Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The car you linked to rolled off the assembly line on May 20th. So the paint has been curing for more than a month and a half already.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I washed mine only for a couple of times then I went sealant (Wolfgang) which keeps the shine nicely. I think you're safe as Macgeek indicates though I don't think you'll have time to wax as you'll be hooning around with a big grin ;) Have fun!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The car you linked to rolled off the assembly line on May 20th. So the paint has been curing for more than a month and a half already.
How were you able to identify the manufacturing date? Is it coded in the window sticker some how. I don't see anything obvious?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
For what ever reason, and whether it is the proper advice or not, I have always been told by local Body Shop painters, that you should wait at least 30 days before you apply wax on top of new paint. Allowing all of the solvents to evaporate from the new paint before you cover it with wax, is their reason.
I would assume, that by the time you receive your new Giulia, painted in Italy, it will be safe to wax it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks for the reminder guys. I need to give mine her first wax now. We've had her two months now. Wax is a nice paint protection and makes the car look so much better. Shoot me if you ever see me putting Armor All on the tires!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had my white TI for a month. Washed it today and am ready to wax it. Anyway brand preferences?
Klasse is my favorite and I have tried most. The two step kit is great. The first step is a non-abrasive cleaner sealant and the second is a sealer. You can just use the first if you want to keep it simple. It is safe on plastic and rubber and is great on glass too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For what ever reason, and whether it is the proper advice or not, I have always been told by local Body Shop painters, that you should wait at least 30 days before you apply wax on top of new paint. Allowing all of the solvents to evaporate from the new paint before you cover it with wax, is their reason.
I would assume, that by the time you receive your new Giulia, painted in Italy, it will be safe to wax it.
that was true of old single-stage paints (no clear coat). I picked up my BMW from the factory a week and half after it was built and immediately threw a coat of wax on her.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Zymol ...??

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
241 Posts
In a past life I've work as a professional detailer. My two go to waxes/sealants are Dodo Juice 'pro' line and Nextzett (formerly Einzett) Glanz wax. Dodo is a hybrid carnauba/polymer. It's pricey but it's really great. Glanz is a more economical polymer based sealant. Both combine amazing shine with long-lasting protection.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
QV

In a past life I've work as a professional detailer. My two go to waxes/sealants are Dodo Juice 'pro' line and Nextzett (formerly Einzett) Glanz wax.
I've used the Einzett Glanz before with good results.

On our QV I wanted to throw a couple of quick coats of something on for protection while I decided what sealant or ceramic coating to use.

I picked up some Pinnacle Black Label Synergy, which is supposed to be a carnauba wax with ceramic particles in it. It's expensive but I got it on a 50% off sale. It went on super smoothly and has that warm carnauba look. It might not be the best protection (I have no idea if the ceramic particles actually do anything) but it's a great feel good wax that is really nice to use. 6 months later it still has good gloss and beading ability. I will probably strip it off soon and use a sealant and then top coat with this wax again since I really like the gloss.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I find Zymol to be the best old school straight up Carnauba wax, but Sonax Hybrid to be the best modern blend. Used it on my old Alpine White F80 M3 and it absolutely glowed in the sun...amazing. Very unusual on a white car. It is equally as effective on my Rosso Competizione Quadrifoglio.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've had my white TI for a month. Washed it today and am ready to wax it. Anyway brand preferences?
The brand you use is not nearly as important as surface preparation. This is why without a non-abrasive cleaner to start you will waste time and money and if you have a dark car it will look like **** with all the streaking. This is why I go back to Klasse over and over.

AutoGeek.com has as amazing selection of products.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
that was true of old single-stage paints (no clear coat). I picked up my BMW from the factory a week and half after it was built and immediately threw a coat of wax on her.
Just because that is what you did, doesn't make it right.
Here is a link to a Meguiar's forum. I found others with similar answers. Search: "How long should I wait to wax a newly painted car" Most of the replies state at least one full month to even 3 full months.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-to-wax-after-fresh-paint#24TTRhxtQR9WgQq8.97

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just because that is what you did, doesn't make it right.
Here is a link to a Meguiar's forum. I found others with similar answers. Search: "How long should I wait to wax a newly painted car" Most of the replies state at least one full month to even 3 full months.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-to-wax-after-fresh-paint#24TTRhxtQR9WgQq8.97
I spent several years working as a high-end professional detailer
Those are based on old-fashioned out of date ideas of solvent-based (acrylic/urethane) paints from the pre-1990s production cars or body shop resprays. Not modern water-based multi-stage factory paint. Basically those ideas haven't been true since the late 1980s. Also if you've ever seen a car being delivered to a dealer for the first time you've probably noticed that all of the horizontal surface typically come covered in a white vinyl wrap. That is typically installed at the factory within hours of coming off the line. You could never have done that with single-stage paint.

Also the month and year of manufacture of your car is printed on the black and white label on the driver's side door jamb.

http://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2013/04/01/when-to-wax-a-brand-new-car/

So wax-on wax-off Danielsan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts