Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
2301 - 2320 of 2328 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If some people weren't so stupid, we wouldn't have all of these mandated safety features.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,636 Posts
If some people weren't so stupid, we wouldn't have all of these mandated safety features.
The price we pay to protect people from themselves.

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Or from hurting other people. There's videos of idiots getting out of their cars and then the car rolls down the street endangering everyone.
I can see value in being protected from idiots. Of course, I get to share the cost.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have mentioned this before here, but our headlight and front end are the highest form of aphrodisiac. Whenever I’m Behind someone... not tailgating mind you... their car immediately drops down to 10 miles below the speed limit. It even affects the wandering soul who meanders into my lane without notice. These drivers instantly engage in self gratification that causes them to lose all sense and awareness.
I’m thinking of taping a photo of a less erotic car on my front, to pacify this dangerous reaction of the throes of stupor.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have mentioned this before here, but our headlight and front end are the highest form of aphrodisiac. Whenever I’m Behind someone... not tailgating mind you... their car immediately drops down to 10 miles below the speed limit. It even affects the wandering soul who meanders into my lane without notice. These drivers instantly engage in self gratification that causes them to lose all sense and awareness.
I’m thinking of taping a photo of a less erotic car on my front, to pacify this dangerous reaction of the throes of stupor.
I think it’s better to believe this, rather than being some twisted, spiteful pr!ck... but then, that’s just me 😎.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have mentioned this before here, but our headlight and front end are the highest form of aphrodisiac.
I have noticed some modern Nissan sedans, that when I momentarily get a glance of their grille in the rear view mirror, I think for a moment that it is a Giulia. Even more recently they changed their headlights and they look even more like Giulia. What's the saying, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? But side-by-side, it's not even close. Nothing out there can match that large Italian vagina adorning the front of our cars.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,556 Posts
I have noticed some modern Nissan sedans, that when I momentarily get a glance of their grille in the rear view mirror, I think for a moment that it is a Giulia. Even more recently they changed their headlights and they look even more like Giulia. What's the saying, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? But side-by-side, it's not even close. Nothing out there can match that large Italian vagina adorning the front of our cars.
I'm ashamed to admit I often mistake the Mazda CX-5 (whatever the medium crossover is) for the stelvio :(

• Wow
Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
And if I remember correctly, it was a Dodge too. These kinds of idiot-proofing features tends to spread at light speed to corporate cousins.
Yeah, “platform sharing”. I liked the “monostable” shifter in my two Chrysler 300s and find the rotary shifter that replaced them more confusing.

Reactions: johnalfa

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I realized you don't have to put the car in park before shutting down. Just turn it off and it goes to park automatically.
Or on occasion the engine stops because of auto start/stop at the same time you think you’re hitting the button and when you take your foot off the brake it goes through your garage wall. 😱

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,556 Posts
Or on occasion the engine stops because of auto start/stop at the same time you think you’re hitting the button and when you take your foot off the brake it goes through your garage wall. 😱
Ask you how you know? 😬

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,273 Posts
Ask you how you know? 😬
A few years back there was a long discussion on this subject. The person who started that thread proclaimed that if the car can automatically engage park and parking brake it should be safe to rely on it. The counter argument is that this is a safety feature in case you forget to do those things manually, it is not intended to be the primary mode of operation. I am in the later camp. IMO to park the car, drive to the spot and while holding the brake with your foot, shift to park, engage parking brake, stop engine and only then take foot off of brake pedal. Ensure that the car does not move after taking foot off of brake pedal before opening any door. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it only takes 2 seconds or so if you do it as a routine.

Oh, and do not try to reverse the sequence really fast unless you want to experience the xmas tree of death while in the middle of a long line of stopped traffic <voice of experience>.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Ask you how you know? 😬
Actually not me, but as @lockem says, long discussion a few years back. I’m with him, not worth the .5 sec time savings, and clearly not intended as the primary means to park the car. The car will also shift into P when you open the door at low speed as well, but that’s not a recommended method to park either. Safety features to counter user erorrs.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
This makes me think of the idiots that get out of their car and it rolls away, crashing into something or nearly killing someone. Those people are idiots. Don’t be an idiot.
I was that idiot once. Fortunately, the car (a manual transmission SAAB 9000) didn't hit anyone or anything and stopped gently in the center of the shopping center parking lot, right over a drain. Not blaming the car, but that would not have been possible in the SAAB 900 it replaced.

2301 - 2320 of 2328 Posts