Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been a charger guy for a while but with the increasing thefts around chicago, I wanted something powerful, beautiful, but that could still pass under the radar of high performance if someone doesn’t know what exactly they’re looking at. And it doesn’t hurt that the QV is amazing to drive

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
My two favorite cars have both been Alfas- First, a 1981 GTV6 that was sublime. -That marvelous V6, 50/50 weight distribution, (thanks to rear transaxle), the rear inboard brakes, compact design by Giugiaro (sp) 80k miles daily driver through brutal Chicago winters and auto crossing with AROC at Blackhawk Farms racetrack…And now my Q4 TI Giulia in Alfa Rosso with a tan interior and the amazing 2.0 liter 4 with it’s almost 300hp and great sound thanks to an aftermarket Sprint Race exhaust…Both cars have that Italian soul that makes them so about the driver with great style. As the GTV6 was from the time when things were mechanically direct and simpler with a manual tranny, I would give it the first spot, but still the Giulia always brings a smile while driving and a look-back each time I walk away
That look-back each time is truly something that resonates across owners, I know it does for me! Absolutely surprising how this far into ownership it still gets us!

Reactions: Renardk764

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I’ve been a charger guy for a while but with the increasing thefts around chicago, I wanted something powerful, beautiful, but that could still pass under the radar of high performance if someone doesn’t know what exactly they’re looking at. And it doesn’t hurt that the QV is amazing to drive
The best combination of not necessarily being perceived as a threat/diamond to most, but also can healthily beat someone off the line if you're in a hurry and impress someone if they know what they're looking at.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
187 Posts
The best combination of not necessarily being perceived as a threat/diamond to most, but also can healthily beat someone off the line if you're in a hurry and impress someone if they know what they're looking at.
Agreed - I would hesitate to call the Giulia a sleeper, because it definitely looks pretty aggressive and sporty, but it tends to give a nasty surprise to anyone not familiar with how much performance it actually has, particularly in the base model!

In my only race to date, I successfully held my own in a largely stock Giulia against an Audi S4, though granted it was a friendly race. Nominally, he should gap me thanks to the power he's got, he's in the 4.2-4.3 second range to 60 while I'm at 5.1. I got a better launch off though, and though he pulled ahead of me twice in the straights, my below mediocre driving was carried by the ability of the Giulia to keep speed and precision in the turns. By the time it was over, we were roughly equally matched!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Agreed - I would hesitate to call the Giulia a sleeper, because it definitely looks pretty aggressive and sporty, but it tends to give a nasty surprise to anyone not familiar with how much performance it actually has, particularly in the base model!

In my only race to date, I successfully held my own in a largely stock Giulia against an Audi S4, though granted it was a friendly race. Nominally, he should gap me thanks to the power he's got, he's in the 4.2-4.3 second range to 60 while I'm at 5.1. I got a better launch off though, and though he pulled ahead of me twice in the straights, my below mediocre driving was carried by the ability of the Giulia to keep speed and precision in the turns. By the time it was over, we were roughly equally matched!
Love it! I only ever track it for speed, not yet an actual race with others (mostly 'cause I don't trust the others, in this situation) but I can only imagine the thrill. Heck, I get a thrill out of basic speed tracking, can't imagine having someone door to door with you.

Reactions: ShamAsil

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,253 Posts
-I knew I wanted a super sedan
-The qv was/is better than the m3
-Alfa has great heritage and style
-Much rarer than competitors
-The qv was in it's second MY when I bought while the m3 was ending it's production run of f80s
-Jeremy Clarkson's review 😂

-Surprised that I'm not getting as much attention as I thought I would for a 500+ HP Italian masterpiece
-Surprised at how NYC traffic and roads get worse year after year ☹

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,253 Posts
Well you certainly got the right color to fly under the radar 🤣

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I test drove one. Wasn't even on my list originally. Fell in love from day 1, haven't been able to shake the bug since.
That test drive is deadly! Hooked right away...

• Haha
Reactions: Avnyc11 and SirRog

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,074 Posts
It’s like finding out a gorgeous woman is brilliant, has a terrific sense of humor, and is an outstanding athlete.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I got a ride in a Lyft Lux from a loaded Ti Sport (white, red interior) complete with oil change light illuminated on the dash in 2017. That was the beginning of the end for me.
Nice trajectory of Alfa’s in your signature!

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
It’s like finding out a gorgeous woman is brilliant, has a terrific sense of humor, and is an outstanding athlete.
And just also happens to be Italian, after all of that!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That test drive is deadly! Hooked right away...
I actually never test drove my Giulia. In fact - until I drove it off the lot after signing the paperwork, I'd never driven a Giulia at all. o_O

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,641 Posts
Alfa Romeo; the working man's Ferrari. (at least it was when I got my Giulia)

The fast steering/handling when I test drove the Giulia won me over. The fact that Ferrari (Philippe Krief(Linkedin, Wiki)), Maserati & Alfa engineers built the platform from the ground up for Alfa Romeo sealed the deal ("purpose built").

Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a 2019 Golf R that was kind of boring to drive actually, and the seats fit me wrong. I always liked the Guila, but what was the deal maker for me was that the whole industry was pretty much out of inventory due to supply chain issues but nobody in my neck of the woods was buying Alfa's. I cared not about a bad reputation from 30 years ago. They gave me the price I paid two years earlier for my Golf in trade, and they gave me about $7500 off sticker and 0% for 48 months. It was a steal. The icing on the cake is, it is a lovely car inside and out.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport AWD Misano Blue/Black Ice
147 Posts
I was in Central Europe in '16 and '18 (btwn Florence and Budapest; Munich and Dubrovnik). My neck would snap around every time I saw a Giulia. As is often mentioned here, I assumed it was at a much higher price point. At any price, I just thought it was a stunning car to look at. Never expected to own one.

I always needed to haul samples when I was working, so it was vans, then SUVs. I always liked driving something that was out of the ordinary. I bought a 1st year Murano and used to get similar gawking to the Giulia. (Go back and look at what other SUVs looked like in 2003. It'll make more sense.)

When it came time for my first post retirement car purchase, I decided to find one to drive "just for the hell of it". One backroad later, it was decided.

Having never been a 'car guy', I got SO LUCKY with my purchase. As it turned out, there was a Chrysler dealer in Ohio with one on the lot and a new rep that I think the Mgr was trying to get started. They broke on price vs the list of others I had identified, so I bought theirs. Looking back, I could have easily ended up with something that wouldn't have captured me the way this one has. '18 Ti Sport Misano/Yellow/Black Ice.

It's ruined me. I've been looking for a '20 for a few months and I now have a combination of "must have's" that severely limits the number of vehicles I'll consider. Prices have just started to moderate, so hopefully soon. In the mean time, I love each and every drive. If I could magically roll back the odometer, I wouldn't be looking. It's perfect. But I've just clicked over 80k miles, so it's time.

Sorry....saw your thread and got me thinking.

·
Registered
2022 Giulia Ti RWD in Moonlight w/ Black Interior
1 Posts
This is my first post here. Normally I just lurk, but I really wanted to answer this question. I bought my Giulia in February, and the short answer for me is "Fate". Long answer: In early 2001 I went to the LA Auto Show with a couple of friends. I was looking for a new car, specifically a sports-sedan, and my research had led me to the Nissan Maxima. At the show, one of my friends said, "You should look at one of these.", and pointed to a 2001 Lexus IS-300. I liked the interior, went out the next day and test drove it, fell in love with the handling and acceleration and forgot all about a Maxima. I drove that car for nearly 21 years. It was like a best friend. Super reliable, and it just seemed like it wanted to go everywhere I was going. I totaled it in January, and was very sad to see it go.
I did my research, and compiled a list of cars that I thought would be a worthy successor, factoring in that in this near post-pandemic world I no longer have a daily commute, and my driving needs are grocery runs and usually a trip once or twice a month either up or down the coast. I tried a Tesla first, and couldn't understand why anyone would buy a tablet with wheels. I looked at all of the electrics, then the hybrids, then decided a fuel efficient gas car might be my best option. One of those same friends from before offered to drive me to some dealers for test drives, and we went up to the Valley. I looked at Honda, Mazda, Infiniti, Genesis, Nissan, etc. (but not Lexus because the Lexus dealership near me is crooked and I didn't want to deal with them), checking off all the cars on my list. At one point I said, "You know, the last time I did this, I ended up not buying any of the cars I researched, and stumbled across my dream car. Maybe we just pull into the next dealership and see what they have?" So we ended up pulling into the Ferrari dealership, and my friend said "You have to see what they have." They had the Giulia, which I had never heard of before. I drove it, and was hooked. But it does not have a spare tire, nor a place to put one, which was a deal breaker for me (most of my miles are outside of the city), so I kept looking. But everything else paled against the Giulia. After two more weeks of looking at other cars, I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy the sexy sports sedan that handles like a dream and gets good mileage, but doesn't have a spare tire, complains constantly about my lane changes and that I'm going to crash into the car in front of me, and has self driving features that turn themselves off when you need them the most. Oh, and sends me an email when it's low on gas. Basically the Giulia is more like a "girlfriend" than a "best friend", which is fine, but I've never had one of those relationships last longer than 2 years. Fingers crossed though.
What has surprised me? So many awesome little details that the 3 dealers I talked to didn't tell me about: The trunk carpeting is velcro loop material, so I can easily strap stuff to the walls. The lights that come on when turning, the grocery bag hook (50% of what I needed a new car for, right there), and the extra glove box. And again, it emails me about any complaint it has. Seriously, in addition to all of the questions I ask when buying a new car, I never thought, "Will it try to slide into my DMs?" would be something I'd have to ask, but I'm expecting it in a future OTA update.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I saw a video about the car and instantly loved it. At the time the price was too high though. I kept working and waiting and found a deal I could do.

What has surprised me the most about the car is first of all I still love it now as much as I did when I bought it. But let's be honest, that engine is incredible. Just the fact there is no turbo wheezing at redline is awesome. It just pulls and the ride doesn't indicate how fast you are going.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I was in Central Europe in '16 and '18 (btwn Florence and Budapest; Munich and Dubrovnik). My neck would snap around every time I saw a Giulia. As is often mentioned here, I assumed it was at a much higher price point. At any price, I just thought it was a stunning car to look at. Never expected to own one.

I always needed to haul samples when I was working, so it was vans, then SUVs. I always liked driving something that was out of the ordinary. I bought a 1st year Murano and used to get similar gawking to the Giulia. (Go back and look at what other SUVs looked like in 2003. It'll make more sense.)

When it came time for my first post retirement car purchase, I decided to find one to drive "just for the hell of it". One backroad later, it was decided.

Having never been a 'car guy', I got SO LUCKY with my purchase. As it turned out, there was a Chrysler dealer in Ohio with one on the lot and a new rep that I think the Mgr was trying to get started. They broke on price vs the list of others I had identified, so I bought theirs. Looking back, I could have easily ended up with something that wouldn't have captured me the way this one has. '18 Ti Sport Misano/Yellow/Black Ice.

It's ruined me. I've been looking for a '20 for a few months and I now have a combination of "must have's" that severely limits the number of vehicles I'll consider. Prices have just started to moderate, so hopefully soon. In the mean time, I love each and every drive. If I could magically roll back the odometer, I wouldn't be looking. It's perfect. But I've just clicked over 80k miles, so it's time.

Sorry....saw your thread and got me thinking.
No need to apologize for a great story! Wish you luck in finding the next!

81 - 100 of 116 Posts