Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Picked up my Giulia Friday afternoon. (25 miles on her) Super excited to take a small road trip later that afternoon. All was going great cruising along at 65mph when I decided to switch out from "N" to Dynamic to see what the feel would be at speed. Did not expect the sudden immediate response. A whole bunch of warning lights came on... Power steering. ECS, Hill assist and one or two more. All drove OK at speed, but as soon as I pulled off the highway and was below 20 mph you really felt the steering difference. Hardly any assist, and the car felt like it went into like a "safe" mode in regards to acceleration. Dealers were all closed late friday, and it seems the Alfa tech was not in Saturday in two separate dealerships near my house or further upon my trip on after calling.

Car was ok as I continued my trip, but I parked it until time to return. Bringing it by the dealer Monday to see whats what. I so hope its a simple fix. Needless to say, I was pretty bummed since this all happened about two hours after I picked it up from the dealer.

Have any other owners out there experienced any such issue? I will review the threads as soon as I have a few free minutes. Just needed to vent I think.

Here's to getting the bugs worked out "EARLY"!

Thanks for listening!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Typical Italian quality. Did you try rebooting the machine? A quick restart often isn’t enough. Many of the modules need an extended period of time to go fully asleep. I recommend shutting the car off, parking it overnight, making sure to keep the keys far enough away from the car so the proximity key doesn’t wake the car up. Then try restarting the next day. That is sometimes enough to clear up these kinds of glitches. If it keeps happening and if it’s repeatable then you really have something that can help the dealer tech diagnose and repair the car. Otherwise it’s a crap shoot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Freedomgli!
Yes, I tried restarting a few times. The last was overnight with key far away from car. Drove it back home today and all is same.
Will head over to dealer tomorrow to see what they say. Will report back.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What year and model Giulia did you get? There are updates available to the ecm on the 2017 cars, not sure about the 18s though. Dealer should have done them before delivery but that depends on the dealer/salesperson.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
what year is your car?? what model?? if it is a 2017 chances are all the software updates were not done.....
with the 17 cars the vast majority have been issue free once the software glitches have been worked out via updates...
there are 2 threads on the forum that deal with RRTs & TSBs...
might be proactive on your part to look them up so that you can be informed prior to the service.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2018 Ti Sport AWD
Supposedly the tech made all updates prior to my arrival on Friday?
I will review the threads in more detail later this evening.
Agreed! Always best to be informed before I speak with them again tomorrow.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
2018 Ti Sport AWD
Supposedly the tech made all updates prior to my arrival on Friday?
I will review the threads in more detail later this evening.
Agreed! Always best to be informed before I speak with them again tomorrow.
Thanks.
as an 18 it should have been updated...then again Alfa dealers are not created equal..
as you are in NY...hope it wasn't Larchmont:crying:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One would think. We shall see. Keeping positive until after tomorrow!
I'm on L.I. Not Larchmont! :)
Dealer/Sales has been very suportive in my calls at the very least.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome! hope you get it sorted soon... we have a nice meet at Limerock in May if you're interested in seeing what she can REALLY do :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update on my Ti issues....

Dropped off at dealer yesterday morning. Got a call from the service manager and indeed there are some issues that were not easily updated. I was told I would hear back today. I called back earlier this afternoon since I could not wait any longer, and was told the issue was a faulty connection to the module. The tech was going to continue to double check all, and then perform a road test to ensure all is as it should be.

Just got another call back from service manager. It turns out, the module is not functioning correctly, and they need to run it up the flag pole to "engineering" to hear what they say to do.
(sounds like it is a little more complex, and not simply a faulty connection ugg!)
Should hear back tomorrow with update after they speak to engineering.

Well, I must say, at least my first initial drive in "safe mode" over the entire weekend before I dropped at dealer for the warning light issues was still kinda nice.... I cant wait to try my car when it is working correctly LOL.
I only have the memory of the dealer test drive I took about three weeks ago. (In a working Giulia) My memories are not as good as they used to be, I need my car back soon!

Thanks for allowing me to vent, my family thanks you also!​

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quick update on my Ti issues....

Dropped off at dealer yesterday morning. Got a call from the service manager and indeed there are some issues that were not easily updated. I was told I would hear back today. I called back earlier this afternoon since I could not wait any longer, and was told the issue was a faulty connection to the module. The tech was going to continue to double check all, and then perform a road test to ensure all is as it should be.

Just got another call back from service manager. It turns out, the module is not functioning correctly, and they need to run it up the flag pole to "engineering" to hear what they say to do.
(sounds like it is a little more complex, and not simply a faulty connection ugg!)
Should hear back tomorrow with update after they speak to engineering.

Well, I must say, at least my first initial drive in "safe mode" over the entire weekend before I dropped at dealer for the warning light issues was still kinda nice.... I cant wait to try my car when it is working correctly LOL.
I only have the memory of the dealer test drive I took about three weeks ago. (In a working Giulia) My memories are not as good as they used to be, I need my car back soon!

Thanks for allowing me to vent, my family thanks you also!​
It's good to hear that things look to be getting sorted out for you and I hope you get your car back soon. I have had mine for just over a week and looking forward to going on my first road trip with it this weekend. Will be going over the 1000 mile mark so it should be fun. Good luck and I hope you will be enjoying your Giulia soon.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
A loose connection can damage a module. That is one of the reasons why they instruct you to disconnect the battery before messing with any of the electronics and also why you should ground your self and everything else before handling any of the electronics.

It is a good sign that your shop is using some caution with this repair. It would not be good to simply replace a broken component and have the repair work for only a short while.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What dealer in NY?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick Update....

Master Alfa Tech ordered a new wiring harness section that plugs into the module. Tried to correct the original with no positive result.
New part was overnighted and is at service location. I am told it is a sizable undertaking, so car will not be ready until EOD Monday.

Here's to hoping after this new install, the car will be as it should and I will get my car back. Feeling like I never even bought one!

The car has now been in the shop three times longer than I have owned it!!!

I asked for a QV loaner, and got the chuckle I was expecting. :)

Fingers crossed this fix will yield the desired result and solve the issue.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
as an 18 it should have been updated...then again Alfa dealers are not created equal..
as you are in NY...hope it wasn't Larchmont:crying:
What's wrong with Larchmont *gulp
That's where I got my QV from

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
New part was overnighted and is at service location. I am told it is a sizable undertaking, so car will not be ready until EOD Monday.
It is good this is being handled, but be ready for a bit of delay. The way local Alfa Techs work with FCA Technical Support is a slow process with messages back and forth over email. Hopefully they flew in a Tech who will complete the repair and have authority to do things the local Techs cannot do without an email exchange, but 5is is an expensive option, especially over more than a day or two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts