Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
-2017 Giulia Q4 -2020 Stelvio Q4
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit younger American so tbh I knew next-to-nothing about Alfa Romeo until it's American rebirth in 2017. Before actually seeing 1 on the road, I got my first glimpse of the brand during the 2017 Super bowl. After that I was hooked and now own 2.

Although I doubt we'd see another 1 during the Super bowl, what would your commercial script be? I need to live something out because it's been too long since I've seen a good Alfa commercial

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
678 Posts
Someone pulling into a Costco parking lot in a Montreal green Giulia and everyone turns to look. All the other cars are suvs. Scene ends as the person pulls out of the lot and the sound of the exhaust fades out the screen. Alfa logo appears . "Affordable luxury performance , be different, be beautiful "

·
Registered
348 Posts
I thought the original SuperBowl commercial was pretty perfect. I watched that video dozens of times and from the first watching, I new I'd buy one. When it suddenly goes from classical music to the car ripping that amazing shift/exhaust note - I rewatched that over and over and over. The perfect ad plays to the excitement and emotion of the car. It's all about that soundtrack.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Because the cost of a TV commercial in the Super Bowl is about $5M for 30 seconds, I would simply edit this 2'40" video down to 30": Click here.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
678 Posts
Anyone see the 15 minute Audi water balloon fight short that came out maybe 3 weeks ago? Audi pulled it maybe 24 hours in. It was amazing. Included classics and several Audi werks drivers, Tom Christiansen and others. Really cool .

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
111 Posts
If only Peter Stormare could do the same for Alfa that he did for VW.

With that said, I present Peter Stomare's three comedy classic "Un-Pimp Your Ride" VW videos.

They're still fresh fifteen years later - especially in the PRK where these "pimped" cars are still popular.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
678 Posts
Back when I worked for a large evil media company someone gave me a 90 minute CD which was just recordings of various cars going through the gears. They used it for choosing what to put into movie scenes. Really wish I kept it. No idea what I did with it. Some seriously awesome sounds. The Ferrari video reminded me back to that time in the before times

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti RWD
42 Posts
The screen goes to an intersection were cars are driving by,
then a famous voice says "Did you see it?"
pause -
"neither did I"
screen cuts to an 2022 Alfa Romeo GTV pulling onto a busy street
"Be uncommon"
"Be an Alfa"
screen cuts to Logo
fade to black

·
Registered
172 Posts
Someone pulling into a Costco parking lot in a Montreal green Giulia and everyone turns to look. All the other cars are suvs. Scene ends as the person pulls out of the lot and the sound of the exhaust fades out the screen. Alfa logo appears . "Affordable luxury performance , be different, be beautiful "
I like this idea. It's no secret that luxury car brands have become more watered down and increasingly common over the years. Everybody drives a BMW and Merc now, aside from a couple models there is nothing unique or special-feeling about them. When I had my first BMW the company only produced two SUVs and a lot of owners were very passionate about the way the products drove. Now I see grannies rolling around in BMWs, and as a result only the M division attracts me due to its more bespoke nature (which has also been watered down with badging on non-M models).

Part of my attraction to Alfa was that it is different from the monotonous and dull white CLA, GLC, X3 etc you see crawling around at every Costco. Alfas are dripping with Italian flair and passion. They should really try to sell that point home.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,378 Posts
I like the ideas here. Gotta introduce Alfa to people who don't have it on their radar. And then follow up, for heaven's sake. One ad doesn't do it all.

Car commercials that stick in my mind for surprise, emotion, and creativity include Eminem's "Imported from Detroit" and Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day". Fiat's (remember them?) "Blue Pill" was a gem, and VW's "Darth Vader" for some reason connected.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
A gloomy overcast day. Raining. A plethora of white, gray, beige, black cars in a jungle of concrete, steel and glass…. A child looking out the window of a dreary diner spots a flash of red between the “normies” on the road.

The camera positioned behind the childs head follows the gaze, in slow motion, as moving traffic and pedestrians outside reveals glimpses of the bright red car moving through it. You never get to see the whole car, but just enough to know what it is.

The red car is always in focus while the others are out-of-focus, almost like background noise.

Fade to black. QV badge.

Absolutely no talking or singing or voices. The only sound is the cold city and the rain.

General feeling of fall/autumn... cold and damp, with the QV being the only warm color.

·
Registered
334 Posts
First, define the three words you want associated with the brand. These words will be used across ads within a medium and in ads across all media. Find the three words you want to drill into peoples’ heads. Three words that will become ear worms every time someone sees an Alfa Romeo. I don’t know what those exact three bestest, most motivating words are, but for the same of argument I’ll go with beauty, performance, passion.

Second, realize too many consumers still don’t know what an Alpha Romero is, because AR marketing sux. A great ad (campaign) for AR thus has to do two things: educate about the brand and introduce some FOMO into it.

=======

Ad opens in black. Sound of a heartbeat is a through-line. Remember that there are two pulses in one heartbeat. On the first pulse of every beat, the screen does a fast fade to a visual (described later), and on the second pulse, a fast fade to black. The entire commercial is a series of visuals alternating with black, set to the rhythm of a heartbeat.

The commercial is divided into two thematic halves: a historical half and a current half. The VOG (voice of god) says the three words over the first three beats with the visuals underneath. “Beauty... performance... passion.” For each word, an historic visual flashes: maybe a Vil d’Este, a P2 and a 33 Stradale. Then, as two more beats count and historic photos/clips appear underneath, VOG continues: “One of Italy’s oldest car companies...” At that point, the heartbeat literally skips a beat in silence, then it resumes.

Now the visuals are photos/clips of Giulia and Stelvio (wish the 4C were still around). VOG continues: “One of America’s newest car brands. Beauty...performance...passion,” with coordinating visuals of maybe Giulia side flanks, Stelvio QV engine bay, then a blood red Giulia quarterpanel with the QV badge.

The commercial ends with a two beat coda: “Alfa” and “Romeo”. During the first beat, the AR logo flashes in and out just like the other visuals, but on “Romeo” it fades in and stays. End of ad.

=====

In 30 seconds or so, the ad has shown what Alfa Romeo is, its history, where it came from, how there’s a through-line from 1910 until now, what the brand values are (those three magic words), how those magic words infuse the current range, and, hopefully, made the viewer curious to find out more about this old/new brand.

To be effective, it would have to be a wrap-around campaign with a branded dealership experience (and the magic words incorporated into every piece of it) or else all the goodwill would be lost, but that’s beyond the scope of a commercial. Or a forum comment.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
too many consumers still don’t know what an Alpha Romero is, because AR marketing sux. A great ad (campaign) for AR thus has to do two things: educate about the brand and introduce some FOMO into it.
Would be nice if autocomplete and spell checkers would get it right.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
120 Posts
Arnold Schwarzenegger posing as a stopsign squeegee guy while an Alfa stops. Arnold leans into the driver's window and says "I need your clothes, your driving shoes and your Alfa Romeo".
The Alfa speeds away in a massive cloud of rubber smoke while it's revealed that the driver is Robert Patrick and that Charlie Sheen is playing with an Abarth toy car in the back seat.

😅

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts