Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Alfa Giulia experts,

When using the A (adaptive) setting, please clarify if this is intended for maximum mileage, adaptive traction or something else. My dealership told me one thing, the forum has mentioned another and the manual states a third point of view.

Someone from the Alfa insiders please answer this question. if you can back your comments up with actual observations and data, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Straight from Alfa Romeo;

A=ADVANCED EFFICIENCY enables the cylinder deactivation to maximize energy savings and dynamic efficiency

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Hey Alfa Giulia experts,

When using the A (adaptive) setting, please clarify if this is intended for maximum mileage, adaptive traction or something else. My dealership told me one thing, the forum has mentioned another and the manual states a third point of view.

Someone from the Alfa insiders please answer this question. if you can back your comments up with actual observations and data, I would appreciate it.
It depends somewhat on if you have QV or standard Giulia. For the standard Giulia Advanced Efficiency mode apparently allows the car to coast down hills, keeps the car in top gear longer when going up hills, and makes the car upshift at lower RPMs. It is not clear if it also does any cylinder deactivation. Forum contributors have reported up to 40MPG in A mode at a constant 70MPH, although the average report is more like 36MPG (still far better than the EPA rating--the EPA tests in either D or N mode).

With the QV A mode definitely allows cylinder deactivation. It is not clear to me if it also enables the coasting feature seen with the standard Giulia.

I expect that A mode helps with both city and highway fuel economy. I was told that the manual recommends A mode for driving on ice or snow because the gentler shifts are less likely to cause loss of traction.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Cylinder deactivation is only possible in the V6.

Differences in Advanced Efficiency from Natural mode are:

- on open differential versions, Torque Transfer Control is turned off;
- different shift points;
- sailing is enabled;
- when pressing resume for cruise control, less torque is applied.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
In practice I can very clear tell that the car is less responsive and less fun in A mode, but am hard pressed to see ANY improvement in fuel economy compared to N mode. I actually think A affects the torque available from the motor and somehow going up gentle inclined this results in slight worse economy. Is this possible?

·
Registered
160 Posts
In practice I can very clear tell that the car is less responsive and less fun in A mode, but am hard pressed to see ANY improvement in fuel economy compared to N mode. I actually think A affects the torque available from the motor and somehow going up gentle inclined this results in slight worse economy. Is this possible?
The potential fuel savings occur only when the car is accelerating or coasting. So you won't see much difference in highway (constant speed) driving. In city driving the reduced throttle response and quicker upshifts to higher gears should save some fuel assuming you don't override the system by pushing harder on the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cylinder deactivation is only possible in the V6.

Differences in Advanced Efficiency from Natural mode are:

- on open differential versions, Torque Transfer Control is turned off;
- different shift points;
- sailing is enabled;
- when pressing resume for cruise control, less torque is applied.
In addition, on QV:

Max turbo boost is limited, and torque vectoring strategy is different.

Note, cylinder deactivation happens in N mode as well so this isn't exclusive to A mode.

Sailing doesn't seem to be implemented (at least not on UK models), but on coast it will select 8th gear and will coast a significant distance in that configuration, it feels like sailing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts