Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I haven't been pulled over for it yet but I'm wondering what police have said, what reasons were given for not having one, and what outcome was.

Can you guys please share your experiences? I live in Vancouver BC and I'm sure it's different everywhere and depends on cop you get. But I'd love to hear some stories.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I live in New Hampshire, have only been pulled over once.

Cop was very nice, didn't ask why he pulled me over, just stated I was driving above the posted limit. I hand him my license and reg and when he comes back he mentions that I am missing a front plate (at the time) ... I showed him that I had the front plate in the passenger footwell and he said, oh ok, no problem, just get it done.

Around New England, I don't think cops will pull people over JUST for front plate. But if you're driving a little quick and have no front plate, they are much more inclined to pull you over

To me, just not worth it. If you're under 20 years old in NH, you lose your license at the first offense for 20 days, plus the ticket, plus whatever happens to insurance. It was a miracle I didn't receive a ticket, considering it was also the last day of the month ... Since this interaction I slowed it down a bit...Oh and bought a 400 dollar radar detector :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish i had an Alfa at under age 20! At that age I had a Ford Probe GT which I loved so much.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Just received my fine $113 for no front plate....local Police next town over....pulled me over after he drove past me and did a u-turn.
usual conversation....nice fellow...just doing his job I suppose...
and I still don;t have a front plate..LOL.....I just don't drive through that part of the town anymore...LOL

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
Around New England, I don't think cops will pull people over JUST for front plate. But if you're driving a little quick and have no front plate, they are much more inclined to pull you over
Most of the time around here a cop wouldn't bother with a front plate - but the parking meter maids are relentless. So as long as I'm not parking downtown on the street I've never had an issue with any of my cars not having a front plate.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just received my fine $113 for no front plate....local Police next town over....pulled me over after he drove past me and did a u-turn.
usual conversation....nice fellow...just doing his job I suppose...
and I still don;t have a front plate..LOL.....I just don't drive through that part of the town anymore...LOL
Renegade.......:grin2:

I haven't had a front license plate as far as I can remember (in MA) and never had an issue even when stopped for a innocent traffic violation......

Reactions: inikkor

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been pulled over on separate occasions for the following in Boston.

1. Clear plastic cover on rear license plate. Not tinted.. - Stopped in rush hour traffic, no fine, no warning, nothing. Let go.

2. Driving without front plate. I believe it was labor day weekend, potentially cops trying to hit quota. Received a fine. No other violation or infraction cited.

Needless to say I don't mess around with plates anymore...so I'm running the tow hook license plate bracket.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

1. Clear plastic cover on rear license plate. Not tinted.. - Stopped in rush hour traffic, no fine, no warning, nothing. Let go.

2. Driving without front plate. I believe it was labor day weekend, potentially cops trying to hit quota. Received a fine. No other violation or infraction cited.

Needless to say I don't mess around with plates anymore...so I'm running the tow hook license plate bracket.
The Commiewealth

Kidding, from your neighbor to the north

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No Front Plate !!!! Live Free or Die !!! It's in my trunk, with the mount....If and when I get pulled over I'll say I just came from the dealer and going to the detailer to install....and then let the chips fall where they may.....

Reactions: DragonKart

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
CBP officials at crossings in New York state seem to take offense at any car's lack of front plate (perfectly legal for me, thank you Michigan). Isn't that one of the reasons for all those cameras? The Canadians seem cool with it.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Green plate?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nevada is weird. Officially the stance is "You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame." But in actuality they don't care.. much .. **** i even see cars with no rear plates everyday either... so yeah there's that. Mopar itself has nothing for Alfas. Alfa Romeo USA doesn't either, so technically manufacturer doesn't offer one so no required. I haven't been stopped out of state but if I ever am it will be what I tell them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I travel between NY and NJ for work. Not having a front plate is an invitation to get pulled over every week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any experience on how law enforcement in NJ/NY treat a front plate that has a light smoke cover? No smoke cover for the back plate.

I have a vesuvio gray AR and can't stand the bright yellow NJ plate. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any experience on how law enforcement in NJ/NY treat a front plate that has a light smoke cover? No smoke cover for the back plate.

I have a vesuvio gray AR and can't stand the bright yellow NJ plate. Thanks.
NJ plates are a thing of beauty compared to NY's

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Unless you get a Vanity Plate....NY has a great selection of Vanity plates....

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

I haven't been pulled over for it yet but I'm wondering what police have said, what reasons were given for not having one, and what outcome was.

Can you guys please share your experiences? I live in Vancouver BC and I'm sure it's different everywhere and depends on cop you get. But I'd love to hear some stories.
At a red light in Richmond on No.3 I could clearly see the RCMP guy eyeing me from across and I waited for his lights to come on. Lights turned green and he went his way. Probably trying to figure out what kind of car it was. You only have to worry about roadblocks during this season. then you might get a fine otherwise a lot of them dont bother .

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
At a red light in Richmond on No.3 I could clearly see the RCMP guy eyeing me from across and I waited for his lights to come on. Lights turned green and he went his way. Probably trying to figure out what kind of car it was. You only have to worry about roadblocks during this season. then you might get a fine otherwise a lot of them dont bother .
Can you drive down to Point Roberts to request asylum, or will the Mounties intercept you in Tsawwassen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No Front Plate

I have had my Giulia for 5 months with no hassles from the Police. I live in a resort area so the local police tend to not hassles tourists and there are a lot of out of State plates as you might expect.

Further evidence is I also drive a 57 Porsche Speedster replica. If you are not familiar with these vehicles they are not what you think of as a "kit" car. There are 3 US/Can manufacturers and these are very high end cars built from scratch. They range in price from $35k to over $100 depending on the builder and how it is equipped.
The point I am trying to make is they draw a lot of attention to the point of embarrassment. I have had the car for 9 years and not once have I been stopped for the lack of a front plate. It seems most Porsches in CA do not run a front plate to the point that unless you were stopped for some other reason it is unlikely you will be ticketed. I was stopped once because the officer wanted to find out the details of my car.

So far so good with the Giulia. I do get a lot of questions when parked and at lights. Nothing like the Speedster though. It is kind of a nice relief.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts