Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So bought a new set of wheels for tracking. Got the optional OEM Tecnico wheels. Mounted a set of Hoosier slicks on them today and went for a short little drive OMG the turn in is insane.
Remember the first time you drove your Giulia and turned the wheel for the first time and were amazed how great the turn in was? Well it was just like that again with the slicks on. It would be too much for a regular street driving but I’m really excited to test everything out this weekend at ORP racetrack. I think the Gforces and the lap time speeds this car will make will be off the chart!
So I weighed each wheel here is the results also some photos. A total of about 20 pounds less in unsprung weight. Car looks wicked with slicks on.
Giulia wheel/tire weights:
Fronts:
Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 255/35/19: 50lbs
Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 235/35/19 42.7lbs (-7.3lbs)
Rears:
Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 305/30/19: 55lbs
Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 295/30/19 47.6lbs (-2.4lbs)

Attachments

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Looks very mean!! I really like the technicos!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
So bought a new set of wheels for tracking. Got the optional OEM Tecnico wheels. Mounted a set of Hoosier slicks on them today and went for a short little drive OMG the turn in is insane.
Remember the first time you drove your Giulia and turned the wheel for the first time and were amazed how great the turn in was? Well it was just like that again with the slicks on. It would be too much for a regular street driving but I’m really excited to test everything out this weekend at ORP racetrack. I think the Gforces and the lap time speeds this car will make will be off the chart!
So I weighed each wheel here is the results also some photos. A total of about 20 pounds less in unsprung weight. Car looks wicked with slicks on.
Fronts:
Rears:
Hey those look like Ceramic Brembo correc?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fronts:
Rears:
Hey those look like Ceramic Brembo correc?
Yes CCB

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That is how our QV came. CCB with Pzero and dark tecnicos. Husband loves them and i want to put 5 hole. It might not be the design it may be that I don’t like the blackout look. Red Rosso Comp red calipers and dark tecnicos with CCB. Too much red and too dark. Yellow calipers would probably be a nice touch. He is dying. I just got the car and I want to change it. Postal0:). Love the look. Would have loved Black but then I get black and would have said oh we should have gotten red. Solution. Get a black Giulia or Stelvio doesn’t have to be another QV

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Fronts:
Rears:
FWIW: 47.6-55lbs is -7.4 pounds.
Most of the weight difference is attributable to the wheels rather than the tires.

You shaved a total of (7.3+7.4)*2 = 29.4 pounds.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fronts:
Rears:
Most of the weight difference is attributable to the wheels rather than the tires.

Wow you are right, That’s a lot!

Here’s all the facts if you want to do the math you can actually figure out how much lighter the Technico wheels by themselves are than the stock wheels. Your math is better! I think it’s 6.3lbs each front wheel and 3.4lbs each rear wheel.

Track setup:
Tecnico
Hoosier R7
Ft 235/35/19 25.6 (-.2) width 10.2”
weight 23lbs
Rear: 295/30/19 26.1” (+.3”) width 11.5” weight 25lbs
Street setup:
Stock wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (300 hardness)
Ft 255/35/19 rear 26" tall (+.2") weight 24lbs
Rear 305/30/19 26.3" tall (+.5") weight 29lbs

Giulia wheel/tire weights: Fronts: Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 255/35/19: 50lbs Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 235/35/19 42.7lbs (-7.3lbs) Rears: Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 305/30/19: 55lbs Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 295/30/19 47.6lbs (-7.4lbs)

·
Registered
7,729 Posts

Here’s all the facts if you want to do the math you can actually figure out how much lighter the Technico wheels by themselves are than the stock wheels. Your math is better! I think it’s 6.3lbs each front wheel and 3.4lbs each rear wheel.

Track setup:
Tecnico
Hoosier R7
weight 23lbs
Street setup:
Stock wheels

Giulia wheel/tire weights: Fronts: Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 255/35/19: 50lbs Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 235/35/19 42.7lbs (-7.3lbs) Rears: Stock wheel Michelin PS4S 305/30/19: 55lbs Tecnico w/Hoosier R7 295/30/19 47.6lbs (-7.4lbs)
Thanks for gathering and posting all the data, it is hard to come by.
Of course tire weights are not super precisely controlled; are those mfg specs or measurements of your tires?

Chance of snow predicted for this weekend, I think I'll be sticking to tires that can cope with a wide range of temps for my Q4.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Breaking out the individual components...

Tires ...
F - ( Michelin (24lbs) - Hoosier (23lbs) )*2 = 2lb savings
R - ( Michelin (29lbs) - Hoosier (25lbs) )*2 = 8lb savings
:: 10lbs total (35% of the weight)

Wheels ...
F - ( OEM (26lbs) - Technico (19.7lbs) )*2 = 12.6lbs savings
R - ( OEM (26lbs) - Technico (22.6lbs) )*2 = 6.8lbs savings
:: 19.4lbs total (65% of the weight)

Sub-Total ...
F: ( OEM (50lbs) - Technico (42.7lbs) )*2 = 14.6lbs savings
R: ( OEM (55lbs) - Technico (47.6lbs) )*2 = 14.8lbs savings

Total ...
29.4lbs saved

The wheel weights are pretty light for 19" wheels -- even the OEM can be considered somewhat light.

Reactions: KMW

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Track setup:
Tecnico
Hoosier R7
weight 23lbs
Street setup:
Stock wheels

Thanks for gathering and posting all the data, it is hard to come by.
Of course tire weights are not super precisely controlled; are those mfg specs or measurements of your tires?

Chance of snow predicted for this weekend, I think I'll be sticking to tires that can cope with a wide range of temps for my Q4.
Thanks. For the tire weights I got them from tirerack.com. Everything else was done with my bathroom scale that is accurate to .2lbs.

Snow in Late April? It’s just got to be at least the beginning of the end of winter for you!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Breaking out the individual components...

Tires ...
F - ( Michelin (24lbs) - Hoosier (23lbs) )*2 = 2lb savings
R - ( Michelin (29lbs) - Hoosier (25lbs) )*2 = 8lb savings
:: 10lbs total (35% of the weight)

Wheels ...
F - ( OEM (26lbs) - Technico (19.7lbs) )*2 = 12.6lbs savings
R - ( OEM (26lbs) - Technico (22.6lbs) )*2 = 6.8lbs savings
:: 19.4lbs total (65% of the weight)

Sub-Total ...
F: ( OEM (50lbs) - Technico (42.7lbs) )*2 = 14.6lbs savings
R: ( OEM (55lbs) - Technico (47.6lbs) )*2 = 14.8lbs savings

Total ...
29.4lbs saved

The wheel weights are pretty light for 19" wheels -- even the OEM can be considered somewhat light.
Thanks/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif for this good info. The weight difference is noticeable from picking up the tires and wheels. I’m hoping this unsprung weight savings will make the car a bit snappier out of the turns.

What I have found tracking with this car is that it’s quite hard on the front brakes and front tires. The rear brakes and tires not so much. I’m hoping having a track set of wheels and tires will make it more affordable to track, or at least save my street tires! My front brake cooling mod certainly helped the front brakes last longer and taper less. If you’re interested I’m happy to direct you to my race shop that will make a kit for you. Or you can look at my post and just do it yourself it’s not that complicated you just need a metal fabricator to make the brake backing plates and then just find some air scoop you can hook onto the lower control arm and then ducted with 3 inch ducting. My local race shop has that air inlet scoop in their 3-D printer ready to print you could buy that part if you want. Here’s a few more pictures.
I’ll do a post after this weekend to see how the slicks feel and do on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Snow in Late April? It’s just got to be at least the beginning of the end of winter for you!
Yes, the weather in Bridgeport California is not compatible with summer tires, ever.
Last year the first snow fall came on the last day of summer.

May I ask why you went with 235 35r19 in front instead of the OEM 245 35r19?

My "front runner" for a summer setup (after many iterations) on my Q4 is now

Dark Tecnico 19x8.5 on all 4 corners.
245 35r19 (or 235 35r19 or 235 40r19) Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires (I am not sure these are available in 235 width).

The 235s give a bit of "stretch" while the 245s do not but give more tread.
It is unclear to me if 245 40r19 or 235 40r19 will fit, due to the increased diameter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif for this good info. The weight difference is noticeable from picking up the tires and wheels. I’m hoping this unsprung weight savings will make the car a bit snappier out of the turns.
I think you'll find that the reduced weight will make the car better in many ways--acceleration, braking, turn-in, and bump/curb handling should all be improved. I recently switched to magnesium wheels on my track car and shaved 31 pounds, same tires. The improvement was noticeable my first time out, but then you get used to it. In your case the tires are going to be so much better that you may not notice as much of a difference from the reduced weight.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, the weather in Bridgeport California is not compatible with summer tires, ever.
Last year the first snow fall came on the last day of summer.

May I ask why you went with 235 35r19 in front instead of the OEM 245 35r19?

My "front runner" for a summer setup (after many iterations) on my Q4 is now

Dark Tecnico 19x8.5 on all 4 corners.
245 35r19 (or 235 35r19 or 235 40r19) Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires (I am not sure these are available in 235 width).

The 235s give a bit of "stretch" while the 245s do not but give more tread.
It is unclear to me if 245 40r19 or 235 40r19 will fit, due to the increased diameter.
I’ll have to visit this unique part of California that is so cold sometime lol.

The reason I went with 235 is simple it’s the only size available from Hoosier. But actually it’s the perfect size please take note all Hoosier tire widths are crazy off. Never seen any tire manufacture be so off their width measurements. And it’s common knowledge if you ask around. I have found is you can add 10 mm to the Hoosier size then you get an accurate width. So my 235s are really about a 245 width, maybe 250 width.
Same thing on my smaller wheels for lint 4C the 245/35/17 Hoosier is about a 255 width. I’ve put all these tires side-by-side and verified it with my own eyes.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your car. My advice is to go a bit wider with the tire and protect your nice rims from curb damage. I’ve been doing that for years. FYI you may have noticed I have 10 mm wider tires in the front with my street set at 255 width on Michelin PS4S and 20 mm wider at rear with 305 Michelin PS4S on my QV

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you'll find that the reduced weight will make the car better in many ways--acceleration, braking, turn-in, and bump/curb handling should all be improved. I recently switched to magnesium wheels on my track car and shaved 31 pounds, same tires. The improvement was noticeable my first time out, but then you get used to it. In your case the tires are going to be so much better that you may not notice as much of a difference from the reduced weight.
Any saving on the front brake pads would be much appreciated. My CCB front pads retail at $1,700 a set. Thankfully I get a pretty good deal from my dealer But still... **** that’s almost Porsche money!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I think that with the slicks you might be (wishing for cc brakes; it will be a lot easier to overwork the standard ones.)

whoops I now see you have them, so I'll revise that - yeah guys with CC brakes can better utilize the slicks, it might create big heat issues for everyone else

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
By some accounts it is the coldest inhabited place in California. Records to -34F in the winter (some old timers claim they have seen -60F on their thermometers). The Marines put their Mountain warfare training center (originally the cold weather training center) nearby for a reason. Bridgeport is a tiny resort town advertised as the "Sportsman's Paradise". Fishing, hiking, one of the oldest and largest "Dude ranches" on the planet, back backing, rock climbing, hunting (if you can get a tag), etc etc.

The reason I went with 235 is simple it’s the only size available from Hoosier. But actually it’s the perfect size please take note all Hoosier tire widths are crazy off. Never seen any tire manufacture be so off their width measurements. And it’s common knowledge if you ask around. I have found is you can add 10 mm to the Hoosier size then you get an accurate width. So my 235s are really about a 245 width, maybe 250 width.
Same thing on my smaller wheels for lint 4C the 245/35/17 Hoosier is about a 255 width. I’ve put all these tires side-by-side and verified it with my own eyes.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your car. My advice is to go a bit wider with the tire and protect your nice rims from curb damage. I’ve been doing that for years. FYI you may have noticed I have 10 mm wider tires in the front with my street set at 255 width on Michelin PS4S and 20 mm wider at rear with 305 Michelin PS4S on my QV
Thanks.

I was told to reduce the "squirrelly" feeling caused by lateral movement of the tread relative to the wheel you need some "stretch" by having the tread narrower than the rim. The Q4 OEM 225 40r19 tires have a tiny amount of stretch; the only 19" stock tire/wheel combination for Giulia that has such. I could put 255 35r19s on the 19x10 Tecnico wheels front and rear and have a lot of stretch, but I suspect that will have that "low rider" look (yes, looks matter), and I do not think wider will clear in the front.

So far I just stay away from curbs == no curb rash. Most of my driving is on highways where curbs are not an issue.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By some accounts it is the coldest inhabited place in California. Records to -34F in the winter (some old timers claim they have seen -60F on their thermometers). The Marines put their Mountain warfare training center (originally the cold weather training center) nearby for a reason. Bridgeport is a tiny resort town advertised as the "Sportsman's Paradise". Fishing, hiking, one of the oldest and largest "Dude ranches" on the planet, back backing, rock climbing, hunting (if you can get a tag), etc etc.

Thanks.

I was told to reduce the "squirrelly" feeling caused by lateral movement of the tread relative to the wheel you need some "stretch" by having the tread narrower than the rim. The Q4 OEM 225 40r19 tires have a tiny amount of stretch; the only 19" stock tire/wheel combination for Giulia that has such. I could put 255 35r19s on the 19x10 Tecnico wheels front and rear and have a lot of stretch, but I suspect that will have that "low rider" look (yes, looks matter), and I do not think wider will clear in the front.

So far I just stay away from curbs == no curb rash. Most of my driving is on highways where curbs are not an issue.
Crazy California with Death Valley and Bridgeport! But I’m not under 100 percent sure you’re just messing with me as I see the temperature in your town is in the 70s there today.

If you go a bit wider on your tires than the “official charts” recommend for the width of your rims in my opinion you just have to watch the treadwear and make sure it’s not ballooning in in the center and wearing that area more than the sides. But If you drive aggressively even just a little bit at times it should not be a problem at all. Never has been for me.
But yes ideally the tire probably preforms better if the rim is a bit wider than the tire but I doubt the most people could feel it. But I always get wide rims for my track tires where there are no parking curbs.
I’ve just seen so many beautiful wheels that got scraped up from parking at street curbs. Also wider tires look better. And you don’t have to mess with adding spacers which I do not like it all.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Crazy California with Death Valley and Bridgeport! But I’m not under 100 percent sure you’re just messing with me as I see the temperature in your town is in the 70s there today.
Today's prediction for my property up the hill from Bridgeport is shown below. NOAA produces a prediction just for my property :) Yes the predicted high for Bridgeport was 74F today; Bridgeport often sees a 40F temperature swing between low and high. Since yesterday NOAA has canceled the chance of snow on the weekend, moving it out to Monday - Tuesday. There is a reason why the nearby Markleeville Deathride got moved from its original May time frame to July. If it wasn't so cold I could grow spectacular wine grapes; every other aspect is perfect.

https://deathride.com

If you go a bit wider on your tires than the “official charts” recommend for the width of your rims in my opinion you just have to watch the treadwear and make sure it’s not ballooning in in the center and wearing that area more than the sides. But If you drive aggressively even just a little bit at times it should not be a problem at all. Never has been for me.
But yes ideally the tire probably preforms better if the rim is a bit wider than the tire but I doubt the most people could feel it. But I always get wide rims for my track tires where there are no parking curbs.
I’ve just seen so many beautiful wheels that got scraped up from parking at street curbs. Also wider tires look better. And you don’t have to mess with adding spacers which I do not like it all.
Tirerack says that 255 35r19 will fit on an 8.5 inch wide rim. I'm not sure that is ideal for handling though. I know you had them fitted before you lowered your car, was the handling stable? I'm NOT a race/track person and need the car to feel stable on the road to be able to drive fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
[
Tirerack says that 255 35r19 will fit on an 8.5 inch wide rim. I'm not sure that is ideal for handling though. I know you had them fitted before you lowered your car, was the handling stable? I'm NOT a race/track person and need the car to feel stable on the road to be able to drive fast.
Yeah it’s fine. I kind of said all of that already in my post of my opinion on going wider. Maybe go to a really good tire store with a really good tire manager and talk with him in person to make you feel more comfortable. And learn some things about rims and tires as there is lots of fun things to learn. Personally I do that and learn quite a bit. These guys seeall kinds of tires on all kinds of cars and it’s pretty interesting stuff . And actually I had 265s on my car before I lowered it. But when I lowered it that size was too wide and it rubbed. So for a stock car will be fine it’s only 10 mm wider anyway

You say you’re not a track person but you want to go fast well if you might want to go to the track first and get some track time going fast. There’s all kinds of places that hold events for every experience level from advanced to novice that make it safe and very fun! Maybe you’re already very advanced driver but just don’t track it. But I warn you it’s addictive! Porsche club holds really good events with good instructors. Sometimes just going to tracking event as a spectator is really fun and helps boost your confidence and realize it anyone pretty much can do it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts