Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed that when I'm washing the Alfa and I my key is in my pocket, everytime I pass the water stream over the auto lock button on the door the doors lock!. It's no big deal but it makes it harder to wash the rear view mirrors when they fold themselves in.
Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
There’s a thread on this already as almost every car manufacturer does this now a days. Advice is to keep the key fob away not near the car when washing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There’s a thread on this already as almost every car manufacturer does this now a days. Advice is to keep the key fob away not near the car when washing.
I have tested that the remote works over long distance and thru walls - I routinely remote start my Giulia at my desk before I walk out of building. So keep a piece of aluminum foil or tin box handy to shield the signal.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have tested that the remote works over long distance and thru walls - I routinely remote start my Giulia at my desk before I walk out of building. So keep a piece of aluminum foil or tin box handy to shield the signal.
Yes, the fob does when using the buttons, but the issue here is the fob is too close to the car and the water simulates a hand over the handle, causing the car to unlock, but this will only happen within 5’ or so, not through walls or far away. This is typical with “proximity” keys (fob that doesn’t need a button pressed to unlock lock the car).

So yes, this is normal and the same thing happens with pretty much any car equipped with proximity keys.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Washed my car this weekend. I just put the fob inside the car. No lock/unlock when I sprayed/washed/grabbed the handles. And the other fob was inside the house only 15-20 feet away.

Reactions: ybba

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
mmmmm......I frequently hand wash my car using the high pressure washers and remember the handle lights going off, but don't recall the driver's/passenger's mirrors flipping in and out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Washed my car this weekend. I just put the fob inside the car. No lock/unlock when I sprayed/washed/grabbed the handles. And the other fob was inside the house only 15-20 feet away.
I think leave the key in the car did the trick - the car knows there is no need to lock/unlock the door. Things learned. Thank you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just disable the proximity lock/unlock feature entirely. This totally eliminates any chance of an amplifier being used. Look in settings in the infotainment system.
Chance were low someone sneak up on you in the house with a transmitter, but in public area there is a risk. Between tin box and disabling it, option 2 is a better solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts