Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be doing my 2500 miles. While 1,000 miles its a good idea I feel like I didn't break the engine in 100% yet and wanted to wait bit more. I know what you are saying though. May have oil sent into blackstone labs for analysis as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After about 2200 Miles My oil level is as such:

Checked the Dipstick as well and its in between the 2 dots.
Greetings! A quick question, I stopped by the local dealer yesterday to take a look at their Giulia inventory and after popping the hood on one I had difficulty locating the dipstick ... the salesman couldn't seem to locate it as well... it may just be a matter of my aging eyes, but where in the engine bay is the dipstick? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, I forgot you have the Q .... I was researching the Ti and for the life of me could not find the dipstick. I just hope that AR didn't follow the BMW school of thinking on this model and only allow owners to check oil level via the interior digital info system. I guess I'm just old school in many ways, (owned a 2000 GTV in college), and want the convenience of having a manual method of checking oil levels. Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can understand them not putting in a transmission dipstick but an oil dipstick? I thought that was an absolute in things they included ?
This is definitely a trend though, using sensors and removing the dipstick. I've seen discussions somewhere else before: one can argue that removing the dipstick will simplify engine structure (no stick tunnel needed) improving both cost and reliability.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you do your first oil change service at 1,000 miles? (Which I would highly recommend with any brand new car)
Last I checked, most new cars ship with special lubricants that are designed to help break in the engine, swapping out that oil at 1000 miles would be dangerous.

With that said, I looked in the manual to see when the first recommended oil change is, but couldn't find anything (I imagine Alfa wants you to do it when the car tells you to).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last I checked, most new cars ship with special lubricants that are designed to help break in the engine, swapping out that oil at 1000 miles would be dangerous.

With that said, I looked in the manual to see when the first recommended oil change is, but couldn't find anything (I imagine Alfa wants you to do it when the car tells you to).

No special lubricants installed in the car for breaking in. In todays modern engines and the advancement of oil there is no need for it. As for doing an oil change before it is recommended is purely a personal choice and is not needed. The only time that car need very low mile oil changes intervals is when they are being tracked. Other than that following the manufactures recommendations is fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My first post.

Got a Giulia Q4. Rosso Red. 3,500 miles in 5 weeks. No issues. Although I was reluctant to get an automatic (I am hard core manual transmission guy), I have to admit this 8 speed automatic with paddle shifter is incredible. Awesome car. My last Alfa was a 164S. This is quite an improvement.

Question: The car comes with Pennzoil Euro 0W30 motor oil. Anyone knows where we get this oil in the US? Listed by Pennzoil in the web page, but unable to find locally. Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
My first post.

Got a Giulia Q4. Rosso Red. 3,500 miles in 5 weeks. No issues. Although I was reluctant to get an automatic (I am hard core manual transmission guy), I have to admit this 8 speed automatic with paddle shifter is incredible. Awesome car. My last Alfa was a 164S. This is quite an improvement.

Question: The car comes with Pennzoil Euro 0W30 motor oil. Anyone knows where we get this oil in the US? Listed by Pennzoil in the web page, but unable to find locally. Thanks
Your Alfa dealer, hard pressed to find it anywhere else. I had a 2015 Viper ACR last year and only the Dodge dealer had it.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I just got my Giulia, they are following BMW and others with no dipstick on the 2.0 and change intervals looks to be 10K miles or 1 year if driven less than that, not unlike Porsche. Not sure what oil is used, assuming full synthetic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only time that car need very low mile oil changes intervals is when they are being tracked. Other than that following the manufactures recommendations is fine.
... and when they sit for extended periods and do not get used. :wink2:

Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just got my Giulia, they are following BMW and others with no dipstick on the 2.0 and change intervals looks to be 10K miles or 1 year if driven less than that, not unlike Porsche. Not sure what oil is used, assuming full synthetic.

Pennzoil Euro 0W30. According to Pennzoil available, but practically impossible to find in the US market.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I apologize if this is a silly question, but I have to ask anyway: How do you check the engine oil level in a Giulia ? (not the QV)

The owners manual is not clear. I understand once the engine is running at normal temperature and on a flat surface, one should turn the engine off off, wait a few minutes and then check the level by pushing the start button without starting the engine. Is this the correct process?

The owners manual seems to indicate that the level should be checked with the engine running.

Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts