Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we just entered the 3rd week in port with no sign of movement. i know that the port work 24-7 to get cars ready three shifts. I'm i to believe it takes longer to prep and update car then it does to built it. :frown2:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly my experience.

Phone rings. Voice says - The car will be here tomorrow. My voice says - Do what?
i would love to get that phone call. i think i would drop the phone and just stand there like an idiot not knowing what to say or do .

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I called my broker today, partly to get ready to pay for my new alternator and cable for the Ferrari, partly to get ready for the Quad. ;)

The problem with tracking is the disconnect from Alfa central. Heck even the maritime tracking systems don't even connect off shore. I don't think the cars are scanned again until they are ready to get their window stickers at port. So they can sit in that limbo JB status that they left the factory with until all the prep work is done and they are ready to go on the truck. So it could be one day, it could be 30. Sucks but it's not a simple as a brown cardboard box. Remember, it's vacation season here as well as in Italy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my broker today, partly to get ready to pay for my new alternator and cable for the Ferrari, partly to get ready for the Quad. ;)

The problem with tracking is the disconnect from Alfa central. Heck even the maritime tracking systems don't even connect off shore. I don't think the cars are scanned again until they are ready to get their window stickers at port. So they can sit in that limbo JB status that they left the factory with until all the prep work is done and they are ready to go on the truck. So it could be one day, it could be 30. Sucks but it's not a simple as a brown cardboard box. Remember, it's vacation season here as well as in Italy.
the problem is the car was promised july 8th little things like this keep alfa out of alot of homes and in the good graces of people who want a new are and go the german route instead of a fine Italian automobile .

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
the problem is the car was promised july 8th little things like this keep alfa out of alot of homes and in the good graces of people who want a new are and go the german route instead of a fine Italian automobile .
Right but this logistics train build up, like with the dealerships is going to take time. Better to under promise and over deliver than the reverse.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
The Old Joke

Logistics my you know what. The Italians have never heard of such a thing.
reminds me of an old joke: "why did the Italian Army lose the battle? When the artillery officer ordered more shells, they brought macaroni!"
it has always puzzled me how we (Italians) can design such beautiful & powerful autos and have all these logistical issues???....if we apply the same thought and skill that we do to design to the logistic side....:grin2:
the idea of this being part of the Italian charm will wear thin after a while.....or as we say.. "Normale"
Hamg in there....once it arrives all is forgiven

·
Registered
526 Posts
Exactly my experience.

Phone rings. Voice says - The car will be here tomorrow. My voice says - Do what?
Mine was even better...

I had just talked to them the day before and they have no clue "Still sitting at port"

Noon, the very following day, they call and say "Would you like to come see your car, it just arrived"

Needless to say I broke the speed limit getting there!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
reminds me of an old joke: "why did the Italian Army lose the battle? When the artillery officer ordered more shells, they brought macaroni!"
it has always puzzled me how we (Italians) can design such beautiful & powerful autos and have all these logistical issues???....if we apply the same thought and skill that we do to design to the logistic side....:grin2:
the idea of this being part of the Italian charm will wear thin after a while.....or as we say.. "Normale"
Hamg in there....once it arrives all is forgiven
Haha, good one. I will use it. And I remembered another historical point about Italy, communication, and coordination. Not since the time of Constantine the Great has Italy really had good coordination across the country. Think about it? How did the Roman Empire form and expand in the first place, let alone collapse? During the middle ages, including the Holy Roman Empire, Italy has always been a loose federation of city states and republics. Even after the end of the monarchy and unification in the 1800s. It still pretty much functions the same way. The agricultural regions could care less about the industrial regions and back and forth. This may have something to do with it. ;) I think the whole warring city states is the best analogy. But then even the Naval republics got their acts together. Like Venice, Pisa, Amalfi and Genoa. Their crests are on the Modern Naval ensign. Ah, those were the days. spoken like a true Veneziani. I think I need a Chris-Craft or one of these... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sal, which port did the car arrive to?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine was even better...

I had just talked to them the day before and they have no clue "Still sitting at port"

Noon, the very following day, they call and say "Would you like to come see your car, it just arrived"

Needless to say I broke the speed limit getting there!
After the car arrived a whole new set of problems arose. The dealer was about 90 miles away through Dallas traffic, which is terrible on a good day. The weather forecast was for thunderstorms with a possibility of hail for several days. I had no interest in driving to the dealer and driving the car back, but the car was finally so close. I said ship it to me. They said how about we drive it over. I answered with not a chance. Bring it over in an enclosed trailer. We argued a bit which just made my mood even worse after months of waiting. Then in a couple of hours a bright red car slowly backed out of a trailer. Months of waiting, logistics, Italians, who cares; after 22 years of waiting an new Alfa Romeo went rolling down my drive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I noticed in the news lately that Alfa is going to start using Jacksonville as well as a port of entry, maybe to help reduce some of the backlog delays ....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gentlemen I believe my girlfriend has got her visa!!! delivery is set. between 8/11-8/17. can't wait going to be longest 6 days ever!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts