Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1374 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
470 Posts
Did spark plugs and oil change. Don't know when plugs were done, if at all. The old ones looked fine though.

Oil was black after supposed 6k/9 months. Glad I did it. Got the oil and filter and plugs from Dodge/Jeep dealer around the corner.

Can anyone identify this bolt? Was embedded in my undertray, but don't see where it could go. Maybe just picked up from the road?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Updated Infotainment Map and Firmware. Android Auto is working now. Yeah!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Got to drive this new MY20 around for a few days. It got a lot of looks being bright red... I even caught a college girl taking some photos of it. It was mostly used to run the kids back and forth to school, so I left it in N and took it easy. Nice, but I don't think stock and tame are how Alfa Romeo's are supposed to be driven.

My Alfa was at the dealership for a final check before the warranty ends in June. They found the coolant leak I'd been smelling since last summer. They covered a radiator replacement as well as the fluids. That's only the second repair needed in 26k miles. The other was the turbo O-ring. I'd reckon that cooling systems are more of an issue out here in AZ than most places though. After four years, there haven't been any other issues with it.

This sets me up for my next mod. I've had the Squadra tune waiting on the sidelines for a bit now. I've changed my setup around a bit ahead this. I'm not sure when I'll get around to actually installing it though. It's getting hot out here already and that makes it hard to wrench.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,083 Posts
Changed engine oil yesterday.
Changed LSD fluid today. Only 5000 miles on the diff, see picture of drained oil below.
Installed the rear suspension sensor, step one of getting headlight autolevel working. I've been working on this for nearly 2 years. The rear requires drilling and tapping two holes in the right lower suspension arm. The correct bracket may vary with production date and model in use (I have a Sept 2017 built NAFTA spec MY2018 Q4 with performance pack). The front requires tapping an existing suspension hole, plus modifying the sensor mounting bracket. It appears that the NAFTA front cross member is not really designed to allow for mounting of the sensor bracket.
Update on autolevel: The wiring diagram says that the sensors are fed 5 V so the reading should be between 0 and 5V, and nominally 2.5V. That means that the rear sensor is working perfectly and the front sensor is not. I even tested this by jacking up the car and see that the rear sensor reading is consistent (reading changes a lot) while the front is not (reading changes only slightly). Most likely fault is that the dirty and therefore hard to assemble front sensor connector is not making proper contact on the 5V feed, although that feed also goes through a connector in the dashboard <sigh>.

The wiring diagram says this about the sensor connector

Pin 1 is ground
Pin 4 is sensor out (the sensor is simply a potentiometer)
Pin 5 is +5V which comes from the same place as the +5V for the rear sensor, but of course via different wires and that likely difficult to access connector in the dash.

If I read the charts correctly the body side of the sensor connector should be held with the "key" at the upper right, then the pins count left-right, top-bottom 123, 456

The connector in the dash is inline body/HDLP dash 2 which seems to be buried behind the right side foot well kick panel if I am reading the chart correctly.

More on this when I get back to a location with more tools.

Oh, and I put my "summer" tires back on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found a P2510 ECM/PCM Power Relay Sense Circuit Range/Performance fault. No CEL.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
470 Posts
Had an autocross today. Car did excellent in race mode. Really need to get better tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Working on breaking in my Trofeo White QV in.. drove about 100 miles today so I have about 400 miles on it.... need to get to over 1500 miles to being officially broken in

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,525 Posts
Hi JeFizz
I measured 14 1/4” as requested.
How does this compare to yours? I would like to try oem qv front springs for kicks but don’t feel like doing the job again let alone twice more if I didn’t like it. As for now, the centerline springs feel good. My only res is perhaps too little drop in front solely based on visual but need camber readings to make final determinations bc excessive negative camber wear on tires sucks especially in conjunction with excessively bottoming out.
oof, I'm at about 15-1/2" The QV front springs are probably going to be quite a bit stiffer due to the larger engine in the QV. I'd be weary of them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
oof, I'm at about 15-1/2" The QV front springs are probably going to be quite a bit stiffer due to the larger engine in the QV. I'd be weary of them.
The QV springs feel great imo. Not super stiff at all, improves and limits any body roll. In race I get less wheel spin on corner exit. With the stiffer active dampener setting, the car really drives out of corners really well and mostly neutral unless u really goose it. Just added race too so the stiffer active works even better as a better match than stock giulia w active yet no race.
On bumpy roads just flick the active to soft and ride feels the same. I do wonder about engine weight differential between 2.0 vs 2.9 but overall weight diff is approx 3715 (QV) vs 3805(Q4 sr) front to rear close to 50/50. I saw non roof listed at 3615. So sun roof vs cf is huge difference. Overall I’m super happy w QV spring choice!! Ride height excellent in form and function and less rake. Centerline springs only $191 delivered.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
470 Posts
@Callisto Ok so the QV springs are less drop than the regular ones from centerline? I'm with you in that I don't want to slam the car or worry about speed bumps.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,525 Posts
The QV springs feel great imo. Not super stiff at all, improves and limits any body roll. In race I get less wheel spin on corner exit. With the stiffer active dampener setting, the car really drives out of corners really well and mostly neutral unless u really goose it. Just added race too so the stiffer active works even better as a better match than stock giulia w active yet no race.
On bumpy roads just flick the active to soft and ride feels the same. I do wonder about engine weight differential between 2.0 vs 2.9 but overall weight diff is approx 3715 (QV) vs 3805(Q4 sr) front to rear close to 50/50. I saw non roof listed at 3615. So sun roof vs cf is huge difference. Overall I’m super happy w QV spring choice!! Ride height excellent in form and function and less rake. Centerline springs only $191 delivered.
YOu have QV fronts now too? I thought is was only rears.

·
Registered
382 Posts
YOu have QV fronts now too? I thought is was only rears.
Yo...Hi.....sup....yes...first used OEM 18 QV springs to assess ride.(I was ignorant bout 6/17 changeover) oh well.
Twas good so.....went w centerline QV springs although they were clueless on rate but drop was attractive....8”
figured they’ve survived for 1/2 century so roll the dice.
Installed rears first to check height and ride. Perfect!! spent 2 weeks w it.
As for the front.....,
Didnt want too low front bc; negative camber tire wear, bottoming out, crappy look....was concerned might be too low so......purchased shims just in case.
Installed one front, no shim and checked.......realized perhaps too high!
Thought bout cutting the factory pad but didn’t. Let see what pans out.
2 weeks later...,
overall front 1/4 too high imo yet added clearance appreciated.
QV springs w race and active spot on!!
Might cut pads at later date!!
Please excuse length of this discourse as I didnt have time to write a succinct one!
(Abraham Lincoln) sorta of🥴🤔🤣🇮🇹🙏

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,525 Posts
Yo...Hi.....sup....yes...first used OEM 18 QV springs to assess ride.(I was ignorant bout 6/17 changeover) oh well.
Twas good so.....went w centerline QV springs although they were clueless on rate but drop was attractive....8”
figured they’ve survived for 1/2 century so roll the dice.
Installed rears first to check height and ride. Perfect!! spent 2 weeks w it.
As for the front.....,
Didnt want too low front bc; negative camber tire wear, bottoming out, crappy look....was concerned might be too low so......purchased shims just in case.
Installed one front, no shim and checked.......realized perhaps too high!
Thought bout cutting the factory pad but didn’t. Let see what pans out.
2 weeks later...,
overall front 1/4 too high imo yet added clearance appreciated.
QV springs w race and active spot on!!
Might cut pads at later date!!
Please excuse length of this discourse as I didnt have time to write a succinct one!
(Abraham Lincoln) sorta of🥴🤔🤣🇮🇹🙏
Pics would be great when you have a chance.

Reactions: Drew

·
Registered
382 Posts
@Callisto Front 1/4" too high compared to the rear? 1/4" higher than stock Q4 springs?
Good question! Ideally I like the wheel centered in the well all things being equal if ride height was enough for enough ground clearance, in spec negative camber towards max, centered wheel etc...With that in mind, I do run 235/40 and 265/35 so tires slightly taller and fill the well more as a purposeful optic w function towards overall height and less gap.
decided to break out calipers.
The rears pretty centered and gap to tire (where tread blocks end on sidewall) to fender 60 mm. The fronts higher than centered by 3/8” and gap 85mm
so.....????.....1/2” or 12 mm is the call.🤔😕🥴🤣🇮🇹🙏
I could take the fronts out and grind down the pad on a belt sander to get close but....

Attachments

1341 - 1360 of 1374 Posts