Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Sport, 1976 Alfetta GT, 2013 Soul +
8 Posts
Today was it's first wash. OMG, look at that old dirty wash mitt !! Spent 5 minutes washing the mitt in hot soapy water. (Gotta get a new one for the "new" car tomorrow.)
Ohhhhhh, how nice it is hand washing the car. Neat curves. Ohhhhhh . . . . .

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
692 Posts
Too close to that curb. That's what gets the right rear wheel scratched. I get it to be parked that way to avoid the dents on the doors. Love the bright 5-hole wheels.
I setup the third seat memory to lower the side view mirrors so I can watch the wheels when I park. (y)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Morning all. Replaced the rusted caliper bolts. Added a new flavor to the center console.
cheers!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Sport, 1976 Alfetta GT, 2013 Soul +
8 Posts
Hit the century mark on the speedo without even trying. Geeeee, this Giulia seems to be quicker than my 76 Alfetta.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm currently planning out A) digging for the stock airbox in stroage B) going from the EC V2 to V1 setup w/ BMC filter C) removing the piggy back and the D) adding the Squadra tune.

My issues.... 5 weeks into the new house and I've had A) no heat for the first week B) no toilets for the first week C) gas leak D) no gas / heat for two weeks E) no toilets again! I'm not sure I can handle the stress of working on the Alfa just yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did a 200 mile drive through some pretty rural parts of Nj yesterday with my buddy that has a 2012 SRT8. My Giulia got dirty quickly so this morning I took her to get a car wash!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Installed downpipes with high flow cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are those car stands put at the jack lift blocks of the car or somewhere else?. I'm asking because it is always my problem when I am lifting the car to change the winter/summer tires and the floor jack is put on the car's lift blocks (I have the traditional stands)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are those car stands put at the jack lift blocks of the car or somewhere else?. I'm asking because it is always my problem when I am lifting the car to change the winter/summer tires and the floor jack is put on the car's lift blocks (I have the traditional stands)
Yes those are SafeJack stands. They aren’t the ideal solution, because the Giulia is too low to get the cross bar of the jackstand on the jack pad and underneath. I usually do a convoluted process where I jack up the front and put it on ramps, then put the SafeJack cross bar on my jack and lift it the desired height.

For the downpipe installation, it is not a difficult job—in fact it is cake compared to other downpipes I have installed, but there are some challenges. It took me around 5 hours taking my time.

The way the downpipes mate to the turbo is genius and should be the industry norm. Just one v-band type clamp, that is very accessible (you can give it the reach around by putting your arm through the wheel well to get a wrench on the clamp). No crappy old studs with copper nuts that fuse together then break off.

At the other end there is only the exhaust clamp to separate the downpipe from the exhaust system. You don’t have to drop the exhaust but it is helpful if you remove the forward most exhaust hanger on each side. It will give you space to separate the pipes. The easiest way I found to get the pipes apart is by loosening the clamp on the exhaust and then tapping on it with a rubber mallet to drive the exhaust pipe off the downpipe.

The fiddly part is the o2 sensor wiring. The wires run from the cowl area down the back of the engine to the downpipes. Each o2 sensor has 3 or 4 plastic clips that are hard to reach and even more difficult to open. I found using a two foot long screwdriver, I could pop the clips opened—they are easy to close with one hand.
So I wouldn’t have to fish the wiring harness, I left the wires there and then from below unscrewed the o2 sensors. (Unscrewing the sensors twists the wire, unless they are unplugged and free of all clips to just rotate in place. Hence the reason to unclip the o2 wiring. ). Once the o2 sensors are out the pipe comes right out. Installation of the new pipes is the reverse of removal.

As far as the sound.... I have the Akrapovic exhaust so it was already louder than factory, but the downpipes dial it up a couple of notches. It is more raspy—I know that is not everyone’s thing but I like it. The pops and crackles on upshifts and down shifts are crisper (and louder). The few drives I have taken since installing I have enjoyed how it sounds, but it isn’t my daily. On the highway I needed to close the exhaust valves if I wanted to hear my music, but instead I turned off the music so I could enjoy the V6 symphony. (I have the Forza).

I’m happy with how everything came out and enjoy the sound. But being significantly louder than stock, it is nice to be able to close the flaps and, for the most part, blend in with traffic when I want to.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Yes those are SafeJack stands. They aren’t the ideal solution, because the Giulia is too low to get the cross bar of the jackstand on the jack pad and underneath. I usually do a convoluted process where I jack up the front and put it on ramps, then put the SafeJack cross bar on my jack and lift it the desired height.

For the downpipe installation, it is not a difficult job—in fact it is cake compared to other downpipes I have installed, but there are some challenges. It took me around 5 hours taking my time.

The way the downpipes mate to the turbo is genius and should be the industry norm. Just one v-band type clamp, that is very accessible (you can give it the reach around by putting your arm through the wheel well to get a wrench on the clamp). No crappy old studs with copper nuts that fuse together then break off.

At the other end there is only the exhaust clamp to separate the downpipe from the exhaust system. You don’t have to drop the exhaust but it is helpful if you remove the forward most exhaust hanger on each side. It will give you space to separate the pipes. The easiest way I found to get the pipes apart is by loosening the clamp on the exhaust and then tapping on it with a rubber mallet to drive the exhaust pipe off the downpipe.

The fiddly part is the o2 sensor wiring. The wires run from the cowl area down the back of the engine to the downpipes. Each o2 sensor has 3 or 4 plastic clips that are hard to reach and even more difficult to open. I found using a two foot long screwdriver, I could pop the clips opened—they are easy to close with one hand.
So I wouldn’t have to fish the wiring harness, I left the wires there and then from below unscrewed the o2 sensors. (Unscrewing the sensors twists the wire, unless they are unplugged and free of all clips to just rotate in place. Hence the reason to unclip the o2 wiring. ). Once the o2 sensors are out the pipe comes right out. Installation of the new pipes is the reverse of removal.

As far as the sound.... I have the Akrapovic exhaust so it was already louder than factory, but the downpipes dial it up a couple of notches. It is more raspy—I know that is not everyone’s thing but I like it. The pops and crackles on upshifts and down shifts are crisper (and louder). The few drives I have taken since installing I have enjoyed how it sounds, but it isn’t my daily. On the highway I needed to close the exhaust valves if I wanted to hear my music, but instead I turned off the music so I could enjoy the V6 symphony. (I have the Forza).

I’m happy with how everything came out and enjoy the sound. But being significantly louder than stock, it is nice to be able to close the flaps and, for the most part, blend in with traffic when I want to.

Many thanks for the detailed and forth-right info, puts it all into perspective for me.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Rolled over to 50,000 miles during lunch today... still true love.

Reactions: -ds-

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hit 15,000 miles earlier in the the week and it is a beautiful spring evening so time for an oil change (I do them at 5k mile internals).

Reactions: mtb.ck

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Just reached 30,000 miles and replaced the engine air filter.

It was surprisingly not too dirty:

Not dirty at all considering 30k miles.

1281 - 1300 of 1317 Posts