfully did not happen at speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Once the wheel is off the tire you’d get more accurate answers.
If some there was impact then the rim barrel should have some type of signs of it, dent, gash etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a 2018 q4 with 22000 on dash.
I am 2nd owner and I have had for 3 months.
And yes I'm thankful it was at a slow stop this could've been a very deadly situation. Once I get the wheel off I will update.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yikes 😬. Firstly, happy to hear your missus was ok and this occurred at low speed.

I also have the turbines on mine. Hope it's not a fundamental flaw in the design... :unsure:

If not (and let's go with that for now), that sort of damage could only occur by hitting a South African style pothole a.k.a. a donga. This is the sort of pothole where you disappear down a sudden and steep crevasse in the road (typically caused by poor maintenance of the road infrastructure) then, if your lucky, you reappear up the other side with all your wheels, tyres and bodywork in tact.

They grow like weeds in the suburban wilds here, particularly this time of year as it's our rainy season.

It's one of the reasons I absolutely swear by my run flats...at least I have half a chance of survival...

·
Registered
445 Posts

Please clarify.
Just a guess but I assume the low pressure tire monitor came on, was ignored (or the TPMS was faulty), and the tire was driven on in that state for a long period of time. The run flat offered enough rigidity that the condition wasn’t noticed until there was enough frequent day to day bumps and shocks that the barrel cracked which truthfully looks terrifying.

I would still ask for a replacement (doesn’t hurt to try) but they will probably site negligence. If you sight the safety aspect of it, however, they may replace it to make you go away. I would suggest calling Alfa Romeo Cares first before the dealership. Corporate would be more concerned with a safety issue and willing to help. They will also retrieve the wheel for inspection.

Good luck and glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,883 Posts
It seems likely the wheel took a hard impact in the middle which caused a crack that went unnoticed, and that the crack just spread. It could easily happen hitting a large rock in the road; there have been similar impact damage pics on here, where the barrel is damaged but not the face of the wheel.

I doubt it will be a warranty repair, but who knows.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow ! That is terrible ! Defective wheel ?
I would get a hold of Alfa and raise hell !!!!!!!
Luckily everyone is ok ?
That could of caused a huge accident ! 100+ wheel blows out and car is flipping over and over !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yikes 😬. Firstly, happy to hear your missus was ok and this occurred at low speed.

I also have the turbines on mine. Hope it's not a fundamental flaw in the design... :unsure:

If not (and let's go with that for now), that sort of damage could only occur by hitting a South African style pothole a.k.a. a donga. This is the sort of pothole where you disappear down a sudden and steep crevasse in the road (typically caused by poor maintenance of the road infrastructure) then, if your lucky, you reappear up the other side with all your wheels, tyres and bodywork in tact.

They grow like weeds in the suburban wilds here, particularly this time of year as it's our rainy season.

It's one of the reasons I absolutely swear by my run flats...at least I have half a chance of survival...
Lmao thank bud

·
Registered
204 Posts
wow i've never seen a failure like that... i'd suspect manufacture defect if there's no impact... glad you are safe, i cannot imagine it just split apart while going at speed...

Reactions: EricW

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
724 Posts
Glad you're safe and there wasn't any more damage to the car. This is the kind of stuff nightmares are made of.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
20 Posts
My guess would be a manufacturing defect to split like that. I'm not an expert though. I would hope Alfa would be more than willing to take care of that sort of thing unless it can be shown to be caused by some type of serious impact.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My guess would be a manufacturing defect to split like that. I'm not an expert though. I would hope Alfa would be more than willing to take care of that sort of thing unless it can be shown to be caused by some type of serious impact.
That is most likely the cause: impact. But that is a catastrophic failure. I would guess the desired outcome would have been for it to bend, not break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts