Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Love it, sometimes playing the long game (by choice or by force) ends up working out! Happy you got your hands on one eventually...

· Registered
2020 Giulia RWD 280HP
24 Posts
I had neighbors that always owned Alfa's, most of them heavily tuned by Savali. You could hear them arriving before seeing them, the sound was amazing. I also have memories of the 155 at a DTM race, always knew I wanted to drive Alfa's myself when I grew up 😄

· Registered
2019 Ti Sport Q2
80 Posts
Im the type of person who is always switching vehicles. I came across a low mileage used Giulia so I decided to trade my CT5 in on it and give it a go. Things that have surprised me about the car so far: its a lot quicker than I initially thought it would be, the transmission is wonderful, the sport seats really fit my frame well, and mine is surprisingly well built.

· Registered
423 Posts
I drove by the dealer on numerous occasions, but this one day when I was bored and just for giggles I decided to drive through the car lot. A salesperson came out and offered to let me take a Giulia out with no real expectations to purchase, as I told him I was perfectly happy with my then present vehicle and wasn't interested in trading up. Well, that's all she wrote and the rest is kind of history. ;)

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
10,003 Posts
She’s a good writer, @SirRog.

• Haha
Reactions: SirRog

· Registered
365 Posts
I was in my 20s when I had to buy my first car — up to then I’d been bumming off the family’s cars. I was depressed because I didn’t want an econobox yet my very limited budget wouldn’t go very far. By coincidence (or divine providence) one of the motoring mags currently ran an article about “Everything you need to know about buying and running a used Fiat X1/9.” Mind you, just looking at an X1/9 had always given me a woody, but I was scared by everything “they” said about Fiats. One of the expert wrenches cited in the article was, in fact, five miles from where I lived. Long story somewhat less long, I bought one of his customer’s X1/9s for $850 (a very Fiat-y amount). For many years, that little go-cart put a smile on my face with its directness of handling and the Lampredi-sourced symphony just behind my head.

Around 1990 I had a continuing need to transport boxes of computer equipment as part of my job and the X1/9 came up short in cargo carrying, so something had to give. I was hopelessly in love with Italian cars by then, so figured I’d move up to a GTV-6. Until I found the rear cargo area was big enough to hold a briefcase but not much more. How about a Milano? Still very long story only minutely shorter, I flew across country to buy a 1987 Milano Platinum. When Alfa pulled out of the U.S. I told myself I’d keep my Milano until I could replace it with a new Alfa.

Now we’re up to 2017 and the Giulia’s introduction. Because circumstances, I had to wait until 2020. Figuring the Giulia was peak ICE and I’d likely keep it forever, I factory-ordered my unicorn specification and waited 4 months for delivery. I just now passed two years of ownership and I still gaze at the car in wonder that it’s mine.

PS: I journaled my ordering and delivery experience in the dealer/purchasing forum, should you be an insomniac in need of relief.

· Registered
10,003 Posts
I was in my 20s when I had to buy my first car — up to then I’d been bumming off the family’s cars. I was depressed because I didn’t want an econobox yet my very limited budget wouldn’t go very far. By coincidence (or divine providence) one of the motoring mags currently ran an article about “Everything you need to know about buying and running a used Fiat X1/9.” Mind you, just looking at an X1/9 had always given me a woody, but I was scared by everything “they” said about Fiats. One of the expert wrenches cited in the article was, in fact, five miles from where I lived. Long story somewhat less long, I bought one of his customer’s X1/9s for $850 (a very Fiat-y amount). For many years, that little go-cart put a smile on my face with its directness of handling and the Lampredi-sourced symphony just behind my head.

Around 1990 I had a continuing need to transport boxes of computer equipment as part of my job and the X1/9 came up short in cargo carrying, so something had to give. I was hopelessly in love with Italian cars by then, so figured I’d move up to a GTV-6. Until I found the rear cargo area was big enough to hold a briefcase but not much more. How about a Milano? Still very long story only minutely shorter, I flew across country to buy a 1987 Milano Platinum. When Alfa pulled out of the U.S. I told myself I’d keep my Milano until I could replace it with a new Alfa.

Now we’re up to 2017 and the Giulia’s introduction. Because circumstances, I had to wait until 2020. Figuring the Giulia was peak ICE and I’d likely keep it forever, I factory-ordered my unicorn specification and waited 4 months for delivery. I just now passed two years of ownership and I still gaze at the car in wonder that it’s mine.

PS: I journaled my ordering and delivery experience in the dealer/purchasing forum, should you be an insomniac in need of relief.
What is your unicorn spec? I assume my silverstone/red interior/bright five-hole/no sunroof/Ti Sport/Q4/active suspension/leather dash & doors/HK is a rare combination.

· Registered
365 Posts
What is your unicorn spec?
Montecarlo Blue —NLA (no longer available)
Bright 5-hole wheels —NLA
Yellow calipers —NLA
Saddle/brown interior —NLA
Active suspension on a 2.0L —NLA

(“Estrema” let‘s-empty-the-warehouse edition notwithstanding)

· Registered
11 Posts
My main ride is a 2017 Charger Hellcat (traded in a 2012 Charger Super Bee for it, back in February 2017). My lease expired on my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (my "other" car at the time...I loved it), and I wasn't sure what direction I would go in at first.

I knew I wanted something with a completely different feel than the Hellcat...and it needed to have AWD. I happened upon the Giulias and decided that was absolutely be the way to go...especially since I'd had my fair share of experience with 4-banger turbo engines (2001 New Beetle, 2004 PT Cruiser GT, and a 2009 HHR SS). So I bought a 2019 Giulia Ti Sport Carbon Competizione Red, and just last week (on NYE, in fact), traded that in for a 2023 Giulia Estrema Alfa Rosso (leasing this time around). I made the swap mostly for the improved performance bits, upgraded interior (that center console is much better), and a warranty "reset"...the warranty on the 2019 was due to expire this month.

I wanted something with a vastly contrasting feel to the Hellcat and both of my Giulias have absolutely scratched that itch.

If anything surprises me, I'd say it's some of the general "quirkiness" of my first Giulia...like how I found out the hard way if you go to remote-start your Alfa Giulia and it auto-shuts down if the gas is low, the radio will just keep on runnin' until the battery is drained...oh, and then the battery is located in the trunk, which means ya gotta hope your car is unlocked (fortunately mine was), and then take down the backseat and pop the trunk from the inside...could've done without that, heh heh. The non-touchscreen infotainment system was maddening at times; I like the proper touchscreen in my 2023 much MUCH better. Wish the carbon fiber spears on the side skirts from my Ti Sport were on my Estrema. But the Giulias are GREAT fun to drive, no question. There's a reason I signed up for another 3.5 years, after having already put in 4.

· Registered
7 Posts
Drove a Giulia when it first came out. Was coming from a 5 series at that point, never having understood what a proper handling car meant. Brushed it off given the interior materials weren't on par with the BMW.

Had a growing up phase over the 5 years that followed. Started getting into BMWs more geared towards handling and moving away from "luxury". Enjoyed two different ZHPs from there, a F36 in rear wheel drive config with sport suspension, and went back to 3 series platform.

Drove a Q2 and Q4 last year. Was mind blown. What a difference in experience now having understood mechanics of what makes a great car platform, and how to translate it onto the road. The Giulia reminded me of experiences driving cars like Acura NSX and Porsche 911, and most importantly for me what I had been seeking in a modern car was found - a smaller engine car focused on handling and essentially a modern day ZHP (discounting going to full M/AMG - I don't track, but take my cars to the canyons, hence that power isn't needed).

Finally scooped up a Q2 with LSD and staggered tires couple weeks ago; can't wait for Chicagoland winter to end so I can take it on roadtrips :) Tail of the Dragon and roads in Shenandoah are first two on the list.

Grateful for the growth phase here above all having disconnected from the idea of buying a luxury car into buying a car for the experience. And a big thanks to this community; many hours of reading up this forum helped make the jump and I'm very glad I did.

· Registered
2019 giulia ti sport Q4. 2006 outback 3.0 3.0 VDC
30 Posts
First of all - great thread !!!
Growing up in Tel Aviv, i
Saw a few Alfa Sud that always impressed me ...
When I was in the market 2 years ago, I thought I would end up with a Lexus or Acura TLX...Until...I test drove a Giulia .the end !

· Registered
10,003 Posts
From Tel Aviv to NH sounds like quite a trip, @Tal. I lived in Hanover and can’t think of many similarities between the two.

· Registered
2018 Q2 squadra
10 Posts
When I was a kid my father had an Alfa Sud and he used to rave about the handling. Unfortunately engine caught fire (some fuel tube failure i think) so I never got to drive it.

As a first car was looking at 147 but was a bit over budget. Later on even though 159 looked great, was not fascinated about engines/weight (and 3.2 was again too expensive).

When Giulia came out I knew i would get one at some point. So when started looking for a RWD sedan, I almost did not give me a choice to look for something else. Was looking at other cars online but only test drove Giulia/ Tesla and MX5 :)

Fast forward to last September I got me a squadra Q2 and have beed extremely satisfied (apart from battery issues :) guess need to buy a tender).

· Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,713 Posts
When I was a kid my father had an Alfa Sud and he used to rave about the handling. Unfortunately engine caught fire (some fuel tube failure i think) so I never got to drive it.

As a first car was looking at 147 but was a bit over budget. Later on even though 159 looked great, was not fascinated about engines/weight (and 3.2 was again too expensive).

When Giulia came out I knew i would get one at some point. So when started looking for a RWD sedan, I almost did not give me a choice to look for something else. Was looking at other cars online but only test drove Giulia/ Tesla and MX5 :)

Fast forward to last September I got me a squadra Q2 and have beed extremely satisfied (apart from battery issues :) guess need to buy a tender).
Or a new battery since you have an my18. Ask me how I know 😂

· Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,713 Posts
well the alfa dealer recently said the battery is fine but who knows. They were supposed to charge it but car stayed there for a few hours. Have another appointment with them, let's see if they charge it this time.
After new battery, new dealer should be next on your list.

I half joke but I have 6 dealers by me and go to the one furthest away because they are the best. If you have that luxury, I would try elsewhere.

· Registered
2022 Giulia Veloce | 997
29 Posts
Always had a desire to own an Italian car and I keep toying with restoring a classic GTV at some point, but for now I need something more suitable for a daily driver. These came out when I had my E39 M5 and loved the way they looked, but wasn't in the market then.

I convinced my brother to test drive one in 2018 as an excuse for me to check it out too and wasn't a fan of the infotainment, and the brakes seemed very jerky according to him. Then when the refresh came out, I started thinking about them again but the need was never there until recently when I decided to replace my ND2 Miata with something larger.

Still wished they came in manuals (this is only my 3rd auto out of 15 cars), but there are also times when I'm enjoying not having to deal with a heavy clutch while sitting in traffic.

I'm really enjoying the torque and refinement (bought it new). I always prefer having something that's not common and like the fact that most people don't know what it is.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts