Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a QV on order and not scheduled to arrive until early summer (at least that is what dealer says). Now that I am reading all the early issues posted here with gremlins, annoying issues, sub par fit and finish, I am having some serious second thoughts. I broke all self imposed rules to buy this car, never buy new and never buy a used first year model. However, I am an old Alfa aficionado, my last one was a 1994 164 QV which I kept for 15 years and never had any issues, not counting the ones that were inflected by mechanics which had no idea what they were doing. Seriously thinking to back out even know I just love this thing and gave a small down payment to place the order.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have a QV on order and not scheduled to arrive until early summer (at least that is what dealer says). Now that I am reading all the early issues posted here with gremlins, annoying issues, sub par fit and finish, I am having some serious second thoughts. I broke all self imposed rules to buy this car, never buy new and never buy a used first year model. However, I am an old Alfa aficionado, my last one was a 1994 164 QV which I kept for 15 years and never had any issues, not counting the ones that were inflected by mechanics which had no idea what they were doing. Seriously thinking to back out even know I just love this thing and gave a small down payment to place the order.

A forum is always going to seem worse than daily ownership. Many people eventually will come to forums simply because of their problems, because a lot of people have no reason to hang around a forum otherwise. If you owned an Alfa for 15 years you know what to expect.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
A forum is always going to seem worse than daily ownership. Many people eventually will come to forums simply because of their problems, because a lot of people have no reason to hang around a forum otherwise. If you owned an Alfa for 15 years you know what to expect.
that has got to be one of the silliest statements I have EVER heard...come to forums because of their problems???
I have posted the good the bad & the ugly....in my QV experience so far...100% objective...and more importantly I've put my money where my mouth is and actually purchased one.....
these are issues like it or not...some people experienced them others did not....my car did not have any infotainment or radio issues....but the headlight washer assembly on both sides broke & one side fell off(Kanundrum experienced the same)...was that the end of the world...nope..was it something that you don't expect on an 80k car? yes.
my CEL is more of a concern because it goes directly to the ability to drive the car...to which you cannot....that is an issue...the fact that they cannot find the fix so far is the other concern.....some people have had zero issues...others not so much...
now whether or not the OP feels he may have made a mistake is up to him...

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want reliability get a 3 series, A4, TLX, or is250. If you want to invoke passion every time you start up the engine go with your original plan to get the Giulia.

Besides I doubt any dealer would return even a small deposit.

And despite the most popular thread on these forums (Italian gremlins) the car seems to be fairly reliable so far. I'm 600 miles into my TI and no issues so far.

Although I'm worried about potential damage to my amp by tinting it, I will probably shove enough towels in the back to dry a swim team. ^_^

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you cancel, can I have your allocation? Seriously!

I understand the trepidation. I don't usually buy 1st year anything either, but I think this car is pretty special. The smart thing might be to wait until next year, but is it worth waiting one year just for one or two fewer issues? Personally, I don't think so.

·
Registered
79 Posts

You should be one of the luckier ones, hopefully, with a later build that fixes many of the issues you're reading about straight from the factory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Go with your original instinct......................i have a Ti with 1800 miles on it now and the only issue i have had is the infotainment system reboot itself twice. But in today's age of computers it happens, has happened in my BMW and Jaguar and friends who have Tesla's.

Today's car's are infinitely more reliable than ever before. I have no regrets and everyday when I walk up to get into the car it puts a smile on my face and for anyone who enjoy's driving that is all that matters!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

don't know of any Ti Giulia's that have had ECU/CEL issues driving issues....only the QV....
a 1st run car will have teething issues.....
stick it out..
BTW don't know where you are but my dealer has at least 20 cars on the lot all colors/equipment...the only common thread is that they are all AWD...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Go with your original instinct. This is an amazing car.
Zero issues - 800 miles.
Ditto! 550 miles so far and climbing.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
that has got to be one of the silliest statements I have EVER heard...come to forums because of their problems???
I have posted the good the bad & the ugly....in my QV experience so far...100% objective...and more importantly I've put my money where my mouth is and actually purchased one.....
these are issues like it or not...some people experienced them others did not....my car did not have any infotainment or radio issues....but the headlight washer assembly on both sides broke & one side fell off(Kanundrum experienced the same)...was that the end of the world...nope..was it something that you don't expect on an 80k car? yes.
my CEL is more of a concern because it goes directly to the ability to drive the car...to which you cannot....that is an issue...the fact that they cannot find the fix so far is the other concern.....some people have had zero issues...others not so much...
now whether or not the OP feels he may have made a mistake is up to him...
Ok, I apologize. Just saying how if you go to any forum, like Merc or Porsche etc, you will find, like this forum, that some of the most active threads and sections are discussing problems/quirks and how to fix them, that's all. This is the first forum I've ever used this much, but I can tell you that the only time I've ever used forums before is to solve a problem I am having. Maybe I said something wrong but I do not see what is so crazy about this statement, and I apologize for whatever I said :smile2:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
No need to apologize...I have always thought the purpose of the auto forums (or at least it used to be back in the day) was for like minded people who own a particular marque to discuss anything and everything about the car, to learn about things ie DYI, an interesting modification, potential issues that pop up etc.
if you want fanboy....M3forum is a good place to start...
I am angry & disappointed in a car & marque that I placed a deposit on 1.5 years ago has been such a let down to this point....
when it finally arrived i was in awe of the car....you will not find someone who was a better ambassador of the brand....how many QV owners here left their car with their dealer so that they could show it to perspective clients after it was paid in full, insured & registered??...Officially I bought the car on Dec. 28th 2016...but I left it to the dealer until Jan. 10th 2017 as a courtesy...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for the input. I have decided to stick with my original decision and get the car whenever it arrives. I am not in a hurry and hopefully by then Alfa will have figured most of the issues. After I sold my 164 I bought a Benz C63 AMG, a beast of car. However, while the C63 far outperformed the 164 in every respect, I have to tell you the Alfa was so much more engaging and fun to drive. I sold the C63 in June with a tidy profit in anticpation to purchase the Giulia QV in the hope I would recapture the same enthusiasm I had for the 164 and I think I will.

I will be in Italy first week of April and maybe should drive to the Cassino factory and check out how the car is coming along. I wish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The cars just do all the right things....emotionally. They will have their issues (as most all cars do) but the permanent smile will out weigh all :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The cars just do all the right things....emotionally. They will have their issues (as most all cars do) but the permanent smile will out weigh all :smile2:
Hi^5 on that one!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Defnitely stick with it. If I had enough saved up I would buy it now and **** the teething problems. ;) The one thing that does concern me is the CEL and electrical issues, possibly with the harness. That is a modern, present day kind of thing that may turn out to be a problem. I have seen enough electronics, with gaming equipment and so forth, where the wiring and switching is so downsized and skimped in an effort to save materials and costs, that the parts just fail. Membrane switches crush in a matter of weeks, triggers wear out, wires crack because there was one micro strand of copper in an otherwise nylon cord. Now if that was done to the harness, like I saw somewhere here or on another site, some of us may have to get them replaced. I just sorted out wear and tear issues on my boost card harness on my Miata, 3 years into the supercharger kit. The **** potholes and general crap urban streets, plus a race suspension generate a ton of vibration and wear. One ecool injector wire worn through on the glove box door, the other no. 2 cylinder injector wire wore through on the console edge, stranding me twice around Thanksgiving! I found the shorts, taped them up and then armored the harness with loom tubing. (This was all good sturdy gauge wire) It was several weeks of stress and garage bills but nobody found it but me! I have an extra coil pack that I have to eat now since the 90 days return is up. Keep you fingers crossed that most harnesses are OK. They can be fixed.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Defnitely stick with it. If I had enough saved up I would buy it now and **** the teething problems. ;) The one thing that does concern me is the CEL and electrical issues, possibly with the harness. That is a modern, present day kind of thing that may turn out to be a problem. I have seen enough electronics, with gaming equipment and so forth, where the wiring and switching is so downsized and skimped in an effort to save materials and costs, that the parts just fail. Membrane switches crush in a matter of weeks, triggers wear out, wires crack because there was one micro strand of copper in an otherwise nylon cord. Now if that was done to the harness, like I saw somewhere here or on another site, some of us may have to get them replaced. I just sorted out wear and tear issues on my boost card harness on my Miata, 3 years into the supercharger kit. The **** potholes and general crap urban streets, plus a race suspension generate a ton of vibration and wear. One ecool injector wire worn through on the glove box door, the other no. 2 cylinder injector wire wore through on the console edge, stranding me twice around Thanksgiving! I found the shorts, taped them up and then armored the harness with loom tubing. It was several weeks of stress and garage bills but nobody found it but me! I have an extra coil pack that I have to eat now since the 90 days return is up. Keep you fingers crossed that most harnesses are OK. They can be fixed.
make me a serious offer I have title in hand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts