Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this issue? When fueling up using a pump with a latch (the couple of notches that a lever slots onto holding the handle in so that the pump can fuel while not being held), the fuel pump shuts off after fueling the car up a little more than halfway from almost empty. Trying to fuel up the rest of the way by holding the lever in myself, it continually slows down and shuts off as if I were trying to fill an already-full tank, but when I get in the car and drive off, sure enough it's only a little more than half full. This has now happened twice, at two different gas stations run by two different companies; has never happened to me in any other car, ever.

Also, has anyone figured out how much fuel is left when the range-to-empty stops displaying a number and just goes to dashes instead? It's incredibly aggravating that, at the very moment I need the most detailed info as to my remaining fuel, I get no info at all.

Car is an '18 Ti Lusso AWD, btw.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've never experienced the first issue you listed. As for the second issue, I have 2 other (non FCA) vehicles that do the same thing. As soon as the fuel light comes on, the miles to empty turns to a dash. I'm not sure why, but I think it's fairly common.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
First issue is very probably a problem with evap system on your car, tank is not venting properly when yoi are fueling and air pressure is shutting gas pump off, have it checked by dealer before CI light comes up (also for evap)...

As per fuel level there are couple of very good threads on the board about that and go quite into detail....use search function, they should be easy to find....when the light comes on you are more or less running on fumes...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've never experienced the first issue you listed. As for the second issue, I have 2 other (non FCA) vehicles that do the same thing. As soon as the fuel light comes on, the miles to empty turns to a dash. I'm not sure why, but I think it's fairly common.
Hmmm, my light came on yesterday, but still showed 35 miles to empty. I almost never let it go below half but this empty tank snuck up on me. When I have had the low fuel light come on at a few other times , it will still how many miles left.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I guess one of the "gremlins" in this car is the fuel gauge range. I just don't trust how much gas is in the tank below 1/4 tank so I do my best not to let it get below that. I did go below 1/4 this past weekend and it somewhat freaked me out when it said I had two bars left and then all of a sudden the light went on to state I needed to fuel up (I was coming off the highway).

Reactions: Alfa 1

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does it only happen at this one fuel station?
Does it happen with every fuel pump at this particular fuel station?
Does it happen with any other fuel pump at any other fuel station?

First issue is very probably a problem with evap system on your car
Like you said, it could be a problem with the evaporation emission system. Or it could be an issue with the fuel filler neck/fuel tank or a problem with the fuel dispenser itself.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just don't trust how much gas is in the tank below 1/4 tank.
Not only do I not trust it, but running very low on fuel or heaven forbid you actually run out of fuel can be very bad for the engine. With high-pressure direct injection fuel systems, a loss of fuel pressure due to insufficient fuel reserve can cause all sorts of (potentially very expensive) problems up to and including catastrophic engine damage depending on the circumstances.

But like any good advice teller, "Do as I say and not as I do." I nearly ran the tank empty once by accident. Even though I switched to A mode the miles until empty indicator quickly went from 20 to ---. By the time I pulled into the fuel station, it had been displaying --- for the past 25 miles. When I filled up I put 14.9 gallons in a tank that reportedly has a capacity of 15.3 gallons. It totally reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld, "The Dealership," where Kramer takes a car for a test drive with the salesman and they decide to see how far they can push their luck. And as they say, there are two types of people in this world. This scenario is a near weekly occurrence for my wife. :grin2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it only happen at this one fuel station?
Does it happen with every fuel pump at this particular fuel station?
Does it happen with any other fuel pump at any other fuel station?.
Nope - as I mentioned, it's happened to me twice, but the two times have been at two different pumps at two different stations. Sounds like I should get the evap system checked out.

I have to say, I'm a little ticked at how the fuel gauge drops off once you hit a quarter tank. It's not at all uncommon in my (brief) experience with this car to be driving down the highway with the trip computer telling me I have 70 miles to empty, and ten miles later the fuel light is on and I've got nothing but dashes showing. It makes it awfully difficult to plan fuel stops when I'm making longish runs on weekends.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hmmm, my light came on yesterday, but still showed 35 miles to empty. I almost never let it go below half but this empty tank snuck up on me. When I have had the low fuel light come on at a few other times , it will still how many miles left.
Trust me, it'll switch to dashes shortly after that.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The 'miles to empty' is an estimate based on your average of when the tank was full. It is NOT accurate when you get below 1/4 tank. At 1/4 tank, you have about 2.8 gallons of gas left. When the light comes on, you probably have less than a gallon. The light coming on doesn't mean you can drive normally right up until the last drop either. I always gas up at 1/4 tank.

Unfortunately, AR didn't calibrate the gas gauge with the reserve at the bottom; it's all at the top. Look at a 1 gallon jug of milk, then look at your car. Now imagine that's all the gas you have in that big car. That's about what you've got when you get down to 1/8 of a tank. When the light comes on, you don't have 35 miles of gas; you have maybe 10 if you're lucky.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have to say, I'm a little ticked at how the fuel gauge drops off once you hit a quarter tank. It's not at all uncommon in my (brief) experience with this car to be driving down the highway with the trip computer telling me I have 70 miles to empty, and ten miles later the fuel light is on and I've got nothing but dashes showing. It makes it awfully difficult to plan fuel stops when I'm making longish runs on weekends.
I haven't taken my QV on any long distance trips yet, but I could see that being frustrating. This is probably something Alfa could fix with a software update, but I'm not going to hold my breath. My advice would be to largely ignore the miles to empty and just get gas when you hit 1/4 tank. I've learned that when I'm doing my normal driving, I have to fill up at around 300 miles on the trip counter, so I just reset it every time I fill up and rely on that as my miles to empty.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
Regarding the fuel dashes, it is partly in how you read the gauge. I think AR intended:

N dashes means you have at least (N-1)/8 of a tank remaining. Other digital tank gauges seem to use that reading to mean that you have at least N/8 of a tank remaining. Neither is more correct than the other, just adapt.

I find that the odometer and MPG reading are reasonably reliable and that I can get a more meaningful estimate of fuel remaining by calculating 15.3-(odo/MPG) (sorry about the non-SI units for you kilometers, liters and liters/100km types). I also find that the DTE number is useless; in the extreme case 3 bars and DTE was over 300 miles; I had been driving down hill for a while and I guess the car figured I would continue to get 70MPG indefinitely.

FWIW: my Q4 fuel economy in a chain control area (my speed was limited by poor visibility to around 30MPH) was a miserable 22MPG, and that was mostly going down hill. Giulia apparently does not like going slow; especially not 30MPH which offers no good gear to be in.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
^ DTE uses for calculation average of very short past consumption (half an hour?) hence you are getting such crazy numbers sometime.....on other brands comp averages over longer time period (sometimes days) which better corresponds to one’s driving style and is in most cases more accurate....either way can be very accurate but in different conditions and different time periods....I simply gas tge car often even before it hits 1/4

·
Registered
14 Posts
This has been driving me nuts. I'm in A mode, my car shoes the gas icon and 44 miles to empty. Then next time i get in it shows 60 and one bar left. Then suddenly it turns to dashes, the last bar disappears and it's red. I have no idea how much gas I actually have. Could be anywhere from 60 to 0 miles left. So now what should have been a comfortable 12 mile drive home from work is instead "find the nearest gas station."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This has been driving me nuts. I'm in A mode, my car shoes the gas icon and 44 miles to empty. Then next time i get in it shows 60 and one bar left. Then suddenly it turns to dashes, the last bar disappears and it's red. I have no idea how much gas I actually have. Could be anywhere from 60 to 0 miles left. So now what should have been a comfortable 12 mile drive home from work is instead "find the nearest gas station."
This is my exact complaint as well. If running out of gas is a bad thing (it is), it stands to reason that the car should let me know how much gas I have left - and should get more precise, not less so, when the tank is low. I have a better sense of how much fuel is left in my Sabre than in my car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Other brands have gauges which drop off fast after 1/4 tank with a somewhat logarithmic display. If I left my M5 with 1/4 tank on shut off when I got in the next day, or just a few hours later it would be practically on empty and the range calculating 20-30 miles instead of 75 or 80. The difference here though is that without a true analog gauge where you can finely see where the needle sits (even if buffered a bit by the computer) and absent range display when at the bottom of the tank, these quantum-packets-of-information-display-bars really make it a do or die attempt to guess the last part of the range. This is also complicated by the Giulia's slightly small tank and dare I say marginal range.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Other brands have gauges which drop off fast after 1/4 tank with a somewhat logarithmic display. If I left my M5 with 1/4 tank on shut off when I got in the next day, or just a few hours later it would be practically on empty and the range calculating 20-30 miles instead of 75 or 80. The difference here though is that without a true analog gauge where you can finely see where the needle sits (even if buffered a bit by the computer) and absent range display when at the bottom of the tank, these quantum-packets-of-information-display-bars really make it a do or die attempt to guess the last part of the range. This is also complicated by the Giulia's slightly small tank and dare I say marginal range.
I find the cruising range in this car to be exceptional. On a 400 mile of 100% highway drive between Raleigh and Atlanta in A mode, the car computer indicated I averaged 40 miles/gallon. The fuel gauge was showing somewhat more than a quarter tank remaining. My past Audi and BMWs would have been running on fumes after that the same trip.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts