Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I saw a video about the car and instantly loved it. At the time the price was too high though. I kept working and waiting and found a deal I could do.

What has surprised me the most about the car is first of all I still love it now as much as I did when I bought it. But let's be honest, that engine is incredible. Just the fact there is no turbo wheezing at redline is awesome. It just pulls and the ride doesn't indicate how fast you are going.
Beautifully smooth drive; passengers often can’t believe the speed we’re at.

And absolutely, that love doesn’t seem to escape many Giulia drivers. Something keeps us in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I actually never test drove my Giulia. In fact - until I drove it off the lot after signing the paperwork, I'd never driven a Giulia at all. o_O
To answer the actual question . . . I arrived at the Giulia as most others seemed to have arrived at it. I was looking for a fun-to-drive compact sports sedan that I didn't see all the time. I had owned both a Kia Stinger and an Audi S6 in the recent past, and while both were great cars in their own right, they're really Autobahn cruisers and a bit too big to be fun in the curves. The new G20 3-series is much improved over the previous F30, but around here it seems like three of them would drive by in the time it takes me to blink. The same could be said about the Audi A4, although to a slightly lesser degree. So I went with the Giulia.

Also, from a "historical" perspective, prior to getting the Giulia I'd owned cars from Sweden, Germany, Britain, Japan, and Korea, but I'd never owned an Italian car. So that was also a consideration for me.

Interestingly, not much has surprised me about this car. While I didn't test drive one before leasing mine, I did do extensive reading on the car, and the number of Giulia YouTube videos I watched is astounding, so I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into. The main thing I'm surprised with is how satisfied I am with it. The Giulia is my fifth car in the past 1.5 years. After trading in my 987.2 Cayman I just couldn't find something that I felt fit my personality and had a soul. The Giulia does both and more. Relatedly, I'm also somewhat surprised at how satisfied I am with having the 2.0T engine. While I'd love a slightly more powerful version (330-350hp), I can't imagine needing the 500+hp of the QV.

All of this said, I may end up switching over to a Stelvio when my lease on the Giulia is up. While I absolutely love the Giulia, it does leave me a bit wanting in the space department. I have a number of hobbies, and it's hard for me to fit my gear for all of them in the trunk of the Giulia at once. As it is, my relatively small carry golf bag barely fits by itself. If Alfa ever made a Giulia wagon available in the US I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but unfortunately the Stelvio is all there is. Right now I'm blessed to have an awesome old BMW E61 530xi that can carry my mountain biking and camping gear, so on days when I plan on doing either or both of those, I can take it. But it'd be nice if I had a single car to do it all.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Also, from a "historical" perspective, prior to getting the Giulia I'd owned cars from Sweden, Germany, Britain, Japan, and Korea, but I'd never owned an Italian car. So that was also a consideration for me.
Love this one, first time someone in the thread mentions it; I've been a bit more boring in my garage...it's been 90% domestic-US (i.e., Chevrolet, Pontiac, Jeep, etc.) with the occasional interest in Tesla v. Audi (the 10%). The pathway to the Giulia was basically Tesla (much more my wife pushing than honest interest) v. Audi v. Alfa Romeo and I went Italian...no regrets.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
As is often mentioned here, I assumed it was at a much higher price point.
Agreed here as well, I was looking at some lower and higher price points for Audi and Tesla, without necessarily thinking I could afford an Alfa Romeo. Was shocked when I actually did the homework and realized there were some solid dealership deals around that made it more than feasible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first car was a 1978 Saab 99L and that began my love affair with quirky European cars. I subsequently owned a 900S, 9000 Aero, 9-5 Aero, and (2) Sonetts. My first true sports car was a Lotus Elise which I traded in for a 2012 BRZ Limited so I could have only one car and it would be an everyday driver. Along came grandkids and a bunch of safety features that weren't available in '12. An Alfa dealership opened up a mile away and they let me take one home for the weekend. All the safety features, all-wheel drive, four seats and more space for my hockey equipment were important, but the driving experience was what sealed the deal for me. It has been a dream car and I do like the fact that not everyone has one. BTW, I will be in Italy again next year and does anyone know if they have started giving tours of the Cassino assembly facility?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
218 Posts
Turns out the Lion King’s circle of life also applies to automobiles. I learned to drive in 1969 on my dad’s 1965 Giulia Sprint GT. My first car was a Giulia Super 1300. So fast forward 60 years and my last car is now my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport. So for me, Alfa is in my DNA. The biggest and best surprise with the Ti Sport is all the things available for customization today. I have two pages of add-ons and I have yet to touch the mechanicals. The other thing which came as no surprise to me is the top notch quality and reliability. No problems at all. I have a great Alfa dealer here in Pensacola which makes all the difference in the world. Get to know your dealer and work together as a team.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Veloce, Vesuvio/Tan
2 Posts
Why did I buy it? Because it is soooo beautiful, inside and out, and so exciting to drive. After four years, I still look forward to the smallest errand so I have an excuse to drive it. And I still go out and just gaze at it; pathetic, eh? Biggest surprise? That the motoring press doesn't rave about them, and that they don't sell better.

I have admired Alfa since my dad had a 164 V6 when I was in my early 20s- a special demonstrator model with an utterly beautiful interior in shades of pale and dark grey suede and leather. The first car I bought for myself was a V6 75, and I have driven nothing but Alfas ever since - a string of used V6 models (164, 166, 159 x 2), all long-term. No trouble with any of them - reliable, beautiful and great to drive.

I test drove the Giulia and was immediately smitten - a different world from the 159 I had a the time. I didn't really have the money but an elderly neighbour, in his 80s with a fine BMW, insisted that I should get it while I was still young enough (59) to enjoy driving it hard. And since all the family loved it, I ordered a new grey Veloce with tan leather, only the second new car I have had in my life. We then, unexpectedly, emigrated to Australia and I brought it out here to Brisbane, where it is extremely rare - I have only ever seen a couple of others.

It attracts warm and friendly comment, not boy-racer competitiveness. My favourite quote came from a guy in a beautiful, expensive-looking BMW who wound down his window and said 'That really is the most beautiful car - just breath-taking'. And a friend who runs Astons drove it and said 'Blimey, that's quick'.

I agree with earlier comments that Alfa should just persuade people to test-drive them, and they will be hooked. I don't understand why they aren't much more popular (but I do enjoy the exclusivity!)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Timeless design and driving one — that was it. Three years ago on August 2. Now I’m 6 in.
What a great trajectory of Alfa's in your signature, can imagine how impressive that garage looks!

Reactions: 614

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
"Pathetic"? If so then just about everybody here is pathetic including yours truly.
I'll happily be first in line for that descriptor! Every time! Haha

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I agree with earlier comments that Alfa should just persuade people to test-drive them, and they will be hooked. I don't understand why they aren't much more popular (but I do enjoy the exclusivity!)
It's a fun conundrum, we love the exclusivity but it's hard to make sense of the fact they're actually exclusive. Alfa marketing seems to be the simplest answer.

Which I'm fine with, it's not necessarily designed for the populus; therefore should not be marketed as such. But there's no doubt that their competitors within the sedan class (BMW, AUDI, etc.) absolutely do not live by the same rule.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Turns out the Lion King’s circle of life also applies to automobiles. I learned to drive in 1969 on my dad’s 1965 Giulia Sprint GT. My first car was a Giulia Super 1300. So fast forward 60 years and my last car is now my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport. So for me, Alfa is in my DNA. The biggest and best surprise with the Ti Sport is all the things available for customization today. I have two pages of add-ons and I have yet to touch the mechanicals. The other thing which came as no surprise to me is the top notch quality and reliability. No problems at all. I have a great Alfa dealer here in Pensacola which makes all the difference in the world. Get to know your dealer and work together as a team.
Great story!

And great point on the dealer note.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Q2 (Alfa White)
148 Posts
My dad was a hot Rodder...he had a 65 Impala and later a 64 Falcon Sprint 2dr. But in the late 70s here in the states cars got bloated and slow...and these new Japanese cars came in were sleek and hi revving...so I became a huge JDM fan. You all know alfa's reputation here in the States, but that didn't stop me from wanting a Spider/Graduate...

I had started hearing rumors that alfa was returning to the US in a big way but largely ignored the signs until the QV was announced in 2015 and I got to see it. At that point, I knew I had to have one. Around 2017, I lived in an Apt and to get to my garage, I had to go in an alleyway behind a church, various houses and other apt buildings and someone back there owned a White Giulia Lusso. So every day when I came home I'd see it. I told my wife I was going to get one and she said she didn't like it. I had bought my Lancer GTS in 2009 and while it still looked and drove like new, it was getting long in the tooth...but I could never seem to part with it. Then last year, 2021, I was rear ended and the Lancer was totaled. Ins gave me way more than I thought I would get for her and so I joined here and for months read as much as I could about the Giulia and potential issues....then I bought a 2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q2.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts