Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

After reading a thread about an issue with miss fire and the mention of quality/brand of fuel was brought up I looked around a bit and did not see anywhere that the topic had really been discussed.

So, What are you running in your Giulia? Please also state if it is a 2.0 or Quad.

87 Octane?
89 Octane?
91-93 Octane?

As I wait for my 2018 Ti Sport to arrive I have been thinking about what would be best to use.

Thank you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This topic has been brought up many times. Just do a search on this forum. Not sure why you would inquire as to any other octane other than what's recommended on the owner's manual.
Point taken and I looked again at the owners manual and found this- For optimal performance the
use of 91 or higher octane “Premium”
gasoline is recommended in these
engines.

Thank you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This topic has been brought up many times. Just do a search on this forum. Not sure why you would inquire as to any other octane other than what's recommended on the owner's manual.
Also, I did do a search and was not able to find a specific thread that discussed this.
Not everyone does what is recommended.

I would also expect this to be an open Forum and receive helpful information and not get reply's that only ask WHY the questions if being asked.

Thank you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
87 ouch... always put in the highest that i can find. In my part of the country that's 91

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Shell V-Power in all my Alfas and have done since it was called Optimax in UK(1980s?). Here it can be 99RON, in Germany and Italy it can be 100RON. From my 1980 Alfasud engine rebuild to my 2017 Giulia Veloce, it cleans like no other. The inside of my classic car's carburettors and piston crowns prove it. I would never use supermarket petrol in a performance engine. I'm getting above 40 MPG on my Giulia.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'll be using 100 octane on my QV while at track, 93 for DD.....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How to know whether 100 is overkill?
It burns cooler and especially in the hot summer track days it can only help..... all my race cars run on 100 octane, so why not the QV?
I bet AR used 100 octane on the QV that set the 7:32 record at the Nurburgring......

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
91 with 10 percent corn. Best you can find in California, unfortunately.
Up to 96 octane pump gas is available in a few stations in California. It is pricey though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
91 pure no corn in midwest

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
there's a certain amount of irony with "pure no corn" being available in NE, but ethanol mandates in many east and west coast states that grow more berries than corn.
edit - maybe the term should be "corony"

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
I use Shell V-Power in all my Alfas and have done since it was called Optimax in UK(1980s?). Here it can be 99RON, in Germany and Italy it can be 100RON. From my 1980 Alfasud engine rebuild to my 2017 Giulia Veloce, it cleans like no other. The inside of my classic car's carburettors and piston crowns prove it. I would never use supermarket petrol in a performance engine. I'm getting above 40 MPG on my Giulia.
Until a few months ago I scoffed at "brand name" gasoline. However, out of convenience I filled up my 1999 Mazda Protege recently with Shell gasoline (140kmiles on the ODO). I had been having a misfire problem for quite a while and my Mazda specialty mechanic tried everything to fix it, including fuel injector cleaning additives in the tank; nothing worked. However, with just one tank of the Shell gasoline run through the car the misfire was 100% gone, even after I switched back to "the cheap stuff". Anyway, I'm a believer now.

FWIW: in California ethanol is added to gasoline to meet certain smog and renewable energy requirements. I don't know if it really reduces smog, but it is highly doubtful that it truly meets any renewable energy goals (i.e. it meets the letter of the law, rather than really reducing dependence on fossil fuels). The manufacturers are NOT required to add ethanol, but ethanol is the least cost way for them to meet the rules.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
FWIW: in California ethanol is added to gasoline to meet certain smog and renewable energy requirements. I don't know if it really reduces smog, but it is highly doubtful that it truly meets any renewable energy goals (i.e. it meets the letter of the law, rather than really reducing dependence on fossil fuels). The manufacturers are NOT required to add ethanol, but ethanol is the least cost way for them to meet the rules.
Renewable fuel subsidies?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts