1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Touchscreen.

·
Registered
282 Posts
There's a few threads on this topic already that list the changes. Touchscreen is one of them, and it's a minor update indeed, mostly same system, just touch-enabled.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well, in fairness, the other threads where MY20 changes have been discussed are not about (i.e. titled) MY20 chanes, but yeah, resident AR insider @MacGeek has confirmed the touchscreen, IIRC.

Also, new colors are coming, and I think a couple are getting dropped, like Imola.

Thanks, for the thread, OP, as ai’ll be looking at a new MY20 this coming January, and I’m eagerly awaiting the AR configurator as I decide whether to special order one, or just wait and see what’s around on the lot when I turn my lease in. For example, the touchscreen could be an incentive either way depending on the execution. If it fouls up the elegant aesthetic of the dash, I’d be inclined to stay with a MY19; already my dealer offered to help me go that way if I choose by making an earlier transition less costly, too. While the converse scenario is also true, if it’s done well but they make other stupid changes, e.g. a monostable DNA switch with no mode memory after shut-off, that would push me to MY19. So yeah, I’m curious.

Production of MY20s should be starting at Cassino soon if it hasn’t already.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wonder what MY we will have decent wider tires for the Ti Q4? Even the Ti Q4 staggered configuration looks narrow. Something similar to the QV tires configuration would look great. Yes, I know, more weight added and all that stuff but, I would love to have that option.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Recent spy shots of the Stelvio QV interior show some changes that might make it in to the '20 Giulia. A redesigned steering wheel and controls, new armrest, rearrangement of console buttons and such....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Oh, that Stelvio pic reminds me that @MacGeek also said the shifter was getting a rework to remove that sharp edge it has. Hopefully they'll upgrade the materials as well to give a more substantive feel.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Really, touch screen isn't that good - much easier to use the controller. It's too bad the standard Dodge head unit isn't making it into this car - it's actually quite good. The 2.0 car really needs a sport exhaust option.
Wait, the standard Dodge unit is not rotary control, and it stinks, IMO, so I'm confused how you can slam touch screen then turn around praise uConnect. It's very hard to use uConnect because it's just poorly organized and hardly anything seems to be where I expect it to be, so it's difficult to remember navigation patterns through the menus. Yuck. And it has kid toy graphics. Lame.

I also do not know that touch screen would necessarily mean the rotary controller goes; could not both UIs be utilized in the same unit?

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
Touch screens are messy. I like my screen, no smug marks. touch also takes away from the driving and it becomes more like those German things.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ive been in cars where the touch screen is nice and in others where it's useless because of seating position. not exactly sure where the giulia falls until I try it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Touch screens are messy. I like my screen, no smug marks. touch also takes away from the driving and it becomes more like those German things.
Maybe I don't understand your meaning, but I wouldn't describe our Ford Sync screens as messy in any way, so it makes me think that it's all in the execution, probably, and that perhaps the benchmark touchscreen designs are American rather than German.

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
Maybe I don't understand your meaning, but I wouldn't describe our Ford Sync screens as messy in any way, so it makes me think that it's all in the execution, probably, and that perhaps the benchmark touchscreen designs are American rather than German.
I don't drive fords so I don't know the screen you speak of but I was just referring to touch screens in general. Although I did rent a new ford with touch screen. Meh. They tend to smudge and it takes your hand into a place farther away from the wheel (front of dash) instead of at your side where the knob is. In this position you have the ability to react better.

I like the knob better. It's simple. Have had several touch screens and they are not my favorite thing when it comes to driving.

Is execution of American touch screens similar to smudge free Stainless steel?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I don't drive fords so I don't know the screen you speak of but I was just referring to touch screens in general. Although I did rent a new ford with touch screen. Meh. They tend to smudge and it takes your hand into a place farther away from the wheel (front of dash) instead of at your side where the knob is. In this position you have the ability to react better.

I like the knob better. It's simple. Have had several touch screens and they are not my favorite thing when it comes to driving.

Is execution of American touch screens similar to smudge free Stainless steel?
Yeah, it definitely takes some experience to get a grip on the variables and possibilities. I generally like the Giulia control knob, too, but that’s not simply because it’s a knob, but rather because of how it works and where it’s located. Take a look at an Acura TLX, for example, and you’ll find a knob alright, but it’s not located at your side, but rather on the center dash stack. Further, it controls one of two infotainment screens, the other being touchscreen control. In that car, then, you have both knob and touchscreen, arrayed in a what I’d call a worst-case arrangement, For me, it’s not hard to imagine either knob or touch being done well, a hybrid system done well, or any system at all done poorly. Execution, execution, design, as I say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey now... Maybe I'm just used to it after 6 years, but I love the uConnect in my Charger and will be one of the things I'll miss greatly when I move over to the Giulia.
The SiriusXM Traffic alerts in the Garmin Nav is pretty great! (I'm not one to fumble around on my phone while driving, so I prefer the 8.4" dash screen)
Really disappointed the US nav uses TomTom and doesn't utilize the traffic alerts like the Europe models do :mad:.
I know AA and ACP, but again... I don't want to deal with my phone while driving. Rather have it tell me THERE IS TRAFFIC! TAKE THIS ROUTE INSTEAD! without interaction 🙃

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Hey now... Maybe I'm just used to it after 6 years, but I love the uConnect in my Charger and will be one of the things I'll miss greatly when I move over to the Giulia.
The SiriusXM Traffic alerts in the Garmin Nav is pretty great! (I'm not one to fumble around on my phone while driving, so I prefer the 8.4" dash screen)
Really disappointed the US nav uses TomTom and doesn't utilize the traffic alerts like the Europe models do :mad:.
I know AA and ACP, but again... I don't want to deal with my phone while driving. Rather have it tell me THERE IS TRAFFIC! TAKE THIS ROUTE INSTEAD! without interaction 🙃
1) TomTom does have traffic alerts if you have your digital radio service receiver turned on and are in range of a broadcast station that sends traffic alerts. It works at least in the LA basin area according to one forum member.

2) Google maps does ask if you want to switch routes due to a traffic alert. If you have AA you only need to tap the rotary knob to acknowledge with a "yes". The latest update to google maps added a lot of features, but I do not know if you can now default to accepting route changes without the acknowledgement. In any case when using AA there is no fumbling around with your phone. In fact while AA is connected your phone's user interface is disabled.

3) I do not think you have to use google maps with AA.

4) The most irritating issue with AA is poor reliability of the connection between the phone and the car. It is not obvious if this is the fault of the app, phone, or car. Some folks blame the cable, but I doubt that is the cause of the problem in most cases.

5) With AA you can get a hack called OBD2AA that allows you to display Torque application gauges on your infotainment screen. It is very nice if you want to monitor what is going on in your car.

I know nothing about Uconnect, so no comment other than the shape of the screen and control devices is not likely forced to be what is in your Charger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1) TomTom does have traffic alerts if you have your digital radio service receiver turned on and are in range of a broadcast station that sends traffic alerts. It works at least in the LA basin area according to one forum member.
1) I thought I read on this forum the US models don't support traffic alerts via satellite, nor though the TomTom app thing? If so, how do you activate it cause I'll make a note and turn it on when I get it, haha!
The way the Garmin works, its in-sync with a SiriusXM Traffic subscription so it's always there through out the US (not just one city). Great for road trips 🚗

2-5) I don't want to bother with the phone while driving... said that 2x in my first post. For me, I can't see plugging in the phone and messing with the route to work & home become a routine, seems like a pain / inconvenience especially when rushing (which I usually am). I'd rather the nav know the route and let me know if I should take the typical route or take side streets without interaction. It's just personal preference 😅. The 2014's don't have ACP, so maybe I'll change my tune when the time comes.
All I'm saying, is that would be the one thing I would really miss from what I'm used to, no worries!

1 - 20 of 310 Posts