Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a young 20-year-old i used to work in a tire and rim shop kind of a hot rod shop and lots of cars came in periodically w/ fix a flat and It always does heavy corrosion damage to the metal on the inner rim so what does everybody do that upgrades from run flats with no spare tire???

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,603 Posts
Much higher performance cars have runflats, so maybe better runflats, and stop trying to get off as cheaply as possible?

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much higher performance cars have runflats, so maybe better runflats, and stop trying to get off as cheaply as possible?
You totally missed the question… A lot of drivers upgraded tires for better handling such as Michelin Bridgestone Toyo etc. These are not run flats and considered higher end/ better handling tires ....

·
Registered
212 Posts
As a young 20-year-old i used to work in a tire and rim shop kind of a hot rod shop and lots of cars came in periodically w/ fix a flat and It always does heavy corrosion damage to the metal on the inner rim so what does everybody do that upgrades from run flats with no spare tire???
AAA?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,083 Posts
"What does everyone do that ditches their Run flats for better tires ?"

i just leave the old ones at the tyre place, the tyre fitter puts them on the rubbish pile

🦘

You totally missed the question…
is that better ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's a non-smart ass answer (come on people, are we 12?)

Fix-a-Flat can in the trunk, and/or a tire repair kit. Also, AAA.
I didn't think my AAA comment was a smart ass answer... it's literally what i've done with pass vehicles. I kind of wish I gave a smart ass answer now though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Totally… But sitting on the side of the road twiddling your thumbs waiting for the yellow tow truck doesn’t sound very appealing either… Ha ha
For me, it's a risk i'm willing to take. I haven't had a full out flat while driving in over 10 years. (Company vehicle last time actually) And I drive for a living.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Here's a non-smart ass answer (come on people, are we 12?)

Fix-a-Flat can in the trunk, and/or a tire repair kit. Also, AAA.
its a badly worded question ...
actually its a stupid question ... no offense intended, but what are the choices? ... SPG already said the fix-a-goo wrecks the rims, and not running a spare was also included in the question ... which makes NDion80 TODAYS WINNER ANSWER !!

run flats
fixa-a-goo
no spare

AAA
leave them behind at the tyre shop
tyre repair person in the boot

closely followed by my pedantic retort ... and you were LAST for being a smartarse yourself, i answered the question after all the other options had been exhausted LOL

if you dont want to wreck your rims, ruin a perfectly good repairable tyre, not carry a spare ... then AAA is the ONLY answer

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Totally… But sitting on the side of the road twiddling your thumbs waiting for the yellow tow truck doesn’t sound very appealing either… Ha ha
then either carry a spare or stick with runflats

simples :)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,603 Posts
You totally missed the question… A lot of drivers upgraded tires for better handling such as Michelin Bridgestone Toyo etc. These are not run flats and considered higher end/ better handling tires ....
I certainly did not, but clearly you didn’t understand the answer, nor do you understand what you write: Michelin and Bridgestone are not runflats you say?

If you want me to hold your hand and guide you through to some understanding, we’ll need to start with some basic facts, primarily that runflat and conventional are not performance categories, they’re types of tire constructions. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other type, and both types have tires suited to a variety of use conditions.

If you’re following along with that, then it should be obvious that to say you want to upgrade from a general type of tire construction, runflats, makes no sense, because we not only don’t know which runflats you’re talking about, nor know what your needs are to be able to determine what would constitute an upgrade. A Big Mac is ostensibly an upgrade from a McDouble, but if you don’t like the special sauce, or don’t eat lettuce, or are trying to limit carbs or calories, a Big Mac is not an upgrade at all.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,603 Posts
Conventional wisdom says red tow trucks should be the fastest. Call the red tow truck. Be sure to tell them you have upgraded tires.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I actually think it is pedant week at the Giulia forum and I wholeheartedly agree with PSG (after one simple puncture cost me nearly $800 to fix recently).
Runflats are more expensive right?
Most dealers are reluctant to repair runflats right? (I know there are anecdotes about relatives repairing them and still being alive a few months later but I am talking about approved guaranteed repairs)
Tyres that show some wear should be replaced in pairs right?
Various tyre goo is only approved until the tyres can be repaired "properly" and as PSG said has been associated with at least mess and at worse wheel damage. Right?
Manufacturers recommend even with run flats to have them repaired within 70kms/50 miles which is a problem in the country right?
Runflats generally have a trade off in terms of negative noise and/or handling and/ or expense and/or ride, right?
So PSG I'll take your question as rhetorical and conclude that there seems to be no satisfactory solution (especially for those travelling outside metropolitan areas, which would make Giulias and BMWs as useless as Teslas), so cross your fingers and don't ever end a sentence with the word "right". Now where did I put my medication?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i might have to order a few bolltes of Sense O'Humour and pass them around ...

and to think, its just gone Happy Hour

🍸🥃🍷🍹🍾

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
i haven’t changed tires yet, but when the time comes, I’m going non-runflat. I’ll also get a small jack, quality tire plug kit, and air compressor to fit under the trunk carpet.

My wife’s Volvo V60 didn’t come with a spare either, but Volvo was thoughtful enough to leave the spare tire well so I just needed to modify the under trunk storage shelf to fit a tire and jack.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
looks like i have been called a smartarse and other assorted things for being "jovial"

ok i might go all the way ... this has already been discussed, and a thread already exists ... including the option of the spacesaver

again, intended no offense to the OP ... i was taking the piss, but a couple of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves ... (you know who you are) lol

No spare tire?

search engine doesnt have a check engine light on it does it ?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts