Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! Newbie here. About to make the jump from Audi to a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport RWD. I've got a few choices, one FULLY loaded to the brim with features, one basically just with Sport Seats, 3D Nav, and that's about it. I'm wondering if any pros with experience can offer their advice as to what packages I will miss or definitely need to fully enjoy the Ti Sport. I've heard some people say the Performance Package is vital, and some people say if I'm mostly city driving I won't miss it, the few times I get out on the canyons (I live in LA area)

But I can't seem to find really good advice as to Driver Assist, Active Suspension... those types of deals. Like I said, I'm mostly a city driver, occasional get out on highways that aren't clogged, maybe a few times a year get on a road where I could really rip.

Thank you all so much (for what I assume will be amazing advice)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you have the use for Cruise control? Road trips maybe? Or just going with the flow in LA freeway/highway traffic? The adaptive cruise control with stop works very well, IMO, and is the only reason I got both drivers assist packages.

I also got the Performance Package with LSD and Adaptive Suspension and love it, even in my AWD. For a RWD for max traction with minimal TC and ESC kicking in I would think the LSD would be a must have.

The leather package is also a nice upgrade but not really a "must have". Just takes the interior up several notches.

Reactions: Greg Stidsen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I don't think I've ever used cruise control in my life. But I've never had adaptive, so old school cruise control isn't much help on traffic roads. Or even when they're clear, roads with occasional maniac LA drivers on them. The Performance Package does seem like a definite perk though.

The leather package on a Sport would be what comes on a Tusso, right? I do really like that, hard to find cars on lots with that add, though, especially right now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I ordered a Ti Sport in March and haven’t received it quite yet. I wish I had ponied up for the leather package though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Leather Package was a must have for me as well as the Performance Package. Brings the interior up to the level of the rest of the car. You're right though it's tough to find the leather and performance packs on the same car. Add a black & tan/red interior to the mix and..........well let's just say it took me a year to find a combination of options I was happy with.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I am picking up my TI sport tomorrow, and I suddenly had a ton of options as transportation was provided. What I looked at was the the 19" 5-hole wheels, sport interior, color combinations, and must-have items.

I like pretty much as the options that Alfa offers, but I had to have a sunroof, yellow calipers, the sport seats and paddle shifters. Everything else was up for discussion. I like the leather package, but it is hard to find.

I ended up with a Misano blue/black interior/yellow calipers Giulia with navigation, 19" dark 5-hole wheels, sunroof and the performance package. I think I like the last option as that will make the car feel as sporty as possible on a TI level.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The Leather Pkg was a big one for me, and since I didn’t get it, I’d now say it is a must-have, in that it’s the one thing I really wish I had...every time I get in the car.

I have both active safety packages but I don’t know that I’d miss those. Blind spot monitoring is weak and/or oddly implemented and doesn’t seem to be there when I want for it, the forward collision avoidance piece is intrusive and activates mostly when I know exactly what I’m doing, and the adaptive cruise maintains too great a distances even on the lowest distance setting, so I’m constantly overriding it make my desire to pass known. Maybe in a state where left lane banditry isn’t so rampant and unapologetic as it is here the adaptive cruise might be worth something...

Dual pane sunroof is definitely rich feeling and if not a must-have, is very, very high on the list.

8.8” display is also very nice, even though the system is of marginal functionality. I’m calling it a must-have since you look at it every trip.

Bi Xenon lamps, while excellent, could be an easy pass for a city driver since the speeds and darkess to really appreciate them doesn’t exist in that environment.

HK premium sound iI can’t really speak to as I’ve not listened to the base system, but I can say the HK system is unimpressive, aside from the silver front door grills which are sharp.

I can’t recall if Ti Sport includes the 19” wheels, but those were must-haves for me.

So leather, 19” wheels, and sunroof are the big ones IMO. Oh, and making sure the vehicle has Carplay.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Ti Q2 with performance, sport, driver assist and 19” five hole. Like all thise options. Like the HK stereo uograde. Did not order my car so was not able to select leather dash. Would have been worth the extra $$.
Did not want the sunroof or AWD. I also live in LA. Starting to see more Giulia’s around WLA.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Paddles at the wheel (sport or performance package) are a must for me.
In your situation, in the crowded LA traffic, I think the dynamic driver assistant package (front collision warning, adaptive cruise control, cross traffic, blind spot...) would bring the most benefit for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks everybody! Sounds like performance package is a definite. HK mayyyyybe. Leather package would be great but hard to order.

On the sunroof, I've read some places that that can cut height inside that makes it difficult for some drivers (I'm 6'2" ish) Has anyone found that to be true? I'm going to sit in one, obviously, I was just curious. Really appreciate the insight!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Awesome! Thanks everybody! Sounds like performance package is a definite. HK mayyyyybe. Leather package would be great but hard to order.

On the sunroof, I've read some places that that can cut height inside that makes it difficult for some drivers (I'm 6'2" ish) Has anyone found that to be true? I'm going to sit in one, obviously, I was just curious. Really appreciate the insight!
I'm 6'2" and 220lbs, and I'm happy with the adjustment range in the sport seats (although I would like some more adjustability on the lower seat side bolsters), I don't find head clearance an issue to the sun roof at all. I have found the sport seats a little uncomfortable on long drives (3+ hours). Whenever we go on trips, I normally would wait in the car whenever my wife needed to make a rest stop... now with the Alfa's sport seats, I have to get out and stretch / walk around.

On our '18 Giulia Ti Sport AWD, the one package I regret not getting was the performance pack for the adaptive suspension. Our summer wheel/tire combo are the 19" 5 holes with the OE runflat Pirellis, but the winter combo are a set of aftermarket 18" wheels with Hakkapeliitta snow tires. I did this specifically because I wanted a bit more tire sidewall for winter road conditions (and the inevitable spring-time pot holes). The ride quality is definitely better with the 18" tires than the 19". And I think a lot of that is the 18" tires sidewall is able to do a better job absorbing small road irregularities, that you end up feeling with the 19" tires. The adaptive suspension probably helps here with ride comfort with the 19" wheels... but it could also be down to the stiffer sidewall of the runflats on the 19" size.

I am impressed with the high performance 35W headlamps package we opted for. We live in a pretty rural area, so road illumination is a big deal on country back roads, especially in the "dark" months of winter. That package was well worth the extra $700 it cost.

·
Registered
443 Posts

I'm also 6'2" and I don't have any headroom issues either with the sunroof.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts

Yes, it cuts off space, but I AM 6'8" and still want it, and I still fit, although snug.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
For L.A., the sunroof is a take it or leave it kind of deal. I have a fully loaded Ti Lusso. The sunroof looks great from the outside, but it actually only opens up maybe a foot? The privacy cover is also semi-translucent, which can let heat in. Since you live in L.A. with it's killer summers, the all-black glass sunroof is going to get very hot. If it was me and I was ordering the car, I'd skip the sunroof. Not having the sunroof also has a performance advantage as it removes the weight of all that. That weight is also in the worst possible place for performance which is the top of the car.

For performance, get the Ti Performance package and the High Performance Bi-Xenon headlights. The Ti Sport already has all the aero pieces. If you're ordering it, the leather interior package is well worth it; the smell of the Italian leather alone is worth it, not to mention the beauty it adds to the interior.

I believe the sport package includes 19" wheels. In my opinion which I know is in the minority, I think the car looks best with 18" wheels. I'm actually running 17" light-weight wheels I bought aftermarket for the weight reduction. They look great, although the 18's would look better if that's a critical issue for you. The 17's I bought weigh 6.5 lbs less each than the factory 18's, which is a huge amount of weight to remove in a critical area. This improves the car's acceleration, braking and cornering. It also improves the ride because of the increase in tire sidewall. They do come in 18" size, however the 18's were 2 lbs heavier which is why I chose the 17's, but visually I'll acknowledge the 18's would look better. I chose performance since I don't see the wheels when I'm driving. The other advantage of 17's or 18's compared to the 19's, besides more tire sidewall and lighter weight, is the tires are cheaper.

The HK sound system is okay. Some think it isn't compared to whatever they think is better, but I think it sounds okay. I don't listen to it much though. Would I have ordered it? Probably not. My car was one they had on the lot, so it came with it.

The driver assist package(s) I think are worth it for a couple of reasons. One, they do add safety features which can be beneficial, and Two, insurance. Your insurance will be cheaper if you have the safety packages.

The cost of the sunroof and HK sound system is almost $2,500. By not getting those options, you could spend that money on getting Eurocompulsion's V2 intake and Phase 1 tune which will do MUCH more for you than the sunroof or the HK system. The intake and tune combined are less than $2,000 and transform the car's performance like magic. You can add an aftermarket exhaust if you don't mind the extra noise, and gain a bit more performance (maybe another 10 hp), but those will run you anywhere from $1k-$3k depending on which one you get.

The Giulia is an amazing car; you'll love it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have found the sport seats a little uncomfortable on long drives (3+ hours). Whenever we go on trips, I normally would wait in the car whenever my wife needed to make a rest stop... now with the Alfa's sport seats, I have to get out and stretch / walk around.

This was my concern. I loved everything about the sport package except the seats. Don't get me wrong the sport seats are awesome and if I only drove back and forth to work they'd be fine but I need room to change position on long trips and they were just too limiting for my taste.

There was originally supposed to be a "Performance Plus Package" with adaptive suspension, LSD, and all sport options except sport seats and 18" meat slicers in place of the 5-holes, but they pulled it at launch. I was not happy. Had my car optioned and ready to place an order when they dropped that bomb on me. Took me another year to find a car on the lot I was happy with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, interesting points about the seats. The Lusso seats ARE different right? Not as tight on the bolster, and they do tilt? That might make me lean more Lusso too. Anybody experienced the difference in those seats over longer drives? Being sore on a daily basis would be kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 220lbs, and I'm happy with the adjustment range in the sport seats (although I would like some more adjustability on the lower seat side bolsters), I don't find head clearance an issue to the sun roof at all. I have found the sport seats a little uncomfortable on long drives (3+ hours). Whenever we go on trips, I normally would wait in the car whenever my wife needed to make a rest stop... now with the Alfa's sport seats, I have to get out and stretch / walk around.
This was my concern. I loved everything about the sport package except the seats. Don't get me wrong the sport seats are awesome and if I only drove back and forth to work they'd be fine but I need room to change position on long trips and they were just too limiting for my taste.
I love the seats for short and energetic drives but also find myself needing to get up and stretch after ~3 hours on the highway. Rationalizing, maybe that's a good thing?

On our '18 Giulia Ti Sport AWD, the one package I regret not getting was the performance pack for the adaptive suspension. Our summer wheel/tire combo are the 19" 5 holes with the OE runflat Pirellis, but the winter combo are a set of aftermarket 18" wheels with Hakkapeliitta snow tires. I did this specifically because I wanted a bit more tire sidewall for winter road conditions (and the inevitable spring-time pot holes). The ride quality is definitely better with the 18" tires than the 19". And I think a lot of that is the 18" tires sidewall is able to do a better job absorbing small road irregularities, that you end up feeling with the 19" tires. The adaptive suspension probably helps here with ride comfort with the 19" wheels... but it could also be down to the stiffer sidewall of the runflats on the 19" size.
I just switched back to the 19" wheels, and the ride difference seems pretty subtle. For me it was more about survivability, though our roads are crap year-round.

I am impressed with the high performance 35W headlamps package we opted for. We live in a pretty rural area, so road illumination is a big deal on country back roads, especially in the "dark" months of winter. That package was well worth the extra $700 it cost.
Wish I could've had those but chalked it up to getting mine early. I'd rate the base headlamps as adequate for suburban driving. I do like the turning feature.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have Lusso seats. I found the sports seat way to tight during test drives. I have done long drives with the lusso leather seat and been very comfortable. I recommend the Lusso seats.

I also highly recommend both Driver assist package. Mainly for the auto high beams and the adaptive cruise control. Both are great features.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Find one with performance pack and the best bargain option of all time—staggered summer tires. The car becomes a true sports sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again, all! Ending up pulling the trigger on a Ti Sport with performance and drivers asst, with the sport seats (no leather packages available)

Holy Bajoley. Test drives really don't do it justice. It is an insanely fun experience in every way.

The Sport Seats were a little tight in bumper to bumper traffic on the way home, but later that night they seemed to have already loosened up a bit. I give em an elbow each time I get in, I do think they will get just right soon.

But man, for anyone reading this who is on the fence. It's all that is described and more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts