Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500 miles seems within reach. Has anyone achieved it? Gone farther?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yup. I've done 500 miles without refueling. Oh, did you mean in Giulia? My truck has storage for 53 gallons (US gallon) of fuel. I have a 500 mile cruising range, 600 with a tailwind. At 10 mpg, I'm accepting donations.

In a Giulia? Hmm. We'll be doing a 6,000 mile road trip this summer. I'm sure we'll find out then. 400 miles should be doable. 500 might be a stretch though.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
Yup. I've done 500 miles without refueling. Oh, did you mean in Giulia? My truck has storage for 53 gallons (US gallon) of fuel. I have a 500 mile cruising range, 600 with a tailwind. At 10 mpg, I'm accepting donations.

In a Giulia? Hmm. We'll be doing a 6,000 mile road trip this summer. I'm sure we'll find out then. 400 miles should be doable. 500 might be a stretch though.
OK, also not a Giulia: 630 miles in my Dodge truck (no tail wind and not babying it), 34 gallon tank that took 34 gallons to fill. The truck gets roughly 20MPG under 'best' no-tailwind conditions if I compensate for the 4.5% oversize tires (245 70R19.5). I got 24MPG once at 67MPH with a tailwind.

I've managed about 450 miles in the Protege (13.6gallon tank, 34MPG rating), so 500 miles in a Giulia Q2 with 15.3 gallons and 33MPG is believable, but really pushing your luck. It is easier to hypermile with a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I drove from CT > VT and was shocked to see I had over a 1/3 of a tank left. Usually on previous trips I've run out at destination in just about every car. I drove around for the rest of the weekend and only filled up when I saw a VPower sign. I'm guessing I could have gone 450+ that weekend

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know the mileage, but I drove my Giulia past one bar on the fuel gauge. First you get an audible alarm and text warning. After a few miles more a big picture of a yellow fuel pump shows up on the center display. I guess that's for drivers who are deaf and can't read.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be curious to see how the fuel economy compares with what the display is showing.

Am I correct that the MPG resets along with the trip odometer?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'll be curious to see how the fuel economy compares with what the display is showing.

Am I correct that the MPG resets along with the trip odometer?
Odometer reset does reset the MPG as well....I use A for montly for corporate reimbursement and B for between fillups....it averages arond 24 with my mix of driving in metro area with city, smooth parkways and twisty backroads

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,837 Posts
sure, kanundrum, i might just head off into the Simpson Desert and keep driving till i run out of fuel just so i can make my last post before i die of thirst, or get killed by Mad Max desert people

better take an extra battery

·
Registered
343 Posts
sure, kanundrum, i might just head off into the Simpson Desert and keep driving till i run out of fuel just so i can make my last post before i die of thirst, or get killed by Mad Max desert people

better take an extra battery
Better take a wifi hotspot, too, so you can make that final post :wink2:

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm reminded of when James Bond said "I was just out walking my rat and seemed to have lost my way" in Diamonds are Forever.

Keep an eye out for Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,837 Posts
I'm reminded of when James Bond said "I was just out walking my rat and seemed to have lost my way" in Diamonds are Forever.

Keep an eye out for Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd.
no chance of getting lost, i just passed a lovely lady selling squirrels, and she gave me directions

200klms so far

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no chance of getting lost, i just passed a lovely lady selling squirrels, and she gave me directions
She didn't take you in and give you breakfast?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
2.0T does get great mileage at sustained speed....I recently got over 40MPG with just a smooth driving at average 70mph, no hypermiling, no effort really....
Is that US or Imperial Gallons? I see 20C on your display, so maybe you have adjusted the units? 40MPG Imperial is about 32MPG US.

With my wife's Subaru I find that I can get about 1MPG over the EPA rating on the highway by putting it in manual shift mode to lock it into virtual 6th gear. The ECU is far too eager to downshift on the slightest incline accounting for the difference. OTOH, the car can only maintain 65MPG at up to about a 2% grade while forced into virtual 6th. Nobody will ever accuse a Crosstrek of having too much power or torque.

How often does Giulia shift out of 8th with converter lock while cruising the highway?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How often does Giulia shift out of 8th with converter lock while cruising the highway?
I am curious whether putting the selector in 'A' makes the transmission more likely to stay in 8th gear.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It is US gallons, I live in DC Metro area....i lived most of my life around the world and while I can now deal with inches, feet, miles and pounds, I simply can not get used to Fahrenheit hence the change to Celsius in my cars....on a sustained speed smooth drive on long straight hwy (forced on me by dense fast traffic) Giulia just gets enormous mileage, car was the whole time in 8th

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am curious whether putting the selector in 'A' makes the transmission more likely to stay in 8th gear.
That's a good question. My observations so far, is that the Giulia will up-shift a lot sooner than I would, and stay in as high a gear for as long as it possibly can. That, is a-typical automatic transmission logic.

Now, there is a different logic pattern between Dynamic and Natural modes (while in auto). D will stay in a lower gear longer and will downshift sooner, most notably during deceleration. It actually provides some minimal compression braking.

I haven't played with All Weather mode much, I find it too slushy, even for a big saloon. A mode is there for the purpose of controlling wheel spin and other types of car control during bad weather such as rain, snow & ice. That said, locking up the torque converter would not help with traction control. So, without any real facts or experimentation, I'd have to say 'no' to the question. I suspect that D mode would keep the torque converter locked the most.

As far as what mode will get the best fuel consumption, most of that has to do with the driver, not the mode. Mood vs mode. LOL I would guess at Dynamic Manual to ultimately have the best possibly fuel efficiency. But the driver has to want to try to get good fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a good question. My observations so far, is that the Giulia will up-shift a lot sooner than I would, and stay in as high a gear for as long as it possibly can. That, is a-typical automatic transmission logic.

Now, there is a different logic pattern between Dynamic and Natural modes (while in auto). D will stay in a lower gear longer and will downshift sooner, most notably during deceleration. It actually provides some minimal compression braking.

I haven't played with All Weather mode much, I find it too slushy, even for a big saloon. A mode is there for the purpose of controlling wheel spin and other types of car control during bad weather such as rain, snow & ice. That said, locking up the torque converter would not help with traction control. So, without any real facts or experimentation, I'd have to say 'no' to the question. I suspect that D mode would keep the torque converter locked the most.

As far as what mode will get the best fuel consumption, most of that has to do with the driver, not the mode. Mood vs mode. LOL I would guess at Dynamic Manual to ultimately have the best possibly fuel efficiency. But the driver has to want to try to get good fuel efficiency.
It's not All Weather, but instead Advanced Efficiency (AKA ECO). While I agree the driver plays a dominant role, I sometimes wonder whether adaptive cruise control hurts fuel economy because it can accelerate fairly hard when an obstacle (AKA slower vehicle) is removed. In non-adaptive mode I typically use the Set + and Set - buttons on the steering wheel to adjust incrementally to the speed of traffic around me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts