Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving to soccer, pulled up at intersection, accelerating from start uphill. (stop start was off) then there was a huge (like someone had run up the rear of car) jolt from what felt like the transmission.
Warnings were: airbag warning, check dampers, check transmission, service engine, stop start unavailable.
Car limped around the corner
Froze at lights.

Transmission then wouldn’t engage. Car wouldn’t go into gear. Managed to get into neutral. Car switched into N mode by itself. My mate pushed the car round the corner. Stopped the car. Started the car. Warning: check transmission
Check engine. Start stop unavailable. Drove to soccer game- (couple of blocks) in limp mode.

After game etc., went to drive car home. Started, Still engine warning, Start stop unavailable. Check transmission.
Drove down the street again
Car shuddered again (not as bad this time , then transmission failed. All manner of warnings came up. Car basically bricked itself- luckily I was in a quiet area. Was saying park brake unavailable.
Electric’s went crazy. Could not actually turn off the car. Transmission would not engage.
Disconnected the battery, checked engine etc.

Reconnected the battery, the car went, well the best description would be like a robot losing its mind. Actual physical things like the brake pedal jerking back violently, loud warning sounds, headlights strobing. The actual start button wouldn’t turn the car off again. Had to disconnect battery. Checked the engine bay and poked around with my mate who knows a bit about cars.

Service arrived. He connected his (jump) battery and the engine started. He cleared warnings. We connected the car battery and the car went nuts again. He replaced the battery with another heavy duty battery and the car started normally but with a few warnings. Reset steering and AST warning still appeared. He said that a battery of that size (which was the previous Roadside Assist replaced) should last at least 3-4 years. Proceeded to drive home. AST warning still. Car would not go into A or D mode. Got home, reset steering again and restarted. Car able to change modes, and no warnings.

There was a big “transmission” engagement about 2- 3 weeks before (not as bad, and with no warning messages), and after was showing a bit of jerkiness since on occasions in first gear. Slight, but I’ve noticed. I do think there’s something slightly physically off recently with the transmission.

Other thing the other morning, the rear demister didn’t work. Nothing else to report.
Anyway, the problem with this is that after all the hassle with the TCM debacle, is that what happened is actually dangerous. The jolt in the transmission was really violent, and the car “bricking” itself is really dangerous in traffic. What if I was pulling in front of a truck on the freeway? A brand new car shouldn’t do this, let alone an $80,000 one. I’m feeling concerned.

PS
Today drove around like nothing had ever happened - tested her out. All normal.

Alfatech if you’re around I’d love to hear if you’ve had anything similar?

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those symptoms sound absolutely crazy! Hope you get some solid diagnostics and get to the root cause of this.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those symptoms sound absolutely crazy! Hope you get some solid diagnostics and get to the root cause of this.

Juz
It was almost surreal. Potentially dangerous through. If it’s from a (another) bad battery then what’s causing the drain? And, if a low battery can do something like this, then why the **** doesn’t the car give a low battery warning? She’s going into the shop.

Drove around today like last night was a bad dream. I love her, I hate her, I love her.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm starting to long for the good old days before electronic transmissions, brakes, door locks, stop/start, etc. The systems engineers need to give a lot more thought to what happens when stuff fails. I wonder what happens if the electric power fails when the car is running at high speed. No brakes? No parking brake?

Reactions: hawkeye_a

·
Registered
256 Posts
Man, I hope they sort this out. Keep us posted.

Reactions: 123bjb123

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm starting to long for the good old days before electronic transmissions, brakes, door locks, stop/start, etc. The systems engineers need to give a lot more thought to what happens when stuff fails. I wonder what happens if the electric power fails when the car is running at high speed. No brakes? No parking brake?

Too true. It was like a robot losing its mind. First robot law. Don’t hurt human. Like I say, if this is caused by a low battery, then that should be the first warning. ‘Cause its a shock when it happens and you’re driving a 1.5 tonne brick on wheels.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The brake system while drive by wire still has the pedal mechanically linked to the tandem hydraulic pump...no electrical power you would lose brake boost but not the brakes themselves.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,441 Posts
Scary. I hope it never happens again (though the doubt will likely always linger), but if it does be sure to capture video. My imagination is conjuring up visions of poltergeist-like brake pedal and a headlamp activity. Wonky computers can make devices appear possessed.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scary. I hope it never happens again (though the doubt will likely always linger), but if it does be sure to capture video. My imagination is conjuring up visions of poltergeist-like brake pedal and a headlamp activity. Wonky computers can make devices appear possessed.

Chipshot, me too. I’ll get the shop
to run diagnostics, I’ve searched the forums and there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent set of circumstances. Anyone here heard of similar?

I’ve been flogging the thing over the last couple of days, and there is not one wobble, jolt, sound- nothin’. Maybe it is the battery, which begs the question of what drained the last one?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All fixed.
Just picked up the car from Leichhardt Autosports who have just run diagnostics etc, and determine that the problem was battery related. So, the battery they put in 3 months ago (that caused the trouble this last weekend) was either wrong or faulty, and the battery they replaced that one with on the weekend was also wrong. He’s said there was a stack of diagnostic records by the ECM of battery fault/low battery.

Checked the transmission, and the transmission fluid, and nothing to report there. No power leaks to the current, proper Alfa battery.

He said Alfa initially had a batch of bad batteries which caused trouble, but other than that they've had nothing major go wrong with any Giulia at all (and they service quite a lot of them). Except for mine of course with my transmission chip problem earlier. He said the cars are really picky about the batteries they put in them.

I called the Roadside Assist people and told of the problem and referred them to my guy at Autosports.

So if a roadside assist guy offers you to lump in any old battery make sure it's the proper one for the Giulia.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good to hear, what's the brand and model they used for this battery replacement? Something that can be sourced locally?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Juz
I’ll find out and post mate.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,172 Posts

I too would prefer non-electric brakes, transmission, hand-brake, etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too would prefer non-electric brakes, transmission, hand-brake, etc.

I would certainly have preferred it last Saturday.

·
Registered
857 Posts
All fixed.
Just picked up the car from Leichhardt Autosports who have just run diagnostics etc, and determine that the problem was battery related. So, the battery they put in 3 months ago (that caused the trouble this last weekend) was either wrong or faulty, and the battery they replaced that one with on the weekend was also wrong. He’s said there was a stack of diagnostic records by the ECM of battery fault/low battery.

Checked the transmission, and the transmission fluid, and nothing to report there. No power leaks to the current, proper Alfa battery.

He said Alfa initially had a batch of bad batteries which caused trouble, but other than that they've had nothing major go wrong with any Giulia at all (and they service quite a lot of them). Except for mine of course with my transmission chip problem earlier. He said the cars are really picky about the batteries they put in them.

I called the Roadside Assist people and told of the problem and referred them to my guy at Autosports.

So if a roadside assist guy offers you to lump in any old battery make sure it's the proper one for the Giulia.

I'm glad that you got it fixed!! Very scary indeed..... I would be curious to know exactly what that proper battery looks like (make, markings, capacity, etc..) so everyone can check to see if they have the "right" battery. Any chance you have the information, or could snap a photo of it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From Shadi, the service manager here at Leichhardt Autosport in Sydney

“The battery rating is 680 CCA/80AH
Current manufacturer is Delkor”

·
Registered
204 Posts
From Shadi, the service manager here at Leichhardt Autosport in Sydney

“The battery rating is 680 CCA/80AH
Current manufacturer is Delkor”

Thanks mate! Did a search on the Delkor site on the specs above, and by entering the Giulia 2.0, and the exact part number should be this one : Delkor EFB LN4-80EFB.

https://www.delkor.com.au/en-au/products/delkor-efb-batteries/ln4-80efb

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Excellent! Good work guys and way to hang in there 123bjb!

I really hope all the engineers get serious about batteries and electrical systems. What if this kind of failure and bad production run effected Teslas or hybrids? Come on now, you are right there should be better battery warnings. I can say that I have had a run of bad luck with batteries for the Miata. I replaced one Bosch battery over a winter and put the new one in with a trickle charger and heater blanket for outside storage, only to find that one cooked and puffed out like a marshmallow in the spring after daily driving! It turned out the real problem I was having with cold starts was shorts in the injector harness dropping fuel. But yeah, the shorts also draw down battery voltage! The shorts were caused by wear and tear on the boost harness which was routed around the center console housing and into the glove box over the door edge. Both edges wore through the insulation from the vibration and shock of our crappy roads and my stage one suspension coilovers. So this makes me worry about the harness around the transmission and battery and all things electrical on the Giulia. I mean seriously, the stuff is not titanium rod! You have to respect and use your head when dealing with soft plastics and tiny wires. Crush one or snap one and it could be a nightmare to fix. And if the whole battery is crap, please give us an idea! The whole car could use a kill switch just like the dumb autostop feature. Those starters will blow up and cost way more than any gas savings at the pump ;)

Reactions: 123bjb123

·
Registered
204 Posts
This made me remember something interesting. My old Alfa 156 didn't have a battery warning either, and the battery would die unexpectedly. A method someone taught me that was pretty spot on in letting me know if the battery was potentially going south (e.g. symptoms of voltage dropping excessively during delivery of the cranking amps) was to turn the key first to ACC (accessories), the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights would come on the dash, then wait for it to clear itself after diagnostics (1-2 seconds). Then start the car. If the battery was in good condition and could hold it voltage during the crank, the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights would remain off during the start. If the voltage dipped too much, you would see the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights come back on again, restart the diagnostic cycle and clear itself again. Not sure if this will be similarly visible on the Giulia but the theory is sound. What I do is:

1) Push the start/stop button without the foot on the brake.
2) Warning lights come on the dash. The ABS/Brake/ESC on the right dial comes on, and clears itself.
3) Foot on brake pedal and start the car
4) So far my ABS/Brake/ESC lights remain off during the crank - potentially indicating that the battery is healthy and holding its voltage under cranking stress.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has the ABS/Brake/ESC lights come back on in step 4.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
This made me remember something interesting. My old Alfa 156 didn't have a battery warning either, and the battery would die unexpectedly. A method someone taught me that was pretty spot on in letting me know if the battery was potentially going south (e.g. symptoms of voltage dropping excessively during delivery of the cranking amps) was to turn the key first to ACC (accessories), the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights would come on the dash, then wait for it to clear itself after diagnostics (1-2 seconds). Then start the car. If the battery was in good condition and could hold it voltage during the crank, the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights would remain off during the start. If the voltage dipped too much, you would see the ABS/Brake/ESC warning lights come back on again, restart the diagnostic cycle and clear itself again. Not sure if this will be similarly visible on the Giulia but the theory is sound. What I do is:

1) Push the start/stop button without the foot on the brake.
2) Warning lights come on the dash. The ABS/Brake/ESC on the right dial comes on, and clears itself.
3) Foot on brake pedal and start the car
4) So far my ABS/Brake/ESC lights remain off during the crank - potentially indicating that the battery is healthy and holding its voltage under cranking stress.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has the ABS/Brake/ESC lights come back on in step 4.
The Intelligent Battery Sensor is supposed to measure this and signal the result in some fashion to another module (BCM?). I wonder if a direct readout is possible?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts