Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At community request I'm starting a thread on Water meth injection, at a "high-level" what it is, which one I have, cost, installation journey, and my results.
Please feel free to share your results if you decide to go down this rabbit hole.

This is a on going process so please check back for updates.

What is water meth injection:

There's pages and pages of in depth information on water meth so I'm just going to keep it simple here.
It does four main things:
It helps prevent detonation
It helps reduce carbon buildup

It adds additional fuel in to your air mixture
It cools your intake air temps

Here's a video if you have time

Which kit I'm using:

Its a Snow Stage 1 kit

Cost of the Kit and installation:
$290 water meth kit
$5 drill bits to drill holes
$3 zip ties

Installation in to a Giulia:

That's all for now, I need to get the car up in the air to run the water line to the intake.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,423 Posts
Where have you decided to inject at?

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where have you decided to inject at?
I figued I'd drill and tap here (on the underside so its hidden)
Its probably not the most ideal place, post turbo is probably better but then im not sure where I could drill and tap at.

Where is the Intake air temp sensor located at on these engines? From my understanding there's two?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Looks good. Only thing I would of done different is went with bigger tank. That small tank gonna need constant fill up. You could of thrown in trunk under liner where spare tire normally goes. We fabricated a 2 gal aluminum tank that fits inside of trunk corner. The dead space where trunk door hinge is opposite of battery. I’m not familiar with a 2.0 but on QV you want to inject at inlets. So we 3D printed a titanium piece with injection ports on side. I just don’t feel comfortable screwing into plastic. If that spray nozzle comes it it’s gonna be curtains.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Iat1 is at the o2 sensor on the plastic boost tube (not to be confused with the normal 02 sensors a in cat and post cat).

Iat2 is after the ic at the im

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good. Only thing I would of done different is went with bigger tank. That small tank gonna need constant fill up. You could of thrown in trunk under liner where spare tire normally goes. We fabricated a 2 gal aluminum tank that fits inside of trunk corner. The dead space where trunk door hinge is opposite of battery. I’m not familiar with a 2.0 but on QV you want to inject at inlets. So we 3D printed a titanium piece with injection ports on side. I just don’t feel comfortable screwing into plastic. If that spray nozzle comes it it’s gonna be curtains.
Tank size wont be to bad, but I might end up going larger down the line. I just used the tank provided. Cylinder volume is a premium with this engine. I will likely only end up injecting 100ml/min probably a fraction of what your injecting. At 100ml/min nozzle id have roughly 28 minutes of non stop spraying

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Tank size wont be to bad, but I might end up going larger down the line. I just used the tank provided. Cylinder volume is a premium with this engine. I will likely only end up injecting 100ml/min probably a fraction of what your injecting. At 100ml/min nozzle id have roughly 28 minutes of non stop spraying
i hear ya. But it’s a pain in ass if your running hard one night you might go through 2-3 of those 3/4 gallon tanks. Can always go larger like you said. For starting out use what they have. Then maybe upgrade to clear 2 gal. The black tanks suck cause can’t see in em! Clear easier.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hear ya. But it’s a pain in ass if your running hard one night you might go through 2-3 of those 3/4 gallon tanks. Can always go larger like you said. For starting out use what they have. Then maybe upgrade to clear 2 gal. The black tanks suck cause can’t see in em! Clear easier.
Thats exactly what I was thinking
Do you have a picture of your tank location on hand?

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Here's a good video of what wmi is

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a good video of what wmi is

Thanks!

I went ahead and added it to the top post for anyone who stumbles upon this thread years from now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
From my understanding injection pre turbo "could" cause damage to the turbine blades because they are moving at such high speed that hitting those tiny bits of water it acts like sand. Dont quote me on this I remember reading it somewhere at some point in my life so it could be 100% false. Also I think injecting anywhere pre intercooler wouldn't be ideal since the water meth could condensate on it. Another issue pre intercooler is technically it lowers the efficiency you could reach because the cooler the warmer the air going into the intercooler is the easier it is to lower the temperature and I assume the watermeth has a fixed cooling capacity being chemical cooling in nature so injecting post intercooler would yield best results?
I am no expert this is just all theory so please correct me if I am wrong :)

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
From my understanding injection pre turbo "could" cause damage to the turbine blades because they are moving at such high speed that hitting those tiny bits of water it acts like sand. Dont quote me on this I remember reading it somewhere at some point in my life so it could be 100% false. Also I think injecting anywhere pre intercooler wouldn't be ideal since the water meth could condensate on it. Another issue pre intercooler is technically it lowers the efficiency you could reach because the cooler the warmer the air going into the intercooler is the easier it is to lower the temperature and I assume the watermeth has a fixed cooling capacity being chemical cooling in nature so injecting post intercooler would yield best results?
I am no expert this is just all theory so please correct me if I am wrong :)
Your pretty much correct on every front, There are a few things to note.

I'm not spraying enough to damage the compressor wheel, there have been cases where those who spray large amounts wear the fins and eventually cause failure. Essentially you don't want methanol to pool/sit on the blades. Methanol is corrosive to aluminum and absolutely will destroy it. When set up correctly there's no risk to the turbo. Using a 50/50 mix will also help prevent this and is another reason why its a good idea to run a water and meth mix instead of pure methanol.

Post inter-cooler is the best spot for performance but then the ecu wouldn't see the reduction in temperature and it can cause issues with tuning.
Most of the cooling capacity comes from the water turning from a liquid to a gas during the combustion process. During this time, water absorbs heat in the combustion chamber and cools it. This is why water has a near infinite octane rating and works so well to cool combustion.

Think about when you get out of the pool on a sunny day and you get really cold. You get cold because when the water turns from a liquid to a gas during evaporation, it takes your body heat with it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Your pretty much correct on every front, There are a few things to note.

I'm not spraying enough to damage the compressor wheel, there have been cases where those who spray large amounts wear the fins and eventually cause failure. Essentially you don't want methanol to pool/sit on the blades. Methanol is corrosive to aluminum and absolutely will destroy it. When set up correctly there's no risk to the turbo. Using a 50/50 mix will also help prevent this and is another reason why its a good idea to run a water and meth mix instead of pure methanol.

Post inter-cooler is the best spot for performance but then the ecu wouldn't see the reduction in temperature and it can cause issues with tuning.
Most of the cooling capacity comes from the water turning from a liquid to a gas during the combustion process. During this time, water absorbs heat in the combustion chamber and cools it. This is why water has a near infinite octane rating and works so well to cool combustion.

Think about when you get out of the pool on a sunny day and you get really cold. You get cold because when the water turns from a liquid to a gas during evaporation, it takes your body heat with it.
You could always tap the boost tube but at 30psi you want it done right

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I like the idea of using the windshield fluid tank.. there should be a way to tap power in the hood.
Is it always spraying? Or do you have a button to do it at will?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts