Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1201 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the max oil exceeded message I figured I better check my oil, so I popped the hood and started looking for the dip stick. I looked for about 5 minutes or so and then gave up thinking, do I really need to reed the manual to just check my oil. So what I just learned is that the Giulia only has a virtual dipstick that you check through the info center.

I figured this would be a good place to share anything that we might not know about the Giulia.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What does my Giulia have in common with a Beer Can?

Shortly after getting my Ti Q4 last April, I bought a fancy LED troublelight with a supermagnet to attach to the hood. Went to stick the light to the inside of the hood (that’s bonnet, for you UK folks) and couldn’t find a flat surface that was steel.

Darn thing was entirely aluminum. For chuckles, went around the car and found out how much AL was actually used.

Sometime later, I found a couple of bolts, the hood “U” latches and other tidbits that would stick, but Hood, strut towers caps, front quarters, doors, wheels, etc. plus the engine block, intake, turbo body, and other stuff up-front are all lightweight aluminum.

Where it counts, the roof, A pilars, B pilars, rear quarters, trunklid are all steel. I’m told the cockpit is protected by clever steel space-frame design to protect the occupants and achieve the terrific safety ratings in the EU and NA. And contrary to some posts and a footnote on the IIHS website, changes in mid-year 2016 actually leveraged this space-frame to achieve superior safety in the nasty small-overlap collision test, earning a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating, when optioned appropriately.

Also, impressive AL up front and steel in back helps get that 50%/50% weight distribution that makes this car handle like a champ.

Wow!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'll let you know after my first track day with her.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
None of the three dealer's sales people were aware that the Giulia had rear fog lights. I saw it on an Alfa YouTube Giulia tutorial video and had to show them. IMO, a great feature if you ever drive in fog and don't like getting rear ended.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The headrests do not have a fore-aft adjustment.

If you disable auto high beams you also disable auto headlight on-off.

The parking light position is between the auto high beam position and the disable auto high beam position, so that you have to flash the headlights on-off-on to select auto-high beam off when starting up at night. Note that this is detrimental to the life expectancy of HID bulbs.

The floor slopes downward back to front leaving the driver's right foot in with no place to go when using cruise control. I may investigate putting a foam spacer underneath the floor mat to correct this issue.

The rear "sub woofer" speaker is mounted in a box, which is the way it should be. The upper part of the box also doubles as a cover for various bits of rear seat safety equipment.

You have to switch operating modes of the sound system (from radio to media or vice-versa) to switch between some sources of tunes.

The acoustic glass side windows are not laminated. Perhaps neither a plus nor a minus, just unexpected.

All windows as delivered on my car (including the windshield) with the options I ordered are tinted. I won't know until summer if it is sufficient to control heat gain <fingers crossed>.

Auto unlock can be disabled (IMO a big plus).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wait, what?!
yes, check it out. The button right in the middle of the trunk under the alfa logo locks the doors. The button just to the left of it opens the trunk. So daily I get out of my car, push the button on the left to open the trunk, get my backpack, close the trunk, push button under the alfa logo to lock the car.

The first couple of days I thought I was gong crazy since depending on where I put my hand, sometimes I could open the trunk and sometimes it would lock the car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yes, check it out. The button right in the middle of the trunk under the alfa logo locks the doors. The button just to the left of it opens the trunk. So daily I get out of my car, push the button on the left to open the trunk, get my backpack, close the trunk, push button under the alfa logo to lock the car.

The first couple of days I thought I was gong crazy since depending on where I put my hand, sometimes I could open the trunk and sometimes it would lock the car.
Hey thanks!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but it took me seven months and 6,800 miles to notice that the steering wheel can be heated. Had just ignored that button until I got curious and pressed it to see what would happen. Nice feature on cold mornings that I had never before given any thought to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For the past year, when parking, I have been putting the transmission in park then shutting down the engine. I recently found that it goes into park automatically when you shut down the engine.
Getting used to this so much that now I forget to put the rest of my vehicles in park when i use them.

Not good to suddenly coast forward...

·
Registered
90 Posts
After using remote start you have to push the start button on the steering wheel again to get the wipers (and probably a lot more) to work. i felt like an idiot the first day trying to figure this out.

1 - 20 of 1201 Posts