Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fuel filler door is huge on these Giulia's and as you look down the face of the door it looks wavy like its dented - but the door is plastic so it must be how it is molded.

Anyway any of you with darker cars have this issue - or is it a bad door?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - taking car in tomorrow to discuss and will be checking all Giulia's on the lot for similar...hopefully one off issue.

Hoping this comes pre-painted (I know the washer caps do not - but some parts do, it just depends) Seeing rivet witness marks is not normal along with a dimple in the bottom. Must be the way the plastic was formed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took the car to the dealer - they did see an issue, the problem is they also see them to a much much lesser degree on other cars and now we are at "they are all like that". Most of the cars on the lot are definitely not as bad as mine. I tried to take some photos but you need the right light and angle for them to be shown. Some say the panel comes pre-painted and others say it needs to be painted.

From what I can tell by the molding process there is an inner structure and outer panel. There are 4-5 mounting points and it is those points where you can see the witness marks in the panel in a circle on the edge of the panel. Much like the rivets on a defender or old Jeeps, just not that bad - but bad enough they catch your eye on an otherwise smooth fender panel.

I guess I will probably have to raise this to Alfa care to get a resolution...

·
Registered
375 Posts
One other issue (more for safety than anything) is that the fuel filler door locks when all doors are locked. This is great when the car is parked.

We're taking a trip to the East Coast (from Chicago) and as you get into NY/NJ area, the laws out there require the attendants at the gas stations to fill up the vehicles. I doubt anything would happen, but again, all locks would have to be unlocked for the fuel door to be open and accessible to the attendant. On Mercedes, and I believe BMW, the doors can remain locked but still have access to fuel up.

Not a big thing, but just thinking in terms of a safety standpoint...

I tried it and - fuel door stays locked (Wife got in drivers seat, turned on car, locked doors, turned off car).

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
that's incorrect at least for current BMWs when you lock the doors the fuel door locks...you cannot open the fuel door with the locks engaged...AND if you LOCK the doors prior to closing the fuel door..it will not secure in place.

·
Registered
375 Posts
that's incorrect at least for current BMWs when you lock the doors the fuel door locks...you cannot open the fuel door with the locks engaged...AND if you LOCK the doors prior to closing the fuel door..it will not secure in place.
They may have changed this in later years... I think I remember from our X5, it was open... plus found this here... (again, only locking from inside the car of course :wink2:)...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19975890

Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
The central locking button on the console only locks the doors not the fuel flap.
and this. Learned this from a poster in New Jersey where they have a law that doesn't allow self-service gas stations, so they still have gas station attendants. When the car is locked from the inside the fuel door is unlocked.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
They may have changed this in later years... I think I remember from our X5, it was open... plus found this here... (again, only locking from inside the car of course :wink2:)...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19975890

Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
The central locking button on the console only locks the doors not the fuel flap.
and this. Learned this from a poster in New Jersey where they have a law that doesn't allow self-service gas stations, so they still have gas station attendants. When the car is locked from the inside the fuel door is unlocked.
my newest BMWs are a 2014 X1 3.5 & 2016 340 x-drive...and those work as I mentioned...my older ones are model year 1989 & 2000 so honestly I don't remember....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.