Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, both me and my friend noticed some kind of a rubbing noise at full wheel lock and moving (like you would do when parking) in our Giulias both RWD mine has 18” his has 17” both stock and brand new.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Is there anything less satisfying than hearing "they all do that"? Some forum participants report less noise after switching tire brands.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it's typical of the steering geometry of the car. A little compromise in the parking lot to have the sharp precise steering of the Giulia.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...sues-problems/8953-giulia-steering-issue.html
Can’t open the link, just takes me to the home page

Is there anything less satisfying than hearing "they all do that"? Some forum participants report less noise after switching tire brands.
Lol at least we all suffer together... I mean I rather have that “noise” and better sharper steering performance to be honest

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Was it a popping and thumping, grabbing sound, along with the same sensation in the steering wheel? Then yes it IS normal and due to the steering geometry. I think it is due to toe in and hub deflection progression as you get to full lock. Tires start as this / \ when centered. Then move to this at full lock \ | or | / but with more angle either way. The point is the tires are not parallel and in fact get to a point where they stick and rub or hop across the ground rather then roll smoothly along an arc. But at speed and with normal steering it is divine ;)

Reactions: hirobmay

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
Was it a popping and thumping, grabbing sound, along with the same sensation in the steering wheel? Then yes it IS normal and due to the steering geometry. I think it is due to toe in and hub deflection progression as you get to full lock. Tires start as this / \ when centered. Then move to this at full lock \ | or | / but with more angle either way. The point is the tires are not parallel and in fact get to a point where they stick and rub or hop across the ground rather then roll smoothly along an arc. But at speed and with normal steering it is divine ;)
I believe that when going around a turn the wheels should not be parallel as they are following curves with different radii. The correct relationship between the wheel angles even changes as the vehicle "turns in" and the rear wheel "off tracking" changes.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Most performance cars will to some degree, it's an element of responsive steering. I wonder if the new Giorgio chassis with those tall arm risers on the front spindles has anything to do with it. I would LOVE a good analysis of the chassis and suspension. And no I don't mean a high speed fancy blow by of the articulation in 3D, I mean a good step by step, angle by angle review. But of course, this could be proprietary and we'd have to check for ourselves. ;)

Yup lockem, I notice it most when going back and forth to zig zag out of my garage. It's a little disconcerting when I am inching along in A mode trying to avoid ice and slipping, to have the front end POP and THUMP as it turns a bit. My heart jumps and I jump on the brake to control the car. Then I have to lightly stab the throttle to get it moving again. Once spring comes and I can pull the Miata in a bit more into the morning shade, (bad in winter) I will have more room. On the road, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't mean to pick on you John but I think it's a tire problem more than a steering geometry issue. I do understand a variety of tires are fitted to our cars.

My car did it very badly, especially when the tires were cold. Since I purchased new tires, the problem went away entirely.

Go figure...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
I wonder whether it's worse with run-flats.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow, well what to you know? Mine is a Quad with the Pirelli Corsas. Maybe it's the compound arrangement between the treads and the sidewalls? Thanks for the info. My 2 Ferraris haven't done this but I have had them on Bridgestones based on their F1 success and Tire Rack sale prices ;) When it warms up, I will have my wheels off to swap the center caps. I will look at my springs then, just to be sure nothing is out of place or left behind from shipping ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good thread... I guess is "normal"
I have run flats BSW AS Performance Tires and its cold here so maybe I got all the worst case scenarios for the noise

·
Registered
526 Posts
I know the Q tires are so sticky when warmed up and not so sticky when cold. It felt like the tires were skittering along the ground when close to lock on cold tires, much worse when really cold outside.

Never figured it would be the same with the other tires so it probably does have something to do with the steering geometry also. Just like my Turbo Esprit.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Some tires are less affected by it because their particular thread/compound allows for some lateral drag without skipping. This non-issue will never stop getting revived...
May be a non-issue to you and others but it is an issue to many unfamiliar with this. It was an issue with me on my Lotus until it was explained to me. My wife thought I had a severe problem the first time she heard it. This thread will keep getting revived because it is not normal at all for most cars.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It is quite common. It had come up on lotus forums I have been on as well as others. Can be caused by geometry (Ackerman effect I think it is called) and with colder tires. Hopefully you can avoid full lock. Just dial back a little from full lock when turning.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes but it is SO interesting. Especially with the new Giorgio chassis. I want to see it all in action! Those tall risers on the front suspension really blow my mind.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts