Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Driver's assistance package

• Yes, I would buy it again!

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • No, it was a waste of money!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I am not sure yet, I need more time to experiment.....

Votes: 7 33.3%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have it on your Giulia, would you order it again?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know I really thought that the two packages were a waste hence me not wanting them until I used them. Just did a long drive and used the adaptive cruise control and BSM quite a bit. Lane keep does somewhat help on long drives just to keep you on your toes but I can see that getting annoying after a while.

Cross path is definitely cool in a busier parking lot. It helped out today when I was backing out with a lot of cars flying back and forth behind me.

Haven't used the others yet.

I would say yes, it's worth it and I was a critic before I actually got to use em.

Driver Assistance Dynamic Package
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop

Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Headlamps use a sophisticated microprocessor that automatically and quickly adjusts high-beam brightness and intensity, depending on surrounding nighttime light sources or traffic.

Forward Collision Warning
Provides Autonomous Braking - can bring the Giulia to a full stop when frontal collision may appear imminent. Forward Collision Warning includes Pedestrian Detection

Driver Assistance Static Package
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Blind Spot and Crosspath Detection
Infrared Windshield
Lane Departure Warning

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here's the thing in my case and quite frankly is the case for all of us who where launch run Quads...we had no choice...cars pretty much came as they did...so I will offer this from a dollars & sense view....my insurance with Liberty Mutual is exactly $425 dollars less per year because of the Drivers Assist(lane departure, accident avoidance)....so for that I like it....it is not active in Race Mode....and in the rest you can set the chimes & noises to off....the ONLY thing that freaked me out once was when the car applied the brakes on its own...LOL
Have not had an instance like that since....
So would I order it?...if I had the choice...yes I would..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Headlamps use a sophisticated microprocessor that automatically and quickly adjusts high-beam brightness and intensity, depending on surrounding nighttime light sources or traffic.
Is this from Alfa's literature? On my QV, it just turns high beam on or off, quite basic. It doesn't alter the beam pattern.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
If the automatic high-beam operation was separated from the package, I would not get the rest of the safety package. Would only opt for the high-beam option! It works really well and gas 3 sensitivity settings.

Been driving for many years now and accident free. I suppose my thinking is that I don't need artificial intelligence driving for me. Hence no need for forward collision warning nor emergency braking nor lane wander alerts.

Though, the nice thing about the lane wandering system is that during highway driving or any dual lane road with middle of the road lane markers-- the wander alert activates if you do not activate your turn signal for a lane change.

----

On the high beam intensity adjustment, I have not seen any change in the amount of projected light. It is either high beam up/on or down/off as far as I can tell.

So, how do I vote!? ;)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric, thanks for the input!

I guess the way you vote is, knowing what you know now, would you order it again on your Giulia?:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
Mentioned earlier was the possible insurance discount.

I need to review that with my agent.

Will not order the safety package again. I can do the high-beams manually.

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes I would order again, because I'm the sort of person that is happiest when my car has all the toys.

Lane Keep Assist - always disabled. I drive in the country a lot and am always crossing the centre line so it is just annoying for my use case.
Blind spot monitoring - good, especially when joining a motorway from a slip road; B pillars are in the way for a clear shoulder check.
Auto high beam - always disabled, it is too slow to respond for my liking (although faster than any other car I've had it on).
Forward Collision Warning - left on shortest setting. It is nice to know it is there and it doesn't intrude.
Cross vehicle alert - never used it because in UK it is best practise to reverse into parking bays rather than front in.
Adaptive Cruise - excellent in stop/start traffic and general motorway cruising; the Giulia's implementation is very nice and predictable.
Dimmable mirrors - essential for me as I do a lot of night driving and it really helps fatigue.

In order of priority for me; Dimmable mirrors, Adaptive cruise, blind sport monitoring, and then the rest I can take or leave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have all of this on my TI. I havnt gotten to play with all the features yet. The automatic high beams are nice to have. Forward collision warning is kinda annoying but im sure some day it may help me. As for the rest I havnt gotten to play with yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My younger self would say no - leave all of that nonsense off of my cars. But as I get...older...and cars get...faster...I say it can't hurt. When I was trying to locate the last C63 507 sedan in existence a few years ago I finally found the perfect one but it was laced with all types of nannies...that over time I actually grew to rely on and use for safety. Reflexes, vision and sensory depth perception are not what they used to be. When I hop in my 2001 Land Rover Discovery without anything like this it definitely gives you pause before you change lanes on the beltway at 80mph in 5 lanes of traffic.

When I am on the track in my 911 that is another whole ball of wax...you are prepped and out there with other skilled drivers so I don't notice or miss these.

I say get it (I did on mine). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes I would order again, because I'm the sort of person that is happiest when my car has all the toys.

Lane Keep Assist - always disabled. I drive in the country a lot and am always crossing the centre line so it is just annoying for my use case.
Blind spot monitoring - good, especially when joining a motorway from a slip road; B pillars are in the way for a clear shoulder check.
Auto high beam - always disabled, it is too slow to respond for my liking (although faster than any other car I've had it on).
Forward Collision Warning - left on shortest setting. It is nice to know it is there and it doesn't intrude.
Cross vehicle alert - never used it because in UK it is best practise to reverse into parking bays rather than front in.
Adaptive Cruise - excellent in stop/start traffic and general motorway cruising; the Giulia's implementation is very nice and predictable.
Dimmable mirrors - essential for me as I do a lot of night driving and it really helps fatigue.

In order of priority for me; Dimmable mirrors, Adaptive cruise, blind sport monitoring, and then the rest I can take or leave.
I don't know if my Collision prevention is working. The adaptive cruise control is working great but the collision prevention is warning me when i am too close and it does not even apply breaks. Am I missing any setting? The current setting s are as follows:

Sensitivity--Far
Functionality: Warning and Break

Please let me know if I miss anything.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,091 Posts
I wish one of them included a cloaking device.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know if my Collision prevention is working. The adaptive cruise control is working great but the collision prevention is warning me when i am too close and it does not even apply breaks. Am I missing any setting? The current setting s are as follows:

Sensitivity--Far
Functionality: Warning and Break

Please let me know if I miss anything.
That setting is correct.

I don't know how you'd test without risk, but if it beeps I'd be inclined to believe it is working and you just have a bigger safety margin than the car. It is designed to be a last effort crash mitigation system and not an autopilot, so in normal driving should never be active.

One test you could try is to follow a car slowing to turn into a side road. Predict when the car will have left your path in time and continue constant speed or accelerate towards the car. FCW seems to get confused by this and will beep and limit throttle until the car has completely left your path. This is the only situation I've found so far that is intrusive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is this from Alfa's literature? On my QV, it just turns high beam on or off, quite basic. It doesn't alter the beam pattern.
Yea, that was a cut and paste from Alfa's site...

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I want the feature I saw in a commercial, SNL I think, where you activate a beam that moves a slow car in front of you to another lane.
Isn't that a Lexus ad?

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
That setting is correct.

I don't know how you'd test without risk, but if it beeps I'd be inclined to believe it is working and you just have a bigger safety margin than the car. It is designed to be a last effort crash mitigation system and not an autopilot, so in normal driving should never be active.

One test you could try is to follow a car slowing to turn into a side road. Predict when the car will have left your path in time and continue constant speed or accelerate towards the car. FCW seems to get confused by this and will beep and limit throttle until the car has completely left your path. This is the only situation I've found so far that is intrusive.
I wonder what all the symbols are in the screen between the speedometer and tachometer. The two converging lines and three (or is it four?) dots at the top, for instance.

While we're at it, is it possible to deactivate stability control and traction control?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder what all the symbols are in the screen between the speedometer and tachometer. The two converging lines and three (or is it four?) dots at the top, for instance.
I believe that indicates the distance at which you follow the vehicle in front of you. The less dashes indicates a closer proximity between you and the leading car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe that indicates the distance at which you follow the vehicle in front of you. The less dashes indicates a closer proximity between you and the leading car.
Yes, this. I tend to use it to set distance to match traffic distance set by surrounding drivers; typically closer in heavy traffic and further away in light traffic.

While we're at it, is it possible to deactivate stability control and traction control?
This is possible on the QV in RACE mode. I don't think other specs have the option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.