Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. New to the forum and hope you're all doing well. Unfortunately, the car wash track did some minor damage to my rear driver side wheel. I brought it to 3 different wheel repair shops for estimates and 2 of the 3 wouldn't even consider working it...apparently the kind of paint on the wheels from the factory is some sort of "carbon-based" paint. The wheel repair guys don't want to risk it because it would be a hit or miss and could turn out looking worse than the damage currently is... owner of car wash said he would pay for it, but I don't think he realized that this isn't just a 125-150 dollar job (based on what 2/3 wheel repair companies told me)...trying to do the right thing instead of having to order a new wheel which comes to around 500 after tax. Thoughts? Does anyone know the paint color code?

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Where are you located? Most places in the USA car washes have signs stating they are not responsible for any damages caused by the car wash. As a matter of fact I know several people that have lost court cases because of those signs. If the owner is willing to pay, consider yourself lucky. Nice of you not thinking of ways not to hammer him on the cost of a new wheel.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The 4c forums had some success with Duplicolor Ford Dark Shadow Grey (BFM0360) spray onto a brush/q-tip. Might be too dark for us, but a cruise down the row of Duplicolor products should give some options to try. I know my hyperblack Abarth rims were matched to a Graphite Metallic paint color from Chrysler. Let us know, I have a small scuff too.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Where are you located? Most places in the USA car washes have signs stating they are not responsible for any damages caused by the car wash. As a matter of fact I know several people that have lost court cases because of those signs. If the owner is willing to pay, consider yourself lucky. Nice of you not thinking of ways not to hammer him on the cost of a new wheel.
Signs stating that they are not responsible for damage do not absolve the wash from liability...all lawsuits are case sensitive. There could be many reasons why the "several people" lost....none of which may be relevant here. Internet lawyes...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sand it, fill it, prime it, paint it. I hit a curb in my 348 years ago asking a drunk woman falling of the curb if she was OK! Luckily a GM color was a known match for the silver that I found on another forum ;) You can get metal filler and all the resources at auto store. I also did it on my passenger side OZs, but the aluminum lip did not or could not be filled. I dremelled it out and sanded/polished it. It needs a clear coat but looks great after a wash and quick polish. I was in a show shortly after that and no one noticed the repair on the stock silver 348 wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. Turns out the owner of the car wash is going to buy me a new wheel and pay for the cost of mounting/balancing ?. He also wants me to continue to come to his car wash (probably because I'm one of the few on Long Island with a Giulia since there's only 2 dealerships on LI), so he's going to give me free off-track washes going forward, and a free wax/detail for the inconvenience. I definitely lucked out. If I happen to mistakenly curb a wheel, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind lol. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow that's incredible! Good for you and good for the car wash guy. He must really appreciate the Giulia and have a good understanding of the market in the area and its advertising value. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. Turns out the owner of the car wash is going to buy me a new wheel and pay for the cost of mounting/balancing ?. He also wants me to continue to come to his car wash (probably because I'm one of the few on Long Island with a Giulia since there's only 2 dealerships on LI), so he's going to give me free off-track washes going forward, and a free wax/detail for the inconvenience. I definitely lucked out. If I happen to mistakenly curb a wheel, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind lol. Thanks again!

Great. Will you throw the old one in the trunk to use as a spare?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum and hope you're all doing well. Unfortunately, the car wash track did some minor damage to my rear driver side wheel. I brought it to 3 different wheel repair shops for estimates and 2 of the 3 wouldn't even consider working it...apparently the kind of paint on the wheels from the factory is some sort of "carbon-based" paint. The wheel repair guys don't want to risk it because it would be a hit or miss and could turn out looking worse than the damage currently is... owner of car wash said he would pay for it, but I don't think he realized that this isn't just a 125-150 dollar job (based on what 2/3 wheel repair companies told me)...trying to do the right thing instead of having to order a new wheel which comes to around 500 after tax. Thoughts? Does anyone know the paint color code?

Nothing special here. Have had these same wheels repaired with my wheel guy, customer curbed it while on a test drive. Charged me $85.00 per wheel perfect match.

·
Registered
147 Posts
He must really appreciate the Giulia and have a good understanding of the market in the area and its advertising value. :D
He understands two things -- (1) respect for his fellow man who trusted him/his agents/his machinery to wash the car, and (2) the power of word-of-mouth advertising from satisfied customers.

I agree with John_K - good for both of you!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ran out to Pep Boys today to look over their Duplicolor choices. Turns out they've pared it down quite a bit, with more in rattle cans than touchup tubes. So I looked over the selection and tried two...GM Light Spiral Gray (89/WA/813K) and Chrysler Graphite (PDR).

The Gray is much too light and metallic, while the Graphite is too dark, but works for a small area by the tire. We need something between the two, so I'll play with this some more some other time.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK then. You might try spraying each into a cup and then mix. I have actually done this without mixing to touch up my brake calipers on the Miata. I have a two tone "Lotus Racing" livery with Yellow centers and White balance/slides. Since the brakes are two piece like many lightweight styles (Giulia included- rears?) It works out well. The idea came to me while trying to fall asleep years ago. Better than counting sheep - turning creative car design ideas over in your mind. ;) Used engine paint but still suffer from cracking and chipping. I was just too lazy to mask everything and I'm good at using a brush from my model building throughout my life. I may just strip everything next spring. Point is, to spray into a cup and use a brush or mixing. If you layer enough, you can wet sand the brush marks out and leave a smooth finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts