Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an owner for 2 weeks now, I am still getting used to the car but there are a few quirks that I just can't seem go get over. I hate the fact that:

1. The radio is always off by default every time I start my car. It is annoying that I always have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to turn it on. It should just remember the last state and resume from there. One could argue that this car is a performance race car and the only sound you should want to hear is the engine and exhaust. However, there are some days that I don't care about that and just want to listen to Kids Bop Music with my girls :)

2. What?! I can't disable the Eco Auto Start/Stop feature permanently? I hate the fact that I have to disable this manually every time I start the car. I don't like the fact the car sounds like it dies at every complete stop and I hate the extra lag that it takes to go from a stopped engine to restarting the engine before moving forward. That is so annoying! The manual says that it saves $100 a year in gas savings, but the wear and tear on the ignition and engine far surpasses the $100 worth of gas savings. Is there a way to permanently disable this feature?

·
Registered
343 Posts
1. The radio is always off by default every time I start my car. It is annoying that I always have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to turn it on. It should just remember the last state and resume from there. One could argue that this car is a performance race car and the only sound you should want to hear is the engine and exhaust. However, there are some days that I don't care about that and just want to listen to Kids Bop Music with my girls :)
Then there is something wrong with your car. My radio comes back on right where I left it EVERY time I start the car. I've had mine for a little over 8 weeks.

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow, 2 additional items to the gremlin list today. I am hoping to have a better idea of my financing schedule in the next week or so. May be able to pull the trigger within the year. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
2. What?! I can't disable the Eco Auto Start/Stop feature permanently? I hate the fact that I have to disable this manually every time I start the car. I don't like the fact the car sounds like it dies at every complete stop and I hate the extra lag that it takes to go from a stopped engine to restarting the engine before moving forward. That is so annoying! The manual says that it saves $100 a year in gas savings, but the wear and tear on the ignition and engine far surpasses the $100 worth of gas savings. Is there a way to permanently disable this feature?
My wife's Allroad has the same issue with the A button. You can't disactivate it and it is annoying......

It must be a European Union mandate on all European cars......

·
Registered
103 Posts
My wife's Allroad has the same issue with the A button. You can't disactivate it and it is annoying......

You r right. Auto stop/start and passive forward collision prevention are required to even be tested by euro n-cap

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is it possible to disable Auto Engine shut down and restart in the USA for the Giulia.? I am in the market for a Giulia Ti, but if this is not possible I am out.
Yes, it can be shut off manually with a button on the dash, but it automatically defaults to on every time you start the car, so you must turn it off each time. Annoying - yes. But I wouldn't use that as the only reason you won't get a Giulia Ti.

Reactions: Bash

·
Registered
56 Posts

On my '16 BMW 2 series stop/start can be disables at the push of a button and will remain the default until the button is again depressed. Obviously permissible in the USA.

Paul

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
On my '16 BMW 2 series stop/start can be disables at the push of a button and will remain the default until the button is again depressed. Obviously permissible in the USA.

Paul
Same in the Audi.
What I meant is you can't disactivate permanently. You have to push the button after each initial start.....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Same in the Audi.
What I meant is you can't disactivate permanently. You have to push the button after each initial start.....
In the newer BMWs once you press the button, it remains disabled "permanently", even through engine stop/starts. This behavior can be changed through coding to be like the Giulia's. BMW can code different behavior for different markets. I'm sure Alfa could do the same.

BTW, with BMW's there are several aftermarket methods to do "coding" on the electronics, like this www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/. There are also much cheaper solutions. Has anybody heard of something like that for the Giulia?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same in the Audi.
Well, that's not what I was tying to say. When I hit the buttom it is permanent until l hit it again. Manually turning off the engine and restarting the engine change nothing. Sorry for the confusion.

See above post by verrilli for a more detailed explanation.

Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
my understanding on this is that each car is different, and it depends on how the car was tested during EPA ratings. On My macan S for example, you could turn it off and it would remain that way until you hit the button again, like road scum states. On my rental Cruze this weekend, there is no button to disable and i am in florida, and when it shuts down, the AC immediately stops blowing cold-- very annoying.... probably the best way to think of it is that most engines do better long term if you give them a little time to warm up and flow some oils... if you have to start your car, put on your seat belt, ( which you remember to do each time) its not that big a deal to push the button... just add it to your routine and you will be helping your engine a little bit also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
In the newer BMWs once you press the button, it remains disabled "permanently", even through engine stop/starts. This behavior can be changed through coding to be like the Giulia's. BMW can code different behavior for different markets. I'm sure Alfa could do the same.

BTW, with BMW's there are several aftermarket methods to do "coding" on the electronics, like this www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/. There are also much cheaper solutions. Has anybody heard of something like that for the Giulia?
Should be possible but unfortunately none of our BMW coding friends have converted to Alfa yet. Unfortunately, most BMW folks are Alfa haters. Somehow they seem to forget that BMWs were also VERY unreliable 30 years ago. Short BMW memories, long Alfa memories.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, the auto-start defaults to 'on' each time you manually start the car. That's how the car was submitted to the EPA (US government thing) for approval. You can turn it off, but only for the duration of each drive. Once you manually turn off the engine, it resets back to 'auto-start' again.

The radio: Our new Ti just thinks for herself too much. Period. I haven't had time to play with the settings yet. This could be a user adjustment or it could be wired wrong. Ours will turn back on if it was on when the engine got turned off. Unfortunately, it seems like the volume is always louder than it had been.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The radio: Our new Ti just thinks for herself too much. Period. I haven't had time to play with the settings yet. This could be a user adjustment or it could be wired wrong. Ours will turn back on if it was on when the engine got turned off. Unfortunately, it seems like the volume is always louder than it had been.

@Racer Z - You may be experiencing the 'Auto-On Radio' feature. Page 13 of the Radio manual states:

"The Information and Entertainment
System stores the last state (on or off)
in memory when the engine is turned
off. The next time the engine is started;
the system will resume the previous
function.
Note: This setting can be changed by
enabling "Auto-On Radio", located in
“System” under the "SETTINGS” menu."

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
@Racer Z - You may be experiencing the 'Auto-On Radio' feature. Page 13 of the Radio manual states:

"The Information and Entertainment
System stores the last state (on or off)
in memory when the engine is turned
off. The next time the engine is started;
the system will resume the previous
function.
Note: This setting can be changed by
enabling "Auto-On Radio", located in
“System” under the "SETTINGS” menu."

Hope that helps!
Thanks Bull. I haven't had time to open the manual or play with the user settings yet. I was hoping to have read the owner's manual before the car got here, but that didn't happen :(

Reactions: Bull

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Thanks Bull. I haven't had time to open the manual or play with the user settings yet. I was hoping to have read the owner's manual before the car got here, but that didn't happen :(
A nice problem to have? :smile2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts