Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am close to buying a RWD Giulia Veloce which is equivalent to a Giulia Ti Sport.

It has the performance package with LSD, high performance Bixenons, 19 inch 5 hole wheels staggered, 8.8 inch screen, advanced driver's assist package, all as standard. No HK soundsystem.

My question to current Giulia owners is : knowing what you know now about your car, if you could go back in time, what things would you have done differently in buying your Giulia? Example : what features would you have added, what would you have omitted? What special instructions would you have given the dealer prior to taking ownership of your car? What regrets do you have?

I hope to learn from the mistakes of those who have gone before me in this exciting journey of Alfa Romeo Giulia ownership tbh.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The things I would definitely keep in mine would be the adaptive dampers and the LSD.

I would omit the HK sound system and not get run-flat tires. My 18" wheels are fine for me. I would think twice about getting the Active Driver Assist package again. The adaptive cruise control doesn't have a non-adaptive mode and is too intrusive for my driving style. It slows the car just as I'm getting ready to change lanes to get around a slower car. The adaptive part can't be turned off if you have the cruise control on and I never use the lane-departure feature.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My Giulia specs look identical to the one your considering. Although you don't say anything about the sun roof, I chose not to get that either.
I remain very happy with my choices and wouldn't change any of them if given the chance to do it again.

My instructions to the dealer were to NOT wash the Giulia and I took it straight to a place for protection film on the chip prone area's and ceramic coating everywhere and I'm delighted with that decision.

I also did a deal to swap the essentially unused run flats for Sport Pilot 4S and am pleased with how that worked out.

All the best with your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Giulia specs look identical to the one your considering. Although you don't say anything about the sun roof, I chose not to get that either.
I remain very happy with my choices and wouldn't change any of them if given the chance to do it again.

My instructions to the dealer were to NOT wash the Giulia and I took it straight to a place for protection film on the chip prone area's and ceramic coating everywhere and I'm delighted with that decision.

I also did a deal to swap the essentially unused run flats for Sport Pilot 4S and am pleased with how that worked out.

All the best with your decision.
I agree on this although sun-roofs are a personal preference. Will I miss it. Maybe but didn't have the option and my other car has it so on the days I want it I can use my other car. Cross path detection is amazing. Backing out of a spot it warns me well in advance. This sits low so lots of bigger cars I have to see around. I would go with dynamic plus and get it all. I think you can turn it off but it is not bothering me. If I had gotten the giulia instead of the qv i would have gotten it. We have a lot of sun and it is one less thing to get beaten on. Ceramic coating. That was a tough one very pricey but better safe than sorry and could i do it myself probably with a more forgiving product. Vinyl a must, paint match is hard to come by just make sure your installer is very very good. If I had to do again I would wrap the whole darn car and forget about it especially all the carbon stuff. I heard that they yellow. I did see a TT and the carbon was yellowed. For the vinyl there is a lot of detail in the bumper that if they are careless can muck it up. We are doing the ceramic with paint correction first. Although it is hard to tell with the metallics in the right sun you can see it. Not sure it is possible for dealers not to wash the cars or the factory for that matter but if you can terrific and would certainly give it a shot.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Different opinion

I would omit the HK sound system and not get run-flat tires. My 18" wheels are fine for me. I would think twice about getting the Active Driver Assist package again. The adaptive cruise control doesn't have a non-adaptive mode and is too intrusive for my driving style. It slows the car just as I'm getting ready to change lanes to get around a slower car. The adaptive part can't be turned off if you have the cruise control on and I never use the lane-departure feature.

I have had a different experience. I agree on the run flats. However, I enjoy the HK sound system. It is not going to blow anyone away, but the multiple additional speakers add to the sound experience. And it's only a $900 option which, on a 3-year lease, will cost you about $450.

Also, I think the adaptive cruise control is one of the best features of the car. Slowing the car just as your getting ready to change lanes means you are approaching too close to the car in front of you. That is exactly what it is designed to do. You can adjust how close or how far you are allowed to approach before it kicks in. And it will automatically accelerate the car once you change lanes and there is no longer a vehicle in its radar range. When driving on 2-lane highways, it greatly improves your driving experience because you are not constantly turning the cruise off and on every time you come up on a slower vehicle. I think it's great.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd go without the HK sound system (loaners that have the base system sound no different to me). The high performance Bixenons I wish I had (none with this option on the dealers lot); some of the driver assist features I rarely use. The sensors are nice, but very overactive, and the frontal collision sensor seems to be finicky. I'd drop the advanced driver assist package. As @90Below noted, the adaptive cruse control is more annoying than anything else.

I'd add some sort of suspension package perhaps.

And I have a sunroof, and love it.

I also do not "hate" the runflats as much as others. Although I do intend to swap them out this summer for something else.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Love the sunroof, hate the runflats (swapped them out at 400 miles), and 100% would have gotten the adaptive lights were they available. I'd also get the leather package if it had been available. I purchased mine off the lot.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would have trusted my instincts and not bought Vulcano Black (its gorgeous when clean.....but I live on a dirt road :-(

·
Registered
187 Posts
I should have gotten the Q2 as you and Alan did. But it is hard come come by.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I basically got a Veloce with the lot.
Love it all. Added a Remus Sport catback exhaust, which I couldn’t live without, and recommend really highly. You just feel and hear the car more, without being annoying to the rest of the world. The Madness Go Pedal Plus is a new “cant live without” too.

Get (or apply yourself) ceramic paint protection, and do your glass with something like Gyeon Q2 View. Cleaning and care regime is worth it.

If I had my time again I’d have red leather, but that’s about it.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
The things I would definitely keep in mine would be the adaptive dampers and the LSD.

I personally like the adaptive cruise control feature. An easy fix for the behavior you are describing is just gently push the accelerator pedal when you are approaching a car you want to pass. That switches off the cruise control and the car will not brake. After you have switched lanes you hit the resume button and off you go.

First I wanted to get a car without the sunroof, thinking that I will not need it that much and I could save some money. Because the dealers around me didn't have any without the sunroof, I decided to bite the bullet and go with the sunroof. Now I'm so happy that I did. I recently saw a car without the sunroof and it made me realize how much nicer the car looks with the all glass black roof. It also looks great from the inside, even if you don't open it that often, it lets in a ton of light.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
I personally like the adaptive cruise control feature. An easy fix for the behavior you are describing is just gently push the accelerator pedal when you are approaching a car you want to pass. That switches off the cruise control and the car will not brake. After you have switched lanes you hit the resume button and off you go.
I don't think applying pressure on the accelerator pedal switches off the ACC, but rather overrides it.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
About the cruise control:

If the front distance sensor is gunked up with snow or whatever and you have ACC, the system does not "fall back" to non-adaptive cruise control-it simply refuses to enable cruise control at all.

The following distance in ACC is adjustable via the steering wheel button on the upper inside left. Using this can help with the problem of coming up on a slower car while a slightly faster car is coming up on your outside lane. I do not know of any other reason to "get close" to a slower car on the highway while driving with cruise control. If you are weaving between slower cars you should not have cruise control enabled.

I spent some time playing with Giulia last night and discovered that the accelerator pedal does have a "click" at about 95% of max (I read the value from the ECU using my multiecuscan setup). The click is fairly stiff and not too hard to feel with a shod foot. If you push past this click while cruise control is active, the cruise control will be deactivated.

This is the first car I have owned that lacks a dedicated cruise control cancel button. It can be turned off, but then resume no longer works. A brake tap disabled the CC, but then the brakes have been tapped causing some energy loss and a flash of the brake lights.

Anyway back to the OPs question: I might consider getting the cheapest wheels available so that I am wasting as little money as possible changing them out. The 19" 5 holes look nice but 19" is too large for winter and the 5 hole wheels are too heavy for optimal spirited summer driving.

Sunroofs are heavy, don't give me any function that I need, take up headroom, and are failure prone (see thread about the one that exploded on the freeway and cost $7000 to repair largely due to damage to the rear of the car from flying glass). My hearing is already horrible (age related deterioration), so money spent on an audio upgrade is a waste, YMMV.

I'm not sure I would go with the tri-coat paint again. It is pricey, difficult to repair, and the plastic parts use a different (more flexible) paint such that the color doesn't quite match (why not paint the whole car with the more flexible paint?).

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the first car I have owned that lacks a dedicated cruise control cancel button. It can be turned off, but then resume no longer works. A brake tap disabled the CC, but then the brakes have been tapped causing some energy loss and a flash of the brake lights.
Oh? On my car, pressing the cruise control button once cancels it, then pressing it again turns it off. Pressing the Resume button after cancelling works as expected.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh? On my car, pressing the cruise control button once cancels it, then pressing it again turns it off. Pressing the Resume button after cancelling works as expected.
Same on mine.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
You are right! I guess I fumbled it the first time I tried this and assumed that was the behavior.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I have a Q2 Ti sport with all the options you mention as well as sunroof and HK sound. The HK sound is not worth the money but I have had loaners without it and I do find the difference in sound quality notable. I care about sound so despite the short comings of the HK system I would get it again. I love the sunroof and don't regret getting it. I personally feel like I have MORE headroom with the sunroof. Perhaps its the way the sunroof is set into the roof of the car and how it matches with my height / body shape or perhaps its the openness of the all glass roof. I've had a Ti without LSD and the offset tires and it does not drive as well as with those options. I think the Q2 with LSD is the best driving car I've ever owned.

Reactions: natnut

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Ti Sport with the upgraded leather package. It’s In for the T57 software flash, and they put me in a sport loaner with the basic interior. The difference in look and feel is huge. I’m so glad I have the leather dash option. Much richer and upscale looking overall, including the matte finish wood trip. I almost pulled the trigger on a different car that didn’t have this option, but had the HK (same price option). 100 out of 100 times I would add the leather upper option.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The only thing I'd change next time around is that I'd get one in Misano Blue. Just love that color; very similar to my favorite Bimmer color Estoril Blue. I'd give up the red interior, which I very much love. I'm hoping someday to get a 350HP version in Misano Blue. My dream 4 cyl would be the 350HP version, Misano Blue over Crema, Sport/Performance/Leather (as of now of course, you can't get Crema with the Sport package).

Given the opportunity I'd get a Q2, but that's not enough to make me pass on the right car (as it didn't the first time).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts