Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like these for a winter set? Nice and light and I think about $200 less per wheel than OEM options. However, Tire Rack does show that TPMS sensors add $50+ per wheel. Would I not have that extra cost with OEM wheels working through dealer parts and service?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Couple of problems here. First, it's most common to go minus one on rims for winter use. Winter use means hidden potholes, city titties, speed humps, dips and such. That being the case, the increased sidewall height will protect the rims better.

Let's us assume you have a Giulia with 225/45R18 tires all around. For winter, buy some equally wide 17" rims and put on 225/50R17 tires and your speedometer is only off .3 mph high at 65. You have more cushion in the sidewall, and real snow tires. Even better, if you get real snow, would be a narrower run and tire. Perhaps a 195/60R17 or a 205/60R17, either would be off by .6 mph (low and high, respectively) and provide superior traction in snow. You could even go minus two, perhaps a 205/60R16, which would read .8 mph high.

The second issue here is the run flats. You don't want to be dismounting and mounting the run flats twice a year. Run flats are tough to dismount and mount, and can often be damaged in the process. It's much better to have the winter set mounted with TPMS sensors installed so.it's an easy change over.

The third issue is an advantage, the tires and rims in an inch or two smaller sizes are generally cheaper.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts
Call me cheap or an incurable optimist, but I'm hoping less expensive 18" (or maybe 17") wheels will be available for winter use. I imagine steels are unlikely at this point.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think I will get a second set for my QV (if it ever gets built) it will be the dark 5 hole as I am ordering it with the light Tecnico wheels...

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
"Sophia" hibernates in the winter:grin2: no need to put her beautiful toes in the snow/salt & muck:grin2:
use the other vehicles in the garage, but I would like another set of rims and if possible (though I really doubt it) a square set-up...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Sophia" hibernates in the winter:grin2: no need to put her beautiful toes in the snow/salt & muck:grin2:
use the other vehicles in the garage, but I would like another set of rims and if possible (though I really doubt it) a square set-up...
I was more referring to the 5 hole as my track wheels Professore! I agree, snow and salt don't get along with QV's, at least in my opinion.....

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
Couple of problems here. First, it's most common to go minus one on rims for winter use. Winter use means hidden potholes, city titties, speed humps, dips and such. That being the case, the increased sidewall height will protect the rims better.

Let's us assume you have a Giulia with 225/45R18 tires all around. For winter, buy some equally wide 17" rims and put on 225/50R17 tires and your speedometer is only off .3 mph high at 65. You have more cushion in the sidewall, and real snow tires. Even better, if you get real snow, would be a narrower run and tire. Perhaps a 195/60R17 or a 205/60R17, either would be off by .6 mph (low and high, respectively) and provide superior traction in snow. You could even go minus two, perhaps a 205/60R16, which would read .8 mph high.

The second issue here is the run flats. You don't want to be dismounting and mounting the run flats twice a year. Run flats are tough to dismount and mount, and can often be damaged in the process. It's much better to have the winter set mounted with TPMS sensors installed so.it's an easy change over.

The third issue is an advantage, the tires and rims in an inch or two smaller sizes are generally cheaper.
Although tire rack says that narrow tires are better (this may be true of old-fashioned mud & snow tires), Continental says that when installing purpose designed snow tires wider is better:

http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/wide-tires

Unfortunately neither tire rack nor Continental have side-by-side comparisons of winter performance of narrow versus wide otherwise identical snow tires. The physics indicates that a wide tire will be better on ice or packed snow. It is less clear which is better in powder or deep, loose snow but my guess is that wider is still better.

Regardless of the width, tire rack has a demo that shows that snow tires stop and turn on ice way better than all-seasons or summer tires--like a factor of 2 more traction. Rough summary of their video: if summer tires stop from 20MPH on ice in 100 feet, all seasons stop in 80 feet and snow tires stop in 40 feet.

It is certainly true that taller sidewalls are more likely to protect your rims from damage than short sidewalls. Choosing the narrowest rim that will fit the tire size you have selected (or the widest tire that will fit on the rim that you have selected) will also help protect the rim. Both of these statements are true for summer or winter. However, handling improves with a shorter sidewall and a wider rim relative to the tire width, so you have to decide your priorities. The big difference here is that during winter the priority shifts to being able to accelerate, stop and turn at all on snow/ice, nice handling is a secondary priority.

I have no experience with O.Z. rims, but I was told that they are a respectable brand.

My P.O.R. for my Q4 is to mount 245 40R19 Michelin Xice tires on the OEM 5 hole rims that come with the car (I am assuming that these tires will squeeze into the wheel wells) and put all season tires for summer use on some pricey light weight rims.

FWIW: MacGeek indicated that 16" rims might not fit on a USA spec Giulia (won't clear the brakes?).

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Call me cheap or an incurable optimist, but I'm hoping less expensive 18" (or maybe 17") wheels will be available for winter use. I imagine steels are unlikely at this point.
Fuchs makes the Tecnico rims in 17" diameter to fit Giulia. Probably not "cheap" though.

I don't see much else, other than the OEM 17" wheels in that size for Giulia. Right now the O.Z. 7 hole 18" rims are probably the lowest priced rims currently available for Giulia:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...o&autoModel=Giulia&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

These guys will custom make pretty much whatever size you want, but they are very pricey.
http://esecarbon.com

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will seek to use OEM wheels for winter tires.

Then find an aftermarket wheel set hopefully a little wider & lighter (while still being forged aluminum construction) than OEM to use as summer wheels with also slightly wider summer tires.

Options are limited due to QV atypical bolt pattern... But more options should emerge as the car is longer on the market I hope?

I too have heard & agree with the thought that winter wheel/tire setup is more effective with more narrow, smaller wheels & tires. 19" looks so right on the Giulia though, I kinda don't want to mess with the proportions.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Lowlight, just remember that a 17" tire/rim set and a 19" tire/rim set, properly sized will have identical "size", just more rubber and less rim. The stock 17" base rims or the 18" turbines are both "chunkier" rims likely to stand up to winter abuse better than the more elegant rims we like the looks of. You are also much more likely to scratch/scrape/curb rim in winter too, so those pretty, dark colored rims are likely up for repair each spring.

As for wider vs narrower, both facts are correct, but the importance of a dedicated snow tire in northern climates cannot be understated. That alone makes a world of difference, but during the thaw, the slightly narrower/taller tire has a minor additional traction advantage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since Dunlop WinterSports are available in the 225/45R18 size, it's a no brainer to set those up on OEM or equivalent wheels. I have them on my BMW F07 and they're great tires. My current set up is -1 for the winter tires (17").

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
I will seek to use OEM wheels for winter tires.

Then find an aftermarket wheel set hopefully a little wider & lighter (while still being forged aluminum construction) than OEM to use as summer wheels with also slightly wider summer tires.

Options are limited due to QV atypical bolt pattern... But more options should emerge as the car is longer on the market I hope?

I too have heard & agree with the thought that winter wheel/tire setup is more effective with more narrow, smaller wheels & tires. 19" looks so right on the Giulia though, I kinda don't want to mess with the proportions.
If you have a QV you will only be able to fit 19" or larger rims in order to clear the brakes.

I agree 100% that 19" rims simply "look right" on Giulia, regardless of the tire width.

I don't think sidewall height has any significant effect on winter traction or handling. The road hazard protection of taller sidewalls may be an issue though. Last winter Ca SR-88 got so rough in one section that A) I was concerned that I was going to bend one of my steel rimed 245 70R19.5 wheels (BTW: that IS low profile for an MT truck tire) and B) Caltrans repaved it mid-winter in the freezing cold.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Since Dunlop WinterSports are available in the 225/45R18 size, it's a no brainer to set those up on OEM or equivalent wheels. I have them on my BMW F07 and they're great tires. My current set up is -1 for the winter tires (17").
It is worth noting that 225 45R18 and 245 40R19 have within 3mm of the same sidewall height. I am hoping the 245 40R19 tires will fit Giulia and not rub on the relatively high slung Q4.

It would be great if we could get some cars together in a snow park parking lot this winter or some such and do some stopping distance tests of different width wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts