Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 2328 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Someone else has already answered from a mechanical changes perspective so I won't repeat those.

From a trims and options perspective, it's rather futile exercise to track it all down, because there have been additions / subtractions / changes every year in terms of the option packaging, not to mention it's highly country-specific.

I'd say the biggest non-mechanical change is the infotainment system being overhauled twice (first in MY2018 with new incompatible h/w & firmware; then again in MY2020 with a new touchscreen system).

Honestly though, this is the type of question that deserves its own thread instead of threadjacking another one.

I didn't want to start a new one in case I missed a previous thread. Also, from the previous posts it didn't sound like many people were discussing things they didn't know about the Giulia :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
901 Posts
No change in the drivetrain. 2020+ has minor suspension changes to appease bitchy customers complaining about the full lock slow speed turning skipping that occurs. Less steering feel is the result. Infotainment updates in 2020+ (touchscreen, other random things). 2020+ added leather shift knob and supposedly a better interior, yet everyone I have driven seems to be on par quality wise as my 2018. Certain trims were recently dropped and replaced to simplify the ordering and building process.
I happen to be a fan of my 2018 interior layout and steering. The only thing I would like is that better shift knob and I think the steering wheel is a bit chunkier.

·
Registered
115 Posts
After getting the max oil exceeded message I figured I better check my oil, so I popped the hood and started looking for the dip stick. I looked for about 5 minutes or so and then gave up thinking, do I really need to reed the manual to just check my oil. So what I just learned is that the Giulia only has a virtual dipstick that you check through the info center.

I figured this would be a good place to share anything that we might not know about the Giulia.
Actually there is a small hole down by crank pulley that theoretically can be used but need either proper dipstick tool or correct sized Allen key. Really hard to get access to it. Kinda lame of Alfa imo

·
Registered
115 Posts
What does my Giulia have in common with a Beer Can?

Shortly after getting my Ti Q4 last April, I bought a fancy LED troublelight with a supermagnet to attach to the hood. Went to stick the light to the inside of the hood (that’s bonnet, for you UK folks) and couldn’t find a flat surface that was steel.

Darn thing was entirely aluminum. For chuckles, went around the car and found out how much AL was actually used.

Sometime later, I found a couple of bolts, the hood “U” latches and other tidbits that would stick, but Hood, strut towers caps, front quarters, doors, wheels, etc. plus the engine block, intake, turbo body, and other stuff up-front are all lightweight aluminum.

Where it counts, the roof, A pilars, B pilars, rear quarters, trunklid are all steel. I’m told the cockpit is protected by clever steel space-frame design to protect the occupants and achieve the terrific safety ratings in the EU and NA. And contrary to some posts and a footnote on the IIHS website, changes in mid-year 2016 actually leveraged this space-frame to achieve superior safety in the nasty small-overlap collision test, earning a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating, when optioned appropriately.

Also, impressive AL up front and steel in back helps get that 50%/50% weight distribution that makes this car handle like a champ.

Wow!
Apparently some early Giulias had combo steel and aluminum trunk lids but had issues with dissimilar metal corrosion. Nice post btw.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Badging

Here's something I did not understand and still do not. My Giulia TI has a Q4 badge on the trunk lid. And other TIs have Q2. When I first saw one of these I thought it must be the Quad version. I understand the 2 and 4 part. But why the Q on the TI, when it appears that the Quad has no id badge? Same I think for the base model. What's with the Q on the TI? Why no badges on the other 2 models?
🤔🥴🤣🤣 Dude my head is spinning from this. Lol Q4 indicates all wheel drive vs Q2 rwd.
QV infers Quadrifiglio kinda heavy sport factory upgraded derivative version of a model.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Q is only if LSD. My current Veloce is Q-less. My Estrema (built today apparently!!!) is a Q2 as it has LSD, and we only have RWD in UK

Reactions: Drew and wingler

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong)...

Q2 = RWD with LSD

Q4 = AWD, regardless if it has LSD or not

QV never has any Q badges

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,255 Posts
Q is only if LSD. My current Veloce is Q-less. My Estrema (built today apparently!!!) is a Q2 as it has LSD, and we only have RWD in UK
No. As @Biscione said, Q does not mean LSD.

Q2 = RWD LSD (Ti Perf Pack in US)
Q4 = AWD w/o LSD, or AWD w/ LSD (Ti Perf Pack in US)
No Badge = RWD w/o LSD
QV has the Cloverleaf badge on fender, and other little details.

For people wondering what the car is made of, this is of course a snapshot in time, but here is what the man, the myth, the legend: @MacGeek posted years ago.

The steel parts are galvanized. I do not know the exact alloy of the aluminium parts.

Going in more detail as to which parts are made of what...

Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it.

Pale blue (bumpers): plastic
Bright yellow: stamped aluminium
Pale yellow: low strength steel
Orange: high strength steel
Blue: advanced high strength steel
Red: tempered steel
Pink/light purple: cast aluminium
Green: extruded aluminium

·
Registered
447 Posts
<snip>
<snip>
<snip>
LSD is also standard on the Veloce trim for 2022 (USA).

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,255 Posts
LSD is also standard on the Veloce trim for 2022 (USA).
Well now you're talking about the WTF IS GOING ON WITH TRIMS years. I can't keep track anymore, and don't even try. :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think my explanation still applies, regardless of trim level or model year, but I could be (and is often proven) wrong.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,556 Posts
No. As @Biscione said, Q does not mean LSD.

No Badge = RWD w/o LSD
QV has the Cloverleaf badge on fender, and other little details.

For people wondering what the car is made of, this is of course a snapshot in time, but here is what the man, the myth, the legend: @MacGeek posted years ago.
I miss @MacGeek

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,271 Posts
It still does, just a bit more muted.

It has to do with the Ackerman geometry setup that helps with high speed stability and feel. They tweaked it a bit to lessen the low speed skipping issue. Still a great setup though. Still good feel. Nothing to do with AWD.

AWD in any year has a worse steering circle compared to RWD, even though the manual and specs say there is no difference. lol
The wider turning circle means it is less likely to exhibit the low speed skipping. I don't think the wider turning circle makes much difference except in a tight parking lot.

I do not know if it is sport versus standard pedals, but the feel of the accelerator pedal was substantially different on the later MY loaner that I got compared to my car. The throw seemed shorter and the stop more positive. I did not drive it enough to be certain, but it seemed like an improvement.

The hood latch hooks and mounting plates are steel. In fact a lot of brackets and such are steel for no obvious reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think my explanation still applies, regardless of trim level or model year, but I could be (and is often proven) wrong.
It does. RWD Veloces will have Q2 on them now as they have LSD (in UK as well)

I thought I'd worked out the logic with the Q2, Q4 that it means LSD in either case, but seems I was wrong! Cany you get AWD without LSD..I don't know these things!!

·
Registered
'18 Base Q4, white
325 Posts
I learned how the cupholder cover works! If open, push gently and it closes on it's own! I was playing with it after following another thread, and schwoop! it slid closed all by itself. Mine is open all the time anyway, but nice to know.

Fogg

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,556 Posts
Happened on Friday actually, but after 4+ years of ownership, I finally learned that my neighbor does indeed like the sound of my car; and here I thought all these years it was too loud for him 😃

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,271 Posts
I think this is a new one:

I set one of the seat memory buttons for the position I like to use to exit the car.
I shut the engine off and push the memory button, then open the door. The seat continues to the position that I selected. I close the door.
All what I wanted to this point.
Then some while later I come back and open the door. At this point the seat unexpectedly rolls another 2 inches back.

Does your car do this?

2261 - 2280 of 2328 Posts