Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q4 Misano Blue
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just love to hear from some fellow Alfisti and stories about cars they have gone up against. Please post if your car is stock, mod or QV. Shoutout to @Twissle for the idea of this post. I pick up mine on Monday so I may have a story to provide :p.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,735 Posts
Race? What is this race of which you speak, and why would I admit to doing it?

·
Registered
336 Posts
There's this on-ramp I take when going home from work every day. It's a long, tight, decreasing radius, shifting camber, bumpy, downhill right hander. I definitely don't race, but if there's a car behind me when I get on the ramp, suddenly they're not there when I get to the bottom...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would just love to hear from some fellow Alfisti and stories about cars they have gone up against. Please post if your car is stock, mod or QV. Shoutout to @Twissle for the idea of this post. I pick up mine on Monday so I may have a story to provide :p.
Ha! I never used to race until I got the Giulia and actually I wouldn't use the word race. I was simply passing 2 slower cars in a safe and controlled manner! And to make a safe pass the more power you have at your disposal the better.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I don't race but I've had fun with what I think was a carrera 4s and an sl55 amg but it was hard to tell because both were in the rear view mirror.
Then there was a q50 that passed me and stayed ahead. I guess he didn't see the cop up ahead.

Reactions: August

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
268 Posts
Took the QF out today for a short trip to the store and on my way back home a C63 comes roaring up behind me, backing off, then roaring up again. Through residential streets. Like 25 mph residential streets. No, I didn't take the bait, but I did execute the rev-downshift-pop trick and it worked perfectly, nice gunshot into the guy's face. As I turned left down my street he continued straight and I heard him floor it and redline through at least 2 shifts. On a 25 mph residential street, I'm sure this asshole hit well over 60 mph, what an imbecile. Don't be THAT guy...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't race because I don't want my insurance to go up more (20-something male with previous tickets). However I did go hooning with a friend who has a Camaro SS. We were in an industrial park with some curvy roads and roundabouts. I was able to keep up by redlining the whole way :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,735 Posts
I am curious to see whether my 124 Spider attracts as many would-be racers as my Giulia. An Audi S4 put on a nice show for me on Saturday. Are you really that threatened/in need to show off, dude?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have noticed since changing to the Vesuvio Quad from the earlier 2.0 base model, pretty much every drive I have been on, I get cars up my backside trying to show off or else along side me on dual carriageways on the other lane trying to race me. Mostly souped up boy racers in Ford Fiestas and Civic Type R's or BMWs, occasionally a fast Audi, Tesla and once a Subaru Impreza WRX with a massive spoiler. I ignore most of them within town, but on the fast dual lanes I just put my foot down and left the BMW and the Impreza in the wake. Just the downshift exhaust pop was sufficient for them to leave me alone. People certainly seem to be threatened by the Quad. With the Tesla it was at lights and I just made a few exhaust pops with the flaps open and then as the lights went green, I did a Kimi Raikonnen, "...after you dear Mr.Milk Float" :cool:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I think sometimes you get car guys who are not necessarily trying to race but just want to see the car perform because they are fans. Just like if I pulled up on a mclaren 720s in my QV. I have no shot in a race but would want to see him hit it a little for real world comparison. I see it often with wrx or focus st guys. Many BMW guys also who have seen the car on YouTube and want to compare.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I had my Superformance 427 Cobra replica, with a stout near 500 hp engine, sometimes I would be alongside some turbo car, and since they took a second to spool up, and I had instant acceleration, I could jump out say from 70 to 90, and about the time their turbo would spool, I could slow down and let them go by. The advantage of a non-turbo power plant was instant acceleration.

Once had a few roll-ons with a Vette, maybe 70 to 90 or so on an interstate, and we waved to one another as he took an exit. Just then, a High Way patrol came up fast behind, me, and I just knew he had me, and it was going to be bad. So I slowed and pulled over to the shoulder, and he went on past me. He had not seen us. From that moment on, I vowed to never do that again, and haven't. Just too dangerous and a threat to my insurance and license. I usually drive my Quad with the Forza controller "on", and the sound is enough for me. At my 73 years of age, I don't need to prove anything about myself or my car anymore.

Be safe out there.... NV

·
Registered
25 Posts
It definitely seems like lots of people are trying to race me since I got my Giulia. Usually kids in stock Lancers who wouldn't have a chance...not worth the effort/risk.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
268 Posts
Just like if I pulled up on a mclaren 720s in my QV. I have no shot in a race but would want to see him hit it a little for real world comparison.
Speaking of McLarens, one day coming back from Alice's on 280 south a guy in a McLaren came up behind me, then drove around and gave me a big thumbs up as he passed. I guess he liked the QF...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts