Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1663 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rear brakes are already shot with just over 13,000 miles. Made a dealership appointment for recall and they are scheduling for five weeks out. Going to DIY the brakes. Ordered a pair of RennStands to make the job easier. I rationalized the expense because I would still be saving hundreds over what a dealership would charge.

The Tesla/Porsche pads fit our application.

I have changed brakes in the past and someone even posted a good DIY: Rear pads for n00bs like me.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
30 Posts
Rear brakes are already shot with just over 13,000 miles. Made a dealership appointment for recall and they are scheduling for five weeks out. Going to DIY the brakes. Ordered a pair of RennStands to make the job easier. I rationalized the expense because I would still be saving hundreds over what a dealership would charge.

The Tesla/Porsche pads fit our application.

I have changed brakes in the past and someone even posted a good DIY: Rear pads for n00bs like me.
Nice. I Have a set of those stands. They are very nice you will enjoy using them.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
333 Posts
Oil change and brake flush..
Nice to be able to poke around under the car.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Aircraft

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, today I fixed my windshield washer hose. I had my '18 Ti Sport at the dealer a couple of months ago to fix the 'mirror issue' that some Giulias have had. They had my car for 3 days or so to order the modules and replace them and also replaced the batteries. I only noticed a couple of weeks ago that my washer fluid wasn't spraying. (I live in CA and it never rains). I could hear the pump working when I pulled the lever, but no spray. Opened the hood, and tested and washer fluid shot all over the engine. It was coming from a gash in the washer hose running along the side of the hood. Only explanation here was that the dealer damaged this when they were working on the mirrors. I took the car to the dealer to look at this and get an oil change. After 3 hours, they told me my oil was finally changed, but they'd need to order the part for the washer hose - which is apparently the entire assembly including the reservoir. They then told me they still needed to find the exact part number and they'd "let me know the cost once they knew" - Uh, what? Apparently my word against theirs on how this thing was damaged.

Well, turns out that 'part' is a few hundred bucks, and add in labor to rip out and replace all that - No idea what the final cost would wind up for something I didn't do.

FF to yesterday. I ordered some hosing and couplers for $6, cut out the gashed section and used a 25 cent coupler to pop the hose back together (there was enough play to not need any new hose). Works a treat.

I really don't like dealers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got my 2019 Giulia Ti back from the Alfa dealer today after a two week service stint for the replacement of the starter relay which caused a random no-start issue. Apparently it wasn't installed properly at the factory and had one of the pins bent. The time to actually repair the relay was only a few hours ... the rest was just waiting in the que due to being short handed at the dealership. Anyway, it's great to have it back!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My first ever track day. 2021 QV with 1800 miles on it and stock. Did a SCCA Track Night in Topeka KS. Absolute blast. Only other experience was BMW M school in 2018. Had 3 x 20 minute sessions after a paced session (novice group). And, I know the first question on everyone's mind is......"what was my gas mileage?" It was 6mpg. In all 3 sessions, never was passed, ran the last 2 sessions in race mode. Blew past anything that started in front of me. Absolute riot. Should have watched my fuel gauge. Blew through a full tank of 100 octane in the 3 sessions (pulled out of the last session with a few minutes left as the gauge was red). And maybe one or two of you wonder if I threw any codes and the answer is "no." Absolutely perfect and a lovely drive home. Can't wait to get to and from work tomorrow so I can wash off all that brake dust and bug juice. Thankful for the PPF and ceramic coat. Ordered a headrest mount so I can get some video next time. Met lots of nice folks as well. All were impressed that I had taken her to the track. She got a lot of attention.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
939 Posts
Can you share your process on this I wanna do the same - thx!
Can you share your process on this I wanna do the same - thx!
Actually quite simple. I put masking tape on the end letters to mark the original location, then I used dental floss (glide) to get under each letter and cut through the foam adhesive. The residue left on the panel was easily removed with a glue eraser:

Eraser Wheel

Material property Data storage device Circle Font Electronics accessory

I used alcohol to clean the area after wheeling the residue off, then positioned the new way-better-than-black chrome GIULIA badge on the tape marks. Done.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When enough is enough.

After 16 weeks of not even starting Giulia, the last 12 of which were due to a COVID-19 lockdown, I disconnected the trickle charger, climbed into the driver’s seat, pressed the red start button, waited for the press brake indicator to show, put my foot on the brake pedal and pressed the red button again. She started instantly, with a clap of thunder; no misfires, no undue shaking, just that glorious sound. I immediately engaged ’N’ and gently drove off (no, the handbrake wasn’t engaged). First stop, the local petrol station to inflate her tyres, 38psi front 34psi rear (normally a little less). Again she started effortlessly, with less aggression this time, and we began our ‘within five kilometre radius’ journey.

Initially, until fluids warmed, we cruised in auto ’N’ and then, at the appropriate time, we switched to manual ’D’ to more readily enable the glorious sounds of open flaps, and who, pray tell, doesn’t like open flaps :). At ten to fifteen minutes in, we switched to ‘R’, ESC off, full time open flaps, and then the real fun began. Turning left into a stream of highway traffic she politely wiggled her rear while creating exhilarating sounds, ahh such joy. We continued in this way, often pulling 6000rpm in lower gears for the next thirty-five to forty minutes; cobwebs gone. Then, cool down, back to auto ’N’ for the next five to ten, and back into the garage; 40 odd kilometres, 60 minutes. Back on the trickle charger until lockdown ends.

Then we’ll be off for an extended run along The Oxley Highway

2017 Quadrifoglio, 68000 trouble free kilometres.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When enough is enough.

After 16 weeks of not even starting Giulia, the last 12 of which we’re due to a COVID-19 lockdown, I disconnected the trickle charger, climbed into the driver’s seat, pressed the red start button, waited for the press brake indicator to show, put my foot on the brake pedal and pressed the red button again. She started instantly, with a crack of thunder; no misfires, no undue shaking, just that glorious sound. I immediately engaged ’N’ and gently drove off (no, the park brake wasn’t engaged). First stop, the local petrol station to inflate her tyres, 38psi front 34psi rear (normally a little less). Again she started effortlessly, with less aggression this time, and we began our ‘within five kilometre radius’ journey.

Initially, until fluids warmed, we cruised in auto ’N’ and then, at the appropriate time, we switched to manual ’D’ to more readily enable the glorious sounds of open flaps, and who, pray tell, doesn’t like open flaps :). At ten to fifteen minutes in, we switched to ‘R’, ESC off, full time open flaps, and then the real fun began. Turning left into a stream of highway traffic she politely wiggled her rear while creating exhilarating sounds, ahh such joy. We continued in this way, often pulling 6000rpm in lower gears for the next thirty-five to forty minutes; cobwebs gone. Then, cool down, back to auto ’N’ for the next five to ten, and back into the garage; 40 odd kilometres, 60 minutes. Back on the trickle charger until lockdown ends.

Then we’ll be off for an extended run along The Oxley Highway

2017 Quadrifoglio, 68000 trouble free kilometres.
So do you author or read a lot of a particular type of novel that one might pick up while waiting in the grocery line? Just kidding. Great post and fun to read. Glad you got the time out there. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
723 Posts
Finished prepping car for a race weekend next week at Summit Point. I have done the following:
  • Set of Bridgestone RE71R in 245/40
  • Tarox F2000 rotors (1 piece)
  • Raybestos ST-43 pads
  • Motul RBF 660 fluid
  • Removed front dust shields
  • Front and rear differential fluid, transfer case fluid

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Light
Tire Wheel Car Window Vehicle

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,308 Posts
Reactions: Drew

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,308 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,308 Posts
Hows the color on the rear rotors? Consistent?
Actually, from the photo, it appears that it's doing the same thing as what my ST-45 pads did. You should check on that. I'm assuming you got them from Alfissimo / Porterfield?

1601 - 1620 of 1663 Posts