Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The autobarn fiat/alfa franchise in Evanston IL seems to have suddenly disappeared.

This may be something more fundamental than them just giving up the franchise, as the autobarn VW franchise has been renamed (or taken over by) MidCity VW, and now uses the existing VW space and the Fiart/AR space all for selling VWs. The autobarn mazda and nissan franchises down the street seem unchanged for now. Richard Fisher (the self promoting owner of Autobarn) is such a wheeler dealer (hes even british like Mike Brewer on that show) I cant imagine a voluntary retreat or retirement from the game.

Anyone know the story?

Autobarn is my closest dealer, and I used them for service and recalls, with a favorable impression. However I never bought a giulia from them, not first time - lack of stock, and not second time due to silly prices. So maybe its partially my fault.

There has been quite a bit of churn in the Chicagoland area lately, Fields Alfa/Maser in Highland Park shut down, sending the franchise to some outfit in Glenview. Perillo has opened up downtown (taking the chicago city franchise previously held by the dubious MidCity?), now autobarn has gone, and yes its definitely gone, not on the AR dealer locator in any location.
All this instability is making me a little queasy, should I re-up a new lease next time, buy out my lease or move on? Well I've got until May 2022 to decide, but if by then I have to pass 6 BMW dealers to reach the closest alfa one, thats going to be a factor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can’t say what happened but know our lone remaining Alfa dealer in Columbus Ohio only has about 16 vehicles in inventory. They said everything is held up in Italy at the port and just got released. Makes me wonder as folks who ordered cars this year have already received them. Dealers have very little to sell so not generating much cash flow except for mtce. Not good, obviously.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Can’t say what happened but know our lone remaining Alfa dealer in Columbus Ohio only has about 16 vehicles in inventory. They said everything is held up in Italy at the port and just got released. Makes me wonder as folks who ordered cars this year have already received them. Dealers have very little to sell so not generating much cash flow except for mtce. Not good, obviously.
Hi there. Hope all is well. Did you go to the dealership today for the diagnosis of the CEL in cold starts?. What did they say?. Do you have it back or left it there?.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi there. Hope all is well. Did you go to the dealership today for the diagnosis of the CEL in cold starts?. What did they say?. Do you have it back or left it there?.
Dropped her off and drove away in rental car they provided and 20 min later got hit with a stone which chipped their windshield. 🙄. They are going to have her for a couple days and will let me k ow. Not expecting much as I don’t think Alfa has a good handle on the root cause. Then again maybe they do and it involves retrofitting our cars with port injection 😁. Folks on the Stelvio forum are having same issue. Still interested to hear if our European friends have this issue?

·
Registered
268 Posts
She’s not my daily driver but still hate leaving her there as I just got done detailing her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a few things going on with Richard Fisher, chief among which he got divorced from his wife a few years back and had to split the Autobarn empire up. So places like Autobarn Mt. Prospect VW went to his ex, and she sold those dealerships off. That is why you see some of the Autobarn dealerships get renamed - they are sold.

I do not know what happened to Autobarn Alfa Romeo, but whatever happened happened recently. It was an AR dealer up till like late spring/early summer.

If you ask me, I suspect it's a combination of low sales and poor location. Evanston isn't exactly a place you want to be selling cars out of, especially performance cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought mine at fields and was serviced at Autobarn right up to when they were closed. Hopefully Glenview Alfa is pretty decent when my next service is due (they took over the inventory at Autobarn and fields).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am out in Saint Charles, and the only two dealers I have are Schaumburg and Naperville. Last time I looked at Naperville they NEARLY lost the franchise. Schaumburg at least has been somewhat stable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no idea what happened to autobarn, but remember they had one of the Stelvios that I was considering buying.
Sad to hear they are gone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yep, web traffic for Fields and Autobarn is being diverted to Alfa Romeo of Glenview. I really hope these guys can make a go of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts