Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1509 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Away from home with family for the weekend, and parked my QV around the corner under another home, which the owner says is fine. Went for a walk with grandson, and noted my car's truck was open! Probably for several days. So closed it, glad to see the tail lights flashed, giving me hope my battery wasn't dead. Got a key, went back, and with quiet prayers, it started right up, no dash warnings. Later my son said the day before, he had picked up "his" car key, and pushed the trunk opener button, then realized it wasn't his car. So there must be some system that shuts down power to the trunk light if left open, and that the car was parked about 40 yards away thru the trees. Makes my life a lot easier so far from home. NV

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't know when or how the heaters in the washer nozzles are activated. Nothing in any of the regular documentation even mentions it. Checking the Wiring Information manual from Tech Authority, they are energized with the rear window defroster (which also turns on the mirror heaters). Makes sense but nice to have it confirmed. On another item, the service manual states that the ABS module has the capability to vary the brightness of the brake lights depending on the pedal pressure! Gotta go see if that actually works!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn't know when or how the heaters in the washer nozzles are activated. Nothing in any of the regular documentation even mentions it. Checking the Wiring Information manual from Tech Authority, they are energized with the rear window defroster (which also turns on the mirror heaters). Makes sense but nice to have it confirmed. On another item, the service manual states that the ABS module has the capability to vary the brightness of the brake lights depending on the pedal pressure! Gotta go see if that actually works!
Its mind blowing to me that there are heated washer nozzles in the first place. One more thing to fail.
Is this true ?
And mirror heaters ?!?!
Get outa here !

Power windows /locks were a crazy luxury "in my day".
Air conditioning ? We read about it in the magazines.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ain't it the truth? Growing up in the fair city of Clovis, New Mexico in the 1950s, we would "drag Main" as teenagers with the windows rolled up no matter how hot it was so people would think we were rich enough to have air conditioning in our cars. Of course none of us did....

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Its mind blowing to me that there are heated washer nozzles in the first place. One more thing to fail.
Is this true ?
And mirror heaters ?!?!
Get outa here !

Power windows /locks were a crazy luxury "in my day".
Air conditioning ? We read about it in the magazines.
I remember when Consumer Reports advised to not get A/C or power windows unless you really have to have it. A nice sedan also weighed in at 2200-2500 pounds. Not necessarily "the good old days" though.

The mirror heaters certainly work and help when driving in adverse conditions. I have not seen any evidence of washer heaters. Here in California, CARB has made it almost impossible to get fluid with antifreeze. Some means to compensate would be good. One thing about the rear defroster is that it automatically shuts off after a relatively short while.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't believe the nozzle heaters either but after removing the plastic cover over the bottom of the nozzle (under the hood) I did find two wires going into each of the nozzles. Must be real.

Reactions: hownowcb

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I didn't believe the nozzle heaters either but after removing the plastic cover over the bottom of the nozzle (under the hood) I did find two wires going into each of the nozzles. Must be real.
OK, now you made me go out and look. I see that the washers are on the underside of the hood (seems strange to me) and that mine have 2 wires to the back of the nozzle on each one.

I wonder if the QV with its CF hood has the same arrangement.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
OK, now you made me go out and look. I see that the washers are on the underside of the hood (seems strange to me) and that mine have 2 wires to the back of the nozzle on each one.

I wonder if the QV with its CF hood has the same arrangement.
I think so. I assume that this is the wiring for the heated nozzles on the QV's CF hood.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Away from home with family for the weekend, and parked my QV around the corner under another home, which the owner says is fine. Went for a walk with grandson, and noted my car's truck was open! Probably for several days. So closed it, glad to see the tail lights flashed, giving me hope my battery wasn't dead. Got a key, went back, and with quiet prayers, it started right up, no dash warnings. Later my son said the day before, he had picked up "his" car key, and pushed the trunk opener button, then realized it wasn't his car. So there must be some system that shuts down power to the trunk light if left open, and that the car was parked about 40 yards away thru the trees. Makes my life a lot easier so far from home. NV
Yes, the trunk lights and all the interior lights including the courtesy light turn off after a few minutes after opening the doors or trunk.

·
Registered
147 Posts
These have been around for a while now. I had a 2007 car that had them. Never noticed any difference when using them though to fair.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I learned that when the battery in your key fob is getting low a warning appears on the instrument cluster. Nice touch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I learned that when the battery in your key fob is getting low a warning appears on the instrument cluster. Nice touch.
Yep, happened to me last week. To be fair, seen it happen on a couple of other cars with keyless start

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
These have been around for a while now. I had a 2007 car that had them. Never noticed any difference when using them though to fair.
Based on the tiny wires and plastic construction it seems likely that the heaters are only intended to defrost the nozzle rather than heat the fluid.

Reactions: mtb.ck

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing about the Giulia I didn't know about was.....It's so freaking fun to drive.
There are other faster and quicker cars out there, but Giulia's got characters and a soul that other cars are lacking.
Back in late 2018/early 2019, I was soooo set on ordering a 2019 M5 Competition.
But after one test drive of the QV in Feb of 2019, I cancelled my M5 order, got my deposit back from BMW and ordered my QV instead and no looking back ever since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The online builder lists those features as part of the cold weather package...it convinced me to get it, otherwise I don't think I'd pay that much for heated seats alone! (edit: there is the steering wheel too which is super nice, but not $800 nice)

Any result on the brake light variability test?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Forgot to check! Did it just now and of course the brightness does not vary with respect to pedal pressure. On/off just like any other car that doesn't have that aftermarket module that makes the brakelights flash with varying frequency (very popular with motorcyclists). I would have been truly amazed if this ABS feature were actually present.

Reactions: Grits91
1421 - 1440 of 1509 Posts