Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1330 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Found out yesterday that if you play around with the units in custom mode, and change distance to miles, the digital speedo changes from km/h to mph, and the odometer changes from km to mi.
Watch out for those confusing miles/gallon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are in your legal right to be there but you might consider this. Even though you are legal you might be causing an unsafe condition. Legally correct and dead is still dead.
@JuliaQ4-Nut The law in most states (I think all 50) is "Slower Traffic Keep Right" - HOV or not. In Europe you always stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking another vehicle. If you are doing 70 in the left lane and someone comes up behind you should always yield the lane to the faster traffic. They are the ones risking a ticket...

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Do you folks use Troy pounds (372 grams) for measuring PSI in Australia? In the USA we use Avoirdupois pounds, which weigh 454 grams. If you are using Troy pounds we have an explanation for this apparent high pressure since 42PSI Troy ~= 34.5 PSI Avoirdupois.

OTOH, 290kpa = 42psi Avoirdupois.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
@JuliaQ4-Nut The law in most states (I think all 50) is "Slower Traffic Keep Right" - HOV or not. In Europe you always stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking another vehicle. If you are doing 70 in the left lane and someone comes up behind you should always yield the lane to the faster traffic. They are the ones risking a ticket...
I don't think "slow traffic must stay right" is enforceable in California. There most certainly is no law banning passing on the right in California to the point that the law gives rules for when passing on the right is legal (when it is safe and you can stay on the road). When I was last in Washington state passing on the right was encouraged as a way to avoid having left turn vehicles block traffic and in-town roads were striped accordingly.

In California slow traffic must pull over if there are 5 or more vehicles behind. Road signs indicate on some roads that slow drivers must us turnouts for any vehicles behind, but I don't think that is enforceable. Commercial trucks must stay in the right most though lane except to pass on roads with 2-3 lanes/direction or the right most 2 lanes on roads with 4 or more lanes/direction. There used to be some exceptions for congested areas, but I do not see those exceptions posted anymore.

In all of my years of driving I have seen exactly 1 person get pulled over by the CHP for failure to use a turn out.

That said, I find that if I am in the left lane speeding away and someone is pulling up behind me, it is way better to pull over than to risk a crash caused by whatever stunt that person is likely to pull to get around me. Even then it is often not possible because these people think that 2' is adequate following distance, so I cannot get a safe distance in front of the person on my right before these guys cut in and try to become a statistic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"slow traffic must stay right"
I said "slower traffic keep right" - which is used on the US Interstate system and is usually posted (and ultimately ignored) on a white sign with black lettering. Other divided roadways differ from the interstate system. In theory, you should always be able to move into the right lane safely because traffic should always pass on the left (or drivers) side.

I guess what I should have said is "going with the flow of traffic" vs. "maximum speed limit". In some states (not all) you can get a ticket for impeding traffic by going slow(er) in the left (or fast) lane. This too is rarely enforced.

The international signal to request the driver in front of you to yield the lane is to flash your lights twice. This doesn't work on US roads because it just pisses the person off in front of you and could cause a road rage incident. Everywhere else you just get a courtesy wave as you pass them - here you get the "You are number 1 finger" (middle finger). I just checked my states handbook and yes, it is in there and nobody cares.

One time I was in my dentist chair getting some work done and the dentist and tech were discussing this scenario and I had no way to add my 2c to the conversation. The dentist argument was "I pay taxes on the road so I can drive in any lane I want! at any speed I want!" That dog don't hunt!

I drive way too fast sometimes but I am not an aggressive driver, I am an assertive driver. I am using 2 hands, monitoring traffic and try to not pass on the right of any vehicle because of the dangers involved. Also drive IAW the weather conditions and the amount of traffic on the road.

OK, off my soapbox and I apologize because this is the wrong forum to discuss this topic. It is just one that gets under my skin!

I love my Giulia. I recently found out that the "Change Oil" light in the center console will come on at 3800 miles on a brand new car. Valet my vehicle to the dealership, get a loaner, flashed 4 or 5 updates and was told I'm good to go (no oil change needed). I love my Giulia. The infotainment system is just a count down from 10k miles and 365 days. I love my Giulia. I found out that Italians have great design skills but don't always think about the little details but make minor adjustments in each MY of the car. I love my Giulia. No sarcasm - I really do love my car! I'm Alfa for life (or until they stop making cars for the North American markets).

Arrivederci!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I said "slower traffic keep right" - which is used on the US Interstate system and is usually posted (and ultimately ignored) on a white sign with black lettering. Other divided roadways differ from the interstate system. In theory, you should always be able to move into the right lane safely because traffic should always pass on the left (or drivers) side.

I guess what I should have said is "going with the flow of traffic" vs. "maximum speed limit". In some states (not all) you can get a ticket for impeding traffic by going slow(er) in the left (or fast) lane. This too is rarely enforced.

The international signal to request the driver in front of you to yield the lane is to flash your lights twice. This doesn't work on US roads because it just pisses the person off in front of you and could cause a road rage incident. Everywhere else you just get a courtesy wave as you pass them - here you get the "You are number 1 finger" (middle finger). I just checked my states handbook and yes, it is in there and nobody cares.

One time I was in my dentist chair getting some work done and the dentist and tech were discussing this scenario and I had no way to add my 2c to the conversation. The dentist argument was "I pay taxes on the road so I can drive in any lane I want! at any speed I want!" That dog don't hunt!

I drive way too fast sometimes but I am not an aggressive driver, I am an assertive driver. I am using 2 hands, monitoring traffic and try to not pass on the right of any vehicle because of the dangers involved. Also drive IAW the weather conditions and the amount of traffic on the road.

OK, off my soapbox and I apologize because this is the wrong forum to discuss this topic. It is just one that gets under my skin!

I love my Giulia. I recently found out that the "Change Oil" light in the center console will come on at 3800 miles on a brand new car. Valet my vehicle to the dealership, get a loaner, flashed 4 or 5 updates and was told I'm good to go (no oil change needed). I love my Giulia. The infotainment system is just a count down from 10k miles and 365 days. I love my Giulia. I found out that Italians have great design skills but don't always think about the little details but make minor adjustments in each MY of the car. I love my Giulia. No sarcasm - I really do love my car! I'm Alfa for life (or until they stop making cars for the North American markets).

Arrivederci!
Yes there are driving cultural differences all over the world. I love driving in Italy and all Alfa drivers should try it some time as it will help you to understand these cars (slightly aggressive but a clear understanding to drive in the slow lane unless overtaking). In Australia mostly Ok but way too many, especially large SUVs and Mercedes think they own the fast lane no matter what (low) speed they do. On a recent drive around the New England area of the USA I noted a lack of use of indicators, as well as so many A holes, especially in so called pick up trucks, aggressively racing up on ramps to get on motorways in front of you and then just sitting there in front of you. Use of the horn was met with not only middle fingers but also handgun finger gestures.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Nope, not an interstate rule as interstate highways in California have no such signage. Some states may mandate said signs, but not the federal rules. There are such signs in passing areas of California state highways.

Sometimes people migrate to the left lane in the hope of avoiding heavy vehicle induced potholes and surface roughness.

Your oil change was probably mandated based on age. Oil can accumulate water from condensation when the car is just sitting around.

The car also supposedly has some means to monitor degradation of the oil. I have no idea if that mechanism really exists and if so, if it works in a meaningful fashion.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Flashing twice doesn't work here when the camper in the left lane has their head down on their phone :(

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Apparently it's a Prius thing.

Washington State has a keep right law. No idea how vigorously it's being enforced.

For some reason it is also a Mustang thing. I don't understand, but it is a thing...

Thanks for the info on Washington State. California may have similar rules but if so they are neither posted nor enforced on interstate highways.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Do you folks use Troy pounds (372 grams) for measuring PSI in Australia? In the USA we use Avoirdupois pounds, which weigh 454 grams. If you are using Troy pounds we have an explanation for this apparent high pressure since 42PSI Troy ~= 34.5 PSI Avoirdupois.

OTOH, 290kpa = 42psi Avoirdupois.
Wow. The imperial system is a joke.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Wow. The imperial system is a joke.
Yeah, metric is mostly sane while "english" units are not. I do not understand why conversion in the USA has been so slow.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Adding to a few posts here. My trunk mounted lock - unlock button works as intended. Being able to change the IP display to metric was fantastic when we drove to Canada a few months ago. Here in PA I used to see KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS signs on the interstate, but I see fewer and fewer of them these days. But, just last week on my nearby Rt83, one day there was a stacked line of cars in the left lane, one by one having to go around a slow car (driving the 55 mph speed limit) by passing on the right. As I got closer I saw that one of the vehicles (stacked in the left lane) was a State Police Trooper vehicle. When it was finally the the vehicle right behind the slow poke, it illuminated it's flashing lights and pulled him-her over. Myself, and other cars toot-tooted and thumbed-up and flashed the lights at the officer as we passed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I discovered this morning that he remote start will auto-cancel if you are low on fuel. Good feature, but it would be better if it just didn’t auto start at all in the first place if you are low on fuel...

·
Registered
319 Posts
My wife also gripes about left lane drivers holding up faster cars. But her observation, partly from riding with her now passed elderly father, was that older drivers often have less comfortable neck movements, and also don't feel comfortable with having to watch for merge lane traffic, and having to move back to the left, or adjust their speed to merging traffic.

As for zipping around a slow left lane car, I only do it safely and if the road ahead is clear, other wise it isn't worth it.

NV

1301 - 1320 of 1330 Posts