Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

What valve?

• BOV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diverter

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
136 Posts
I replaced the stock diverter valve with Go Fast Bits DV+.

It helps to maintain boost between shifts and when you momentarily lift off the throttle. It does improve driveabliity a bit by making shifts feel crisper and making the car feel like it has more pep.

Most, if not all, of the vendors who participate in this forum carry it.

As for Blow Off Valves, not my thing. They make the car sound like an intubated COVID patient who is on his last legs.

· Registered
21 Posts
It helps to maintain boost between shifts and when you momentarily lift off the throttle.
"A blowoff valve (also called dump valve or compressor bypass valve) is a pressure release system present in most petrol turbocharged engines. Blowoff valves are used to reduce pressure in the intake system as the throttle is closed, thus preventing compressor surge."

· Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
136 Posts
I was referring to the diverter valve. See the very top sentence. The stock diverter valve opens wide and dumps all of the boost instantly, the DV+ opens in stages and holds some boost for a short period of time, maintaining some boost for the time it takes to shift.

Diverter Valves and Blow Off Valves do the same thing, in that they dump excess boost pressure. The difference is that Diverter Valves dump excess pressure back to the turbo inlet, while Blow Off Valves dump directly to atmosphere.

· Registered
21 Posts
The stock diverter valve opens wide and dumps all of the boost instantly
That's how it should work to avoid surging.
It has many names but we are talking about the same thing.
"A blowoff valve is designed to release pressure in the intake system when the throttle is closed. A "recirculating" type blowoff valve release the pressurised air back into the non-pressurized section of the intake (i.e. upstream of the turbocharger), while an "atmospheric venting" type blowoff valve dumps the air directly into the atmosphere."
If you don't believe it, here is an official info from Bosch:
"Opening the dump valve aims a fast reduction of the critical compression ratio in order to avoid surging." And that's for 4.0TFSI.

P.S. I didn't wanna be impolite but I believe keeping it closed is not safe for the turbocharger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts